Some advice for a small desktop

Campbellsoup

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a very nice main desktop for about 7 years now and i think i could stretch it some more by recently upgrading some rams and a larger SSD capacity + minor cleanings. Got it from fortran in 2013 and it's been quite steady. Have generally been on windows and little ubuntu OS for my usage.

Due to a preference in my boss's usage of macOS, i am looking into a hackintosh build with a small form factor (SFF). Tried searching around here but don't see much discussions on these (SFF + hackintosh). Will be using this for work related documents editing, surfing, video, garageband recordings and iMovie. Looking at like a time span of 3-5 years with approx 800 as budget.

Have been looking around a bit and wanted some advises for a hackintosh build (just looking at the hardware portions to conform to hardwarezone's policy):

1) Intel NUC8i5BEH build
a) Add in 16GB RAM
b) Add in samung evo 970 500GB m.2 NVME
c) BCM94360CS2 related cards (could skip this)

2) Asrock Deskmini 310 Intel build
a) Add in 16GB RAM
d) Intel processor (Haven't really decided)

3) Asrock Deskmini 310 AMD build
a) Add in 16GB RAM
d) Ryzen processor (Haven't really decided)

or potentially use the money above to build a micro or mini ATX build for hackintosh. :o

Anyone has done this and can share thoughts for going with the builds they went? :s12:

hellspawn_one

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think for the Intel NUC, the wifi card come built in (i got the 7th gen version and it came with wifi card). So you only need the RAM and storage.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u want hackintosh, gen 8 NUC is easy to dual boot windows and catalina. the 15~25w cpu is weak though
https://imgur.com/a/JPFrfbG

I recommend the deskmini ryzen instead with 2400G because having a more powerful 65w cpu and being able to game is better. Build price is about the same as nuc
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...kmini-a300-budget-tiny-stx-build-6153015.html

If you still want to play with hackintosh, a cheaper alternative to nuc is to buy thinkpad x230 for less than $180, then connect to a monitor.
QGx8cQD.jpg

Dont buy second gen or older laptop since the latest mac doesnt support. will be stuck with high sierra or mojave

Last edited:

naked123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nvidia gpu doesnt work in hackintosh catalina only high sierra

best compatibility would be intel cpu + amd gpu if you want hardware acceleration

Campbellsoup

Reaction score
@hellspawn_one: thanks! i looked at the NUC 7 series as well but i figure the NUC 8 series i3 versions are better than the NUC 7 i7 ones. The hackintosh should work with ethernet points and i might explore wifi to keep things neater since this is a alternative work station.

@yusoffb01 your asrock build was the reason for my point 2 and 3! i searched quite a bit and found your thread... which led me to read up more because i was thinking if there were other SFF instead of just NUC. Also explored gigabyte and asus SFF ones but i tend to want to go with a common platform since i am doing hackintosh for the first time. Thanks for the inspiration! And the images you've attached.

Campbellsoup

Reaction score
nvidia gpu doesnt work in hackintosh catalina only high sierra

best compatibility would be intel cpu + amd gpu if you want hardware acceleration

Roger that! Thanks for the heads up. I am quite favoring the asrock intel build for now because of the quicksync MacOS might use + apple uses intel chips. :s12::s12:

Let me read up a bit more to understand... :D

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yup. need broadcom if not wrong

One of the only mitx boards I could find to swap out the onboard wifi is the Asus one.

My current hackintosh mitx build is >>.

The replacement wifi/bt chip can find on aliexp. needed in order for airdrop.

JustBored

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack thread, also looking for sffc w/ budget. Theres deskmini available at aftershockz for $600- amd 3200g, radeon vega 8, 8gig ram(+75$ to 16), 512gb. Decent deal? Probably advisable to upgrade ram right.

Campbellsoup

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack thread, also looking for sffc w/ budget. Theres deskmini available at aftershockz for $600- amd 3200g, radeon vega 8, 8gig ram(+75$ to 16), 512gb. Decent deal? Probably advisable to upgrade ram right.

I think pretty decent. I saw deskmini barebones for 259. Infinity computers selling for 497 (deskmini + processor + low profile cooler). Add ram and say 512gb m.2 roughly there too. 600-700 range? Depending on the specs.

You can search for the pricelist of sim Lim square shops and see. There's also a carousell seller doing this build with ryzen 3400G at 705 I think. I saw his user in hwz bumping up posts too.

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One of the only mitx boards I could find to swap out the onboard wifi is the Asus one.

My current hackintosh mitx build is >>.

The replacement wifi/bt chip can find on aliexp. needed in order for airdrop.

:eek::love::love::love:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.