I have to say the New 10th gen CPU and Z490 is Crappy......

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, its crappy..... Since the CPU has just 16 lanes of PCIE (never change for donkey years), if all 16 are allocated to graphics, the rest needs to go through the chipset. No doubt Intel is nice to include up to 24 lanes. Nice!!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-z490-comet_lake_s-motherboards

But here is the problem... See that DMI 3.0 link? Its just as fast as PCIE 3.0 4X....... just 4GB/s. Your nvme, NIC, SATA, USB etc etc... all uses that 4GB/s. Now you can see where the bottleneck is.

Of course, you can reduce the GPU to 8x and have 8 lanes for nvme. But its stupid for a flagship cpu, chipset and board (budget ones are fine).

OK, I know AMD also sucks in their link. but at least the x570 has PCIE 4.0 x4. thats 8GB/s. Then AMD has more PCIE lanes on their CPU! So, we could have full 16 lanes for GPU and 8 more for others. Then they even have USB that goes to the CPU. Minimise all I/O bottlenecks.

Reaction score
Yes, its crappy..... Since the CPU has just 16 lanes of PCIE (never change for donkey years), if all 16 are allocated to graphics, the rest needs to go through the chipset. No doubt Intel is nice to include up to 24 lanes. Nice!!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-z490-comet_lake_s-motherboards

But here is the problem... See that DMI 3.0 link? Its just as fast as PCIE 3.0 4X....... just 4GB/s. Your nvme, NIC, SATA, USB etc etc... all uses that 4GB/s. Now you can see where the bottleneck is.

Of course, you can reduce the GPU to 8x and have 8 lanes for nvme. But its stupid for a flagship cpu, chipset and board (budget ones are fine).

OK, I know AMD also sucks in their link. but at least the x570 has PCIE 4.0 x4. thats 8GB/s. Then AMD has more PCIE lanes on their CPU! So, we could have full 16 lanes for GPU and 8 more for others. Then they even have USB that goes to the CPU. Minimise all I/O bottlenecks.

the moment they used 14nm chip is already lost the game liao :s22:

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
the moment they used 14nm chip is already lost the game liao :s22:

IMHO, the 14nm is still ok. Because at least it can hit over 5GHz. The high clockspeed makes up for it. Its still the fastest gaming CPU.

Although power conusmption is crazy, but high end gaming rigs are mainly water cooled so not an issue. But this stupid DMI link limits performance.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This “new” series is not going to be enticing for both existing 8th and 9th Gen Intel processor users, and also for people out there for a new processor. While the processor prices have declined to match AMD, to get a high end models means you need to spend substantial amount of money to get a good Z series motherboard, high end cooling and potentially a higher wattage PSU. At the lower end, I think a new motherboard is required as well. Again even without the option to OC, people will still need to get an after market cooler to get the most of the performance. The stock cooler is very CMI for the heat generated from the high boost clock.

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
9th and 10th gen less than 5% difference, and real life usage had got no difference.

Fatfool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This platform reminds me of the Prescott Pentium 4 era where they pushed the netburst architecture to its limit no matter temps or TDP.

Of course, the next thing they came up was Conroe and that went in the right direction. We'll see.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I using 3600 i didnt see much performance diff in 7nm

The reason why a highly overclocked 3600 is not piping hot and power hungry is due to the difference in fab. Performance wise, it’s down to the CPU architecture and software optimisation, less to do with the fab. Perhaps the other benefits of 7nm is the higher clock speed it can achieve over older 12nm Ryzen 2xxx.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This platform reminds me of the Prescott Pentium 4 era where they pushed the netburst architecture to its limit no matter temps or TDP.

Of course, the next thing they came up was Conroe and that went in the right direction. We'll see.

Intel is employing exactly the same tactic here. However I am not sure Intel can turn around quickly this time, like they did previously. Conroe was a power efficient architecture, couple with Intel’s lead in fab then, gave them a significant advantage over competition. Now Intel have lost the fab advantage, so they can only rely on significant architecture improvements to turn them around in terms of performance and power efficiency.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i3 and i5 now have HT. Many sites say expect 20% improvement.

HT should provide improvements depending on the application. 20% sounds possible when you look at 6c/6t vs 6c/12t, and 8c/8t vs 8c/16t.

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the 10th Gen is gonna be shortlived with the Z490. Maximum will support 2 generations as outlined below so Z490 will probably only support Rocket Lake after this and that's it. Alderlake is going to have an all new platform with DDR5 and PCIE 4.0 natively.

https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-alder-lake-12th-gen-cpus-could-usher-in-a-new-socket-in-2021-leaving-z490-motherboards-out-in-the-cold

I think LGA1700 would be a fun and future proof platform if it can last over 2 generations of CPU as speculated but remains to be seen. If they can get a superior CPU architecture, then LGA1700 with the new Intel chipset might change things for them!

https://www.techpowerup.com/266701/intels-next-lga1700-socket-to-last-over-two-generations

10th Gen to me is just an overclocked 9th Gen with Intel Turbo Boost 3.0 and TVB allowing 5.3Ghz. Do take note it is only momentarily not perpetual 5.3Ghz on all cores but 2 best cores in your CPU.

Untill there is a new architecture or new fabrication process, Intel is pretty much stagnant at this point and especially since Skylake. The only plus point on the 10th Gen is that it has reduced in price against what they charge but still no where near AMD for price. Not to forget that the Intel needs a cooler and the one included is not sufficient at all to barely cool the 14nm+++++++++ runs HOT.

I think Intel is adamant about moving to 10nm and below because they may not be able to have the clockspeed advantage they are currently at now. I think that could be the main reason why they stay on 14nm and just try to have better yields so as to have them more overclocked out of the box. It does not make sense because it just goes to show then even if Intel could only hit 4.2Ghz for example at 10nm but have a significant increase in IPC, most would think it is slower than the previous generation. IPC gains since Skylake is virtually marginal and negligible at best.

One thing fun to play on the Intel Platform is memory over-clocks. They really can run high frequency tightened and yield a significant increase in 0.1% lows in gaming. But with B-die now out of production, the Z490 may seem far less enticing at this point.

Last edited:

Outramkia

Master Member
Reaction score
Intel should produce something like the 440bx that lasted for years and rock stable.

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i3 and i5 now have HT. Many sites say expect 20% improvement.

I have read and seen lots of reviews, data shows no noticeable performance, and to be competitive to the general public, intel had made a hug price cut across the board.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.