35 years old still never call back for reservaists and ippt

leongmengzai

Banned
Reaction score
Mindef also never inform him which he is posted too.

Does this means that this guy is discharged forever don't need to do reservaists and ippt liao?

Chao_Ah_Tiong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anything can happen. I have heard of things like someone get called up for 1st reservist at the age of 37, 38 or even 39.

The good point? Only need to serve a few ICTs. The bad point? No milestone CPF $$$ and no MR watch.

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score

Does this means that this guy is discharged forever don't need to do reservaists and ippt liao?

Nope. Only at 40 u are fully discahrged. 50 if officer.

I ORD in 2006, never called me till 2014. cos i take exit permit once to go overaseas. I exit permit again probably till age 40.

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
Anything can happen. I have heard of things like someone get called up for 1st reservist at the age of 37, 38 or even 39.

The good point? Only need to serve a few ICTs. The bad point? No milestone CPF $$$ and no MR watch.

CPF $$$ .. not cash... whats the point. can be used to pay HDB i guess. but what if u dont have HDB

virus1988

Banned
Reaction score

Yes this is true. Few years back there was this one guy who report for his first-ever ICT at the age of 39, and that ICT is also his last-ever ICT. Lol. But yeah it's quite a waste of time for these people who won't be getting the watch and the all-important $9k CPF cash.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CPF $$$ .. not cash... whats the point. can be used to pay HDB i guess. but what if u dont have HDB
can pay private property with CPF what.

Yes this is true. Few years back there was this one guy who report for his first-ever ICT at the age of 39, and that ICT is also his last-ever ICT. Lol. But yeah it's quite a waste of time for these people who won't be getting the watch and the all-important $9k CPF cash.

Well there are people earning 9k per day. what's 9k in cpf cash?

matey1982

Banned
Reaction score

could it be a case of he on long term overseas permit
come back nvr tell mindef

or he did tell mindef
but the CHRC side of the house didnt post him into a unit that he can contribute operationally

or even the remote possibility they lost his service docket
so no info
and he ended up being a lost sheep/soul which they only realise of his presence when doing house-keeping?

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
could it be a case of he on long term overseas permit
come back nvr tell mindef

or he did tell mindef
but the CHRC side of the house didnt post him into a unit that he can contribute operationally

or even the remote possibility they lost his service docket
so no info
and he ended up being a lost sheep/soul which they only realise of his presence when doing house-keeping?

There is no need to tell mindef. .when under exit permit , as long u return to SG and stayed 40 days in SG, it is auto cancelled .And after that, as per normal, u just wait for them to call u thru saf 100. Either they call to report ICT u or they dont . So if u working overseas and under exit permit, u can only come back visit for max 40 days.

But as long u are overseas, yr exit permit is valid throughout the duration given to u ( eg. 3-4 years..)if in some case u need to extent the exit permit, u can do so easily online thru NS portal.Advisable to extend it before it expires.

Last edited:

Chao_Ah_Tiong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I think the best is to 顺其自然, don't need to do anything... If they call up then LL lor. Unless you really want to serve then you may initiate contact to them.

For me shortly after I ORD I received my posting letter to NSPC, no ICT no IPPT/IPT/RT no ops manning etc. I did nothing all way long and all the way I am based in Singapore and then suddenly 8 years+ later I got my posting to a NS batterlon and not long later SAF100 for my 1st ICT.

Last edited:

matey1982

Banned
Reaction score
Actually I think the best is to 顺其自然, don't need to do anything... If they call up then LL lor. Unless you really want to serve then you may initiate contact to them.

For me shortly after I ORD I received my posting letter to NSPC, no ICT no IPPT/IPT/RT no ops manning etc. I did nothing all way long and all the way I am based in Singapore and then suddenly 8 years+ later I got my posting to a NS batterlon and not long later SAF100 for my 1st ICT.

i think the "lost sheep" exists out there be it in SAF, SPF or SCDF NSmen

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score

yes correct. If they didnt call u , u dont need to do anything cos no SAF 100 served . THe onus is on them to call u. If they didnt, then u dont need to do anything and u are also not liable for anything.

i was in this "lost sheep" too. I think a lot also depends on yr vocation. vocation like medics, clerks and drivers dont need so many. if there is so many people available people out there.. of cos not everyone gets called.

Chao_Ah_Tiong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not so sure about SPF, SCDF, RSAF and RSN but for army got quite a lot I'll say...

yes correct. If they didnt call u , u dont need to do anything cos no SAF 100 served . THe onus is on them to call u. If they didnt, then u dont need to do anything and u are also not liable for anything.

i was in this "lost sheep" too. I think a lot also depends on yr vocation. vocation like medics, clerks and drivers dont need so many. if there is so many people available people out there.. of cos not everyone gets called.

The unit you were in during your NSF days could be one of the factors also. If those who was in those active SIR, SAR, SCE etc units during their NSF days most likely will call back for reservist as they were supposed to stick with the same group of people until MR.

But for those who served in the training schools like those 3SGs in BMTC, active personnels in reservist brigades etc might have higher chance of kenna holding list after ORD. I was a technician in a reservist brigade during my NSF days and that might explain why I kenna holding list after ORD back then.

Actually IMO it might not be a bad idea if come back for ICT for just 1 or 2 times... especially if it is a low key ICT without much to do.. :s13: Can treat it as a 'holiday camp' with free food and reminisce the 'good old' NSF days... :s13: And don't need to worry about what ATEC all those things...

