ISP's provided router has lousy wireless dl speeds?

aeronium

Reaction score
So I have the free ASUS RT-AC2600 that came with my M1 subscription.

Over Ethernet, I get speeds of over 800-900mbps up an down. Over wireless, with my laptop right beside the router I only get 300-400mbps down and 600-700mbps up. Link speed is 866mbps.

Is this because it's a lousy free router? Will my wireless speeds improve if I get a better wireless router?

What's weird is that the upload speed over wireless is always faster than the download speed. I have the same issue when I perform speed tests on my Note10 too. So I have a feeling it's an issue with the router.

Anyone have any ideas why?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wifi speed and LAN are different and not possible for WIFI to catch up with LAN.
Since LAN is 1GBPS so WIFI is hard to beat since it depend on the device like laptop/smartphone WIFI adapter.

Suggest you take a look at this article about data rate.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...5725/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Even if you upgrade router but device connection the WIFI are sub par
you won't get very high data rate.
Unless the device uses 2X2 MIMO WIFI card than data rate would be
much higher.

For what I know some gaming laptop and high end laptop uses 2X2 MIMO WIFI card. Budget and normal laptop uses 1X1 WIFI card.
(1 X means the number of antenna, if 2 X 2 means two antenna means two streams of data which is much faster than 1 X)

If you want fast internet in your room, suggest get a contractor
to lay a lan cable.
Than connect either your laptop or an additional router to cover
bedroom area and etc.

Apex

Reaction score

Over Ethernet, I get speeds of over 800-900mbps up an down. Over wireless, with my laptop right beside the router I only get 300-400mbps down and 600-700mbps up. Link speed is 866mbps.

Is this because it's a lousy free router? Will my wireless speeds improve if I get a better wireless router?

What's weird is that the upload speed over wireless is always faster than the download speed. I have the same issue when I perform speed tests on my Note10 too. So I have a feeling it's an issue with the router.

- Your laptop what the inbuild Wifi card?
- You connected to 5ghz network i assume.

Albertphoon

Reaction score

I went down to IMM M1 yesterday to do a recontract on Home 1GB and was told to return the old ASUS1200G+ in order to get the new ASUS AC2600 .
Thus need to travel again to do it.
But for new customer , the new router will be given free. (why)
Lucky ,I did not throw away the lousy 1200G.

Anyway wifi speed of 400Mpbs is already v good. anything above it is just a number, speed you dun really see the different during normal web surf

aeronium

Reaction score
Even if you upgrade router but device connection the WIFI are sub par
you won't get very high data rate.
Unless the device uses 2X2 MIMO WIFI card than data rate would be
much higher.

Mine is using a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) card. So I was thinking if I should get a wifi 6 router since my laptop and phone supports it.

aeronium

Reaction score
- Your laptop what the inbuild Wifi card?
- You connected to 5ghz network i assume.

yup 5ghz.

Anyway wifi speed of 400Mpbs is already v good. anything above it is just a number, speed you dun really see the different during normal web surf

I frequently connect to a NAS outside my network to download/upload large files for work, so the speeds can make a bit of a difference for me.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine is using a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) card. So I was thinking if I should get a wifi 6 router since my laptop and phone supports it.

Yes.

Your free router performance is pretty decent but since you have the needs like NAS file copying, WiFi 6 will really help.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.