Projector Screen Discussion Thread

petetherock

Reaction score
I think there are enough people who are beginning to own screens, so it's useful to have a chat on the options.

Projectors (PJ) have been divided into a few camps
- traditional ones which require a longer throw, so you usually site it at the back
- ultra short throw ones which sit on a console at the front

The light source can be a bulb, LED or lasers

The video chip can be LCD, DLP, each with it's own pros and cons.

As for the screens, you won't want to be using the old style traditional ones with a UST PJ.

You will need a ALR Light rejection type such as this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Not cheap and you should know it before committing to a UST PJ.

Screens can be mobile, retractable, or fixed. Avoid those foldable unless you like a crease in the middle of your viewing area.

hmsweethm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I read that it’s better to get the projector first and then test it out on the screen.
Some screens are better than rest.
They are people who buy the PJ and screen together and later found the screen is not good enough.

hmsweethm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SG market really so small cannot find much ALR Brands.....
Only got the XY screen.

Also there are different light rejecting specs.
Some ALR reject more light, some lesser.

KoChi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys any idea if the Xy screen 100” be installed on partition wall or dry wall? Thanks

petetherock

Reaction score
It's a weight not size issue. So check the weight bearing capacity of your wall, and then the specs on the weight of the screen.

hmsweethm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys any idea if the Xy screen 100” be installed on partition wall or dry wall? Thanks

U can go XY screen website to check out the item weight.
http://www.xy-screen.com/xy_en/products/zhk100b.asp#techspecs

example of my 100” Weight
净重is the screen only.
毛重 is the box containing all the stuff.
3X3668z.jpg

Screws to mount the screen hanger is estimated 5cm Long. Total used 4 screws, 2 screws on each side of the hanger.
iNH0PLq.jpg
So u need to know the thickness of your dry wall & if there’s any concrete wall behind it.
I’ve seen on AV forums that AMDKs mount their screen on the drywall.
100” screen at 11kg is not that heavy.

Last edited:

KoChi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
Any contractor specialized in doing mounting? I got no idea how thick is the dry wall

100” seem kind of big

hmsweethm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
Any contractor specialized in doing mounting? I got no idea how thick is the dry wall

100” seem kind of big

Normally Drywall standard thickness is 1/2 inch. That’s plaster wall.
Yours is partition? Maybe it’s plywood.
I think you can ask if the screen seller if they will provide assembly & installation of the screen.
Normally they will charge for the service & I think they have lots of experience on mounting on different surfaces.

100” is just nice.
My viewing distance is about 3m.

Screen size guide
https://www.akiascreens.com/how_to_select_your_projection_screen.html

Last edited:

jungle_sg

Reaction score
I am looking for ALR screen, around 100 inch size. As my living room is quite bright I am thinking of using ALR so I can watch it during the day time. Is there a supplier for the XY screen and is it considered ALR screen? Cannot find much information on the link.

hmsweethm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am looking for ALR screen, around 100 inch size. As my living room is quite bright I am thinking of using ALR so I can watch it during the day time. Is there a supplier for the XY screen and is it considered ALR screen? Cannot find much information on the link.
Hi,

Element5
https://www.facebook.com/Element5LaserTV/

Bigshine
https://bigshine.com.sg/p/bigshine-alr-fixed-frame-screen/

I got mine 100” XY pet crystal with 0.8gain factor from Element5, Self collection $800.
Got quotation from bigshine 100” is $820.
You may check which one provides installation service.
Reason i got XY is I communicate directly with XY screen sales in China and get the model i need. Then check with Element5 for the product.
Bigshine Doesn’t list the gain factor on their website and didn’t get back to me after a very Long time Until recently, but i already went ahead with XY.

For ALR screen, the gain is important. To Low, it will be too dark.
Too high i think it will cause light reflected from the screen onto the ceiling(that’s what i read).
I read from various USA websites and they recommended gain of 0.8 to <1.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.