Macbook Pro 13" 2020

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes MacBook Pro are getting cheaper. This is similar to 2015 MacBook Pro which it is the lowest price point to get a MacBook Pro that time. After 2016 redesign, price increases again. now in the 4th year of the redesign, price becomes another new Low.

I spent $2780 for my MBP 2017 also with 512gb storage and 16GB. 4 ports Touch Bar version.

Now only cost $2549.

That’s because of the new touch bar feature. When I got my mid 2015 MBP, was the flagship model at only $3.3k+ (2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB). What I really miss about the models from 2016 onwards is the illuminated Apple logo.

I’m still using it now, still going strong.

Last edited:

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
That’s because of the new touch bar feature. When I got my mid 2015 MBP, was the flagship model at only $3.3k+ (2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB). What I really miss about the models from 2016 onwards is the illuminated Apple logo.

I’m still using it now, still going strong.

Yes it is the touchbar that makes the price up.

Personally I prefer the scissor keyboard on my MBP 2017.

MBP is known to be lasting seriously. One can easily use it for close to 10 years even.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes it is the touchbar that makes the price up.

Personally I prefer the scissor keyboard on my MBP 2017.

MBP is known to be lasting seriously. One can easily use it for close to 10 years even.

My 2015 one is also scissors type. This is my second MBP as my first was the 2010 one in which shortly after the 5-year mark, GPU failed causing the MBP to auto shutdown and reboot everytime the graphic card switches. I’ve a colleague still using his old MBA which is nearly 10 years old, probably the first model

I might continue to use my current one until it also gives up, but also might be needing a batt change first as capacity is down to around 84%.

Will see next year’s MBP models as rumoured to be ARM-based.

Last edited:

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My 2015 one is also scissors type. This is my second MBP as my first was the 2010 one in which shortly after the 5-year mark, GPU failed causing the MBP to auto shutdown and reboot everytime the graphic card switches. I’ve a colleague still using his old MBA which is nearly 10 years old, probably the first model

I might continue to use my current one until it also gives up, but also might be needing a batt change first as capacity is down to around 84%.

Will see next year’s MBP models as rumoured to be ARM-based.

MBP won’t go ARM. It will be a ultra portable which will be going ARM.

Reaction score
10th gen pricing damn not worth it. Refurb mbp16 base model is slightly under $3k, compared to mbp13 10th gen 2.7k. Though now it is out of stock

Momentumm

Master Member
Reaction score
Wow. Think I might get this after a year of using Windows with Lenovo mainly for gaming. My DBS corporate promo is about 20-30 dollars cheaper than the education promo Lol.

I think the price is really not bad for the specs. I'm still digging the date design.

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no wifi 6
no 14" display

looks like my 13" late 2013 doesnt need upgrading yet :s13:

MilgaussSC

Reaction score
also btw, keep in mind if you are after performance and want the best in thermals, the 4 thunderbolt model is alot different internally compared to the 2 thunderbolt model.

This is the internals of the 2 thunderbolt model
DICvm4w11sDrZQoF.large

This is the internals of the 4 thunderbolt model
TAxaouVYLyTSIVmL.large

The 4 thunderbolt model have better speakers, better thermals, bigger battery (though the battery is very small in difference from 54.5w to 58w) and if im not wrong better microphones.

Additionally, the CPU in these devices are different in terms of their wattage. the 2 thunderbolt model is only 15watts vs the 25-28watts on the 4 thunderbolt models. This equals more performance, thats why the 2 thuderbolt model starts at 1.4ghz processor vs the 2.0ghz on the 4thunderbolt models

The better thermals is NOT just because of the 2 fans, but the chassis design too. If you are familiar with the 2012-2015 retinas, the bottom of the macbook pro theres 2 slits at the edges for additional airflow.
wZtqxWPxgRfjRxGb.large

The 2 thunderbolt port macbook pro is more reminiscent of the macbook air. The intake and exhaust is all in the hinge of the macbook.

