UWA vs UQ vs UoM

FendiFlounder

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’ll be taking a commerce degree in the above stated universities after completing NS. However, I’m in a dilemma as to which of the schools to choose.

UWA
Pros: -2.5 years with honours
-Quite a big amount of savings on school fees compared to the other 2 (Scholarship)

Cons: -Not really known for their business courses
-Might not be as reputable as compared to the other 2 universities

UQ
Pros: 2.5 years with honours

(its really just an in between of UoM and UWA)

UoM
Pros: -Best business school
-3 years with honours
-More reputable in a sense

Cons: -More expensive compared to the other 2 schools
-Might not take honours here due to the higher costs

Conclusion: Is a degree from a slightly more reputable school really worth paying so much extra for?

Does a UWA degree with honours outweigh a degree from UoM without honours?

FendiFlounder

Reaction score
To add on: UWA- University of Western Australia
UQ- University of Queensland
UoM- University of Melbourne

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UofMelb
And what do u mean by scholarship?
Not your family $$ and bond?

Planning to stay in oz?

Last edited:

jen1512

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’ll be taking a commerce degree in the above stated universities after completing NS. However, I’m in a dilemma as to which of the schools to choose.

UWA
-Quite a big amount of savings on school fees compared to the other 2 (Scholarship)

UQ

UoM
-3 years with honours

Conclusion: Is a degree from a slightly more reputable school really worth paying so much extra for?

What's the price difference?
When I was choosing university, I chose the shortest course cause faster graduate faster come out to work and earn more money - that was my mentality then. That's additional cost you need to factor in.

Whichever you choose, good luck! Exciting times ahead.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When I was choosing university, I chose the shortest course cause faster graduate faster come out to work and earn more money - that was my mentality then. That's additional cost you need to factor in.

Half a year diff coming out to work.
Oz honors vs no honors don’t matter in private sector
$$ diff not hard to find out online but since TS got to ask don’t think it’s a big deal

FendiFlounder

Reaction score
UofMelb
And what do u mean by scholarship?
Not your family $$ and bond?

Planning to stay in oz?

Scholarship offered by the school itself! Which means cheaper school fees haha. School fees will be paid by my family. The plan is to work in oz for a few years before eventually coming back, thus the question on whether a degree with honours outweighs one without, here in Singapore.

FendiFlounder

Reaction score
Half a year diff coming out to work.
Oz honors vs no honors don’t matter in private sector
$$ diff not hard to find out online but since TS got to ask don’t think it’s a big deal

I’m planning to work in oz for awhile before coming back to Singapore. With that being said, will a degree from UWA with honours outweigh a UoM one without honours, to employers,here in SG?

FendiFlounder

Reaction score

Hey thanks for the reply! Which university were you from?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m planning to work in oz for awhile before coming back to Singapore. With that being said, will a degree from UWA with honours outweigh a UoM one without honours, to employers,here in SG?

When u have few years of experience the ans is NO
even no experience is NO for private sector
YES if u going public

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Scholarship offered by the school itself! Which means cheaper school fees haha. School fees will be paid by my family. The plan is to work in oz for a few years before eventually coming back, thus the question on whether a degree with honours outweighs one without, here in Singapore.

Congrats if u getting full ride.
Big qns is 3 yrs from now how easy to get job in Oz.
If u cannot get job in Oz returning which degree open u for better job opportunities.

Then again depends on job.. if u looking for anything then UWA or UMelb don’t matter. If u going for big $$ jobs u may want to find out if those career has a lot of that uni Alumni.

firsttimebuyer

Master Member
Reaction score
University of Melbourne has a better brand name, in my opionion.

UQ has better name recognition but that's because a lot of Singaporeans go there for almost every other course.

FendiFlounder

Reaction score
Congrats if u getting full ride.
Big qns is 3 yrs from now how easy to get job in Oz.
If u cannot get job in Oz returning which degree open u for better job opportunities.

Then again depends on job.. if u looking for anything then UWA or UMelb don’t matter. If u going for big $$ jobs u may want to find out if those career has a lot of that uni Alumni.

Alright, thanks for the advice! Will go check it out :)

FendiFlounder

Reaction score

UQ has better name recognition but that's because a lot of Singaporeans go there for almost every other course.

I’ll not be taking honours if i choose to go Melbourne though, so I was thinking whether other schools as stated in the header would be a better choice due to honours, cost etc.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Better name recognition than uofmelb is what u meant because more ppl head there?

eleutheromania

Reaction score
Anyone with money can get into these Aussie unis. I have met so many Chinese and Vietnamese students who can't speak basic English graduating from these unis. Asian students are cash cows for these universities.

You are better off spending your parents' money elsewhere.

firsttimebuyer

Master Member
Reaction score

UWA

UQ

UoM
-3 years with honours

Have you considered University of Sydney?

FendiFlounder

Reaction score
Anyone with money can get into these Aussie unis. I have met so many Chinese and Vietnamese students who can't speak basic English graduating from these unis. Asian students are cash cows for these universities.

You are better off spending your parents' money elsewhere.

hmm where else would you suggest?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.