Last edited:

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
The unit you were in during your NSF days could be one of the factors also. If those who was in those active SIR, SAR, SCE etc units during their NSF days most likely will call back for reservist as they were supposed to stick with the same group of people until MR.

But for those who served in the training schools like those 3SGs in BMTC, active personnels in reservist brigades etc might have higher chance of kenna holding list after ORD. I was a technician in a reservist brigade during my NSF days and that might explain why I kenna holding list after ORD back then.

i believe thats the case.

Reaction score
Personally, I would rather be called back when still young and get it over fast, especially for officers. I got called up for my first reservist in camp training when I was in my mid 30s. It was extremely embarrassing for me due to the following...

a) I reported for ICT in my old Temasek Green uniform. I stood out as all the Army by then had already moved on to the camo No. 4 uniform. I was never issued these (will let you know why later). The Encik (RSM) screamed and harassed at me at the front gate when I booked in. He got his come uppance later though.

b) I have not touched an M16 for donkey years. It was embarrassing at my first attempt to strip it in a test.

c) Tactics and doctrines had changed. I had to re-learn. For example, when I was actively serving we had 9 men per infantry section. It all changed by the time I went for my first call up.

d) I was the odd one out. The rest of the battalion had trained together since their NSF days and even the first few years of their reservist. They had a camaraderie which I could not break into until a few years. After-all I was also more than 10 years older than most. In fact for that first ICT I was probably the most hated guy in the battalion.

e) My reservist vocation was completely different from my primary vocation when I was active. As you get older, it is more like the luck of the draw, you get allocated your unit or vocation randomly. I must admit though, that objectively I was trained for my reservist vocation during all the courses I attended before but it was not my primary vocation in my active years.

f) Yes, while most are about 10 years younger and hence fitter, it is still embarrassing and demoralizing when you had to lead them.

Now, in case you are wondering,... I was the battalion commander of the unit I was posted to for my first reservist training. While I was trained as an army officer, I was actually posted to the AirForce (hence never received camo no. 4) and served there. I was one of the youngest to attend Command School and Staff College primarily because I was a sword winner and a scholarship holder (and regular for 4 years). The initial years of bonding with the men especially when I was younger would have help. Also by then I was also well into my career in the corporate world and while most of my classmates and colleagues would have finished their reservist cycle by mid 30s to early 40s, I did not complete mine until my 50s. While it is nice to play soldier and bond with your reservist mates when you are still young, it gets difficult in your 40s when you have other priorities in life (ie career challenges, kids in their teens etc).Not forgetting, age catches up with you too. I was on the holding list for awhile because I did my post grad overseas plus I worked outside Singapore. It would have been great if I was perpetually on the holding list but I guess the country needed their pound of flesh since I was a former regular and had attend staff college (i.e. for Majors).

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I would rather be called back when still young and get it over fast, especially for officers. I got called up for my first reservist in camp training when I was in my mid 30s. It was extremely embarrassing for me due to the following...

a) I reported for ICT in my old Temasek Green uniform. I stood out as all the Army by then had already moved on to the camo No. 4 uniform. I was never issued these (will let you know why later). The Encik (RSM) screamed and harassed at me at the front gate when I booked in. He got his come uppance later though.

b) I have not touched an M16 for donkey years. It was embarrassing at my first attempt to strip it in a test.

c) Tactics and doctrines had changed. I had to re-learn. For example, when I was actively serving we had 9 men per infantry section. It all changed by the time I went for my first call up.

d) I was the odd one out. The rest of the battalion had trained together since their NSF days and even the first few years of their reservist. They had a camaraderie which I could not break into until a few years. After-all I was also more than 10 years older than most. In fact for that first ICT I was probably the most hated guy in the battalion.

e) My reservist vocation was completely different from my primary vocation when I was active. As you get older, it is more like the luck of the draw, you get allocated your unit or vocation randomly. I must admit though, that objectively I was trained for my reservist vocation during all the courses I attended before but it was not my primary vocation in my active years.

f) Yes, while most are about 10 years younger and hence fitter, it is still embarrassing and demoralizing when you had to lead them.

Now, in case you are wondering,... I was the battalion commander of the unit I was posted to for my first reservist training. While I was trained as an army officer, I was actually posted to the AirForce (hence never received camo no. 4) and served there. I was one of the youngest to attend Command School and Staff College primarily because I was a sword winner and a scholarship holder (and regular for 4 years). The initial years of bonding with the men especially when I was younger would have help. Also by then I was also well into my career in the corporate world and while most of my classmates and colleagues would have finished their reservist cycle by mid 30s to early 40s, I did not complete mine until my 50s. While it is nice to play soldier and bond with your reservist mates when you are still young, it gets difficult in your 40s when you have other priorities in life (ie career challenges, kids in their teens etc).Not forgetting, age catches up with you too. I was on the holding list for awhile because I did my post grad overseas plus I worked outside Singapore. It would have been great if I was perpetually on the holding list but I guess the country needed their pound of flesh since I was a former regular and had attend staff college (i.e. for Majors).
I think u are officer, thats why, for low rank men until age 40 only... in this case , delaying it is better cos like u said they likely give random unit for those who deferred or on holding list.

coutuser

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

battalion commander is what rank?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.