I hope this helps your purchase decision when it comes to the pros. I returned my 2020 macbook air due to the heat issues i was facing with the laptop. If you are contemplating a macbook air instead of the pro. It really depends on what you will be doing/your workflow. The macbook air is fine if you are using just for spotify, social media, emails, netflix. But thats it. Anything more it will start to heat up and the fans will kick in. High temperatures and loud fan noises is what made me return it. Now with how we are working from home due to covid-19, i noticed the computer start to stutter with just video call and safari and maybe my word application open. When I tried to screen share, the laptop just slows to a crawl with the fans at max speed and temps at 100 degrees.

If you really want the air, get the base model with i3, at SGD$1,449 for a modern 2020 macbook, its a good deal. the i3 version has better thermals compared to the i5. If you do pick the i5, its already at SGD$1,599. I would really recommend you to get the base model macbook pro for SGD$1,799. The thermals alone is worth it imo. Dont be fooled by the spec sheet of the macbook air with its 10th generation i5, that i5 processor performs worse compared to the 8th generation i5s found in the macbook pro due to the thermal constraints of the macbook air.

Last edited:

Chevalier

Master Member
Reaction score
also btw, keep in mind if you are after performance and want the best in thermals, the 4 thunderbolt model is alot different internally compared to the 2 thunderbolt model.

DICvm4w11sDrZQoF.large

TAxaouVYLyTSIVmL.large

The 4 thunderbolt model have better speakers, better thermals, bigger battery (though the battery is very small in difference from 54.5w to 58w) and if im not wrong better microphones.

Additionally, the CPU in these devices are different in terms of their wattage. the 2 thunderbolt model is only 15watts vs the 25-28watts on the 4 thunderbolt models. This equals more performance, thats why the 2 thuderbolt model starts at 1.4ghz processor vs the 2.0ghz on the 4thunderbolt models

The better thermals is NOT just because of the 2 fans, but the chassis design too. If you are familiar with the 2012-2015 retinas, the bottom of the macbook pro theres 2 slits at the edges for additional airflow.
wZtqxWPxgRfjRxGb.large

The 2 thunderbolt port macbook pro is more reminiscent of the macbook air. The intake and exhaust is all in the hinge of the macbook.

I hope this helps your purchase decision when it comes to the pros. I returned my 2020 macbook air due to the heat issues i was facing with the laptop. If you are contemplating a macbook air instead of the pro. It really depends on what you will be doing/your workflow. The macbook air is fine if you are using just for spotify, social media, emails, netflix. But thats it. Anything more it will start to heat up and the fans will kick in. High temperatures and loud fan noises is what made me return it. Now with how we are working from home due to covid-19, i noticed the computer start to stutter with just video call and safari and maybe my word application open. When I tried to screen share, the laptop just slows to a crawl with the fans at max speed and temps at 100 degrees.

If you really want the air, get the base model with i3, at SGD$1,449 for a modern 2020 macbook, its a good deal. the i3 version has better thermals compared to the i5. If you do pick the i5, its already at SGD$1,599. I would really recommend you to get the base model macbook pro for SGD$1,799. The thermals alone is worth it imo. Dont be fooled by the spec sheet of the macbook air with its 10th generation i5, that i5 processor performs worse compared to the 8th generation i5s found in the macbook pro due to the thermal constraints of the macbook air.

one of the best posts i've seen in this forum in YEARS. kudos man!

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insightful post.

I ordered the MBA with i5 and am returning it because of the constant high temps (100C) and more than >8000 rpm fan noise. I have attempted to use turbo switcher to turn off turbo boost but the program does not work all the time. This is based on just using light surfing of internet (Youtube) and playing videos and the fan speed and temps will go up.

May I know which MBP are you planning to get? Will you be getting the 10th gen 13 inch MBP for the better thermals? My concern is that the 8th gen 13 inch MBP may have similar thermal issues like the MBA.

were u using Safari or other browser?

MilgaussSC

Reaction score
Thanks for the insightful post.

I ordered the MBA with i5 and am returning it because of the constant high temps (100C) and more than >8000 rpm fan noise. I have attempted to use turbo switcher to turn off turbo boost but the program does not work all the time. This is based on just using light surfing of internet (Youtube) and playing videos and the fan speed and temps will go up.

