How SGX compete? especially with HKEX

satomoto

Reaction score
Objectively, how will SGX compete with the larger liquidity and better PE of HKEX? Will things get worse before it gets better?

I primarily see two issues. Delisting and PE.

For delisting, it is increasing.

For PE, I am probably oversimplifying, but apple to apple companies are fetching different prices.
1) AIA/HK PE ratio 16; Great Eastern/SG PE ratio 9+
2) HSBC/HK PE ratio is 28; DBS/SG PE ratio is 8.35
3) SAS/SG PE ratio is 9+; Cathay/HK PE ratio is 20+

Why are investor buying HKEX shares despite that they can also readily and easily buy Singapore shares, say instead of Cathay they can buy Singapore Airlines.

How will SGX and Singapore government increase inflow of investors as well as listing. How do you guys see the prospect.

Last edited:

OddEye

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If not because of ease of buying SGX shares, I rather not buying from Singapore market. Most good local companies are not even listing in SGX, a lot of rubbish scammy looking companies in SGX instead.

I am considering buying from other markets already

light84

Reaction score
Many companies in SGX are rubbish.

HKEX got Pooh as ah gong, sure got quality listings. SGX got no one.

Only banks and REITS are good quality and comparable worldwide.

Only thing is buy SGX no forex risk on your end.

satomoto

Reaction score
If not because of ease of buying SGX shares, I rather not buying from Singapore market. Most good local companies are not even listing in SGX, a lot of rubbish scammy looking companies in SGX instead.

That would mean the continue shrinkage of SGX.

satomoto

Reaction score
Many companies in SGX are rubbish.

HKEX got Pooh as ah gong, sure got quality listings. SGX got no one.

Only banks and REITS are good quality and comparable worldwide.

Only thing is buy SGX no forex risk on your end.

If you consider REITs market ratio of >10% in SGX and growing, it means that non-REITs equities are shrinking even more starkly in SGX.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As long as there is a demand, there will be supply. Why worry about something that you can’t control and doesn’t really affect you? Unless you own SGX’s (the listed company) stock?

d5dude

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most stocks on HKex are trash so its not much better, a lot of the gains on the HSI have come from Tencent holdings in recent years, the other stocks like the banks and more recently the property developers (due to the perpetual rioting) have all done very poorly.

simon_84

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if you're just looking for trading opportunities or growth stocks, other markets might be a better bet.
else sgx is probably more for income generating stocks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.