May I know which MBP are you planning to get? Will you be getting the 10th gen 13 inch MBP for the better thermals? My concern is that the 8th gen 13 inch MBP may have similar thermal issues like the MBA.

I will be getting the 10th gen variant. Either with 16gb ram, 512gb and i7, or the 16gb ram, 1tb and i5. I’m waiting on reviews for the i5 vs i7. I want a laptop to last me 4 years minimum. My old 15 inch 2015 lasted me 4 years++ without any issues.

As for you concern, there are plenty of reviews of the 8th gen variant. Just search 2019 13inch base model MacBook Pro 13. Many YouTube videos of it. It’s essentially the same laptop only with the removal of the butterfly keys and double the storage

Chevalier

Master Member
Reaction score
I will be getting the 10th gen variant. Either with 16gb ram, 512gb and i7, or the 16gb ram, 1tb and i5. I’m waiting on reviews for the i5 vs i7. I want a laptop to last me 4 years minimum. My old 15 inch 2015 lasted me 4 years++ without any issues.

As for you concern, there are plenty of reviews of the 8th gen variant. Just search 2019 13inch base model MacBook Pro 13. Many YouTube videos of it. It’s essentially the same laptop only with the removal of the butterfly keys and double the storage

i'm wondering if apple will pull the same stunt they did last year....release a 15" in and then the 16" in nov.

i am in the market for a new laptop and like you i'm just keeping an eye out on the reviews in the days to come....really wished the rumours were true about the 14"

MilgaussSC

Reaction score
I am using Chrome. I have also read that many people that doesn't face the thermal and fan issues while using Safari. However, if my i5 MBA cannot handle basic Youtube in Chrome or playing videos (requiring constant 100C and >8000rpm fan speeds), then I am not sure if I should continue using it (perhaps my MBA is a faulty set, or Chrome is the culprit here).

There was also one night where the fan kept running at full speed (the noise is evidently loud) despite the lid being closed (I believe I only had the Chrome browser kept open).

Like many others, I decided to ignore the fan noise and use it for a few days but it gets annoying at times even at low or mild usage of web browsing (no gaming or photo/video editing on the MBA). After using the MBA for 14 days, I guess returning the MBA would be the best option. I have 3 other older Macbooks (2 Macbook Pros and 1 Macbook) and never experienced such loud fan speed noises for simple or light use of applications.

The i3 MBA may fare better from fan noise and thermal issues, but I can't comment personally since I don't own one. Planning to replace the MBA with the new 13 MBP, hopefully I won't face similar thermal/fan noise issues.

Same here, will also wait for more reviews to come out. My main concern is with the thermals and fan noise issues, hopefully, this ain't the problem with the improved thermals of the MBP as compared to the MBA. :o

Yup, I pretty much experience the same thing as you. I understand what Apple is doing with the macbook air cooling design, the fan is NOT a CPU fan, its more of a case fan. Think of an exhaust fan at the back of a tower desktop. However, I can't help but feel that a heat pipe would have been so much better. But what do I know.

I want a macbook that will last me 3 - 5 more years, with the air always at 70 - 100 degrees constantly, I doubt it will last that long. Also, I thought I could tolerate the fan noise too. Initially, I was I thought the fan was not too bad. But after a while, when I'm just video calling and browsing on safari, the fans are at 5000 - 7000rpm. It's just annoying. Also, I experienced that issue with you where I closed the lid overnight. The next morning when I woke it up, it was uncomfortably hot. I only had discord and safari open. That's it.

Another thing I would like to mention is regarding touch id on the macbook air. It doesn't work half the time!! I don't know if it's just my unit or what, but touch id on it is really hit or miss. Maybe the thing is just stuttering or something and struggling to keep up with processes.

1scape

Banned
Reaction score

DICvm4w11sDrZQoF.large

TAxaouVYLyTSIVmL.large

wZtqxWPxgRfjRxGb.large

hey you mention that the internal of 2 Thunderbolt model of mbp look similiar to the mba, then why do advise to go for the mbp instead of the mba when it cost more? won't it have the same thermal issue if that's the case?

i got until the 9 May to decide whether to return my i5 mba 2020 lol.

touch id is working fine for me. i use brave browser instead of safari and chrome.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.