I have to say the New 10th gen CPU and Z490 is Crappy......

Humster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Desktop Ryzen
4xxx is based on Zen 3 and without any GPU, coming in September
4xxxG is based on Zen 2 with GPU, coming in September

Mobile Ryzen
4xxxU is based on Zen 2 with 15-25W TDP now selling or selling soon
4xxxH and 4xxxHS is based on Zen 2 with 35/45W TDP is now selling or selling soon

Same like 3000 series ma. Apu version is gpu+zen+. Non apu version is zen2.

Its always been the case since Ryzen 2xxx series. The Ryzen 2xxxG APUs are based on Ryzen 1xxx CPUs with a Vega GPU. So Ryzen 4xxxG is using the current 3xxx CPU with a Vega chip @ 7nm.

Ok, Thx. Totally lost with CPU tech liao.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The recommendations are quite mixed between different review sites. For example, Kitguru pretty much kind of slammed the i5 10600.

Personally, I think Intel's Comet Lake is pretty much pointless. Consider existing Intel 8 and 9th gen users, there is very little incentive to upgrade to the 10th gen with the same number of core counts. Just overclock them, and you pretty much get the Comet Lake sort of performance. Also you have very strong competition from AMD across all the segment, which is also more affordable than what Intel offers. At the top end with the i9, it is the fastest gaming CPU for sure. But with AMD's Ryzen 9 3900X in the way and being a superior all rounder CPU, not sure how many enthusiasts will actually pick it up. So that is my opinion.

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The recommendations are quite mixed between different review sites. For example, Kitguru pretty much kind of slammed the i5 10600.

Personally, I think Intel's Comet Lake is pretty much pointless. Consider existing Intel 8 and 9th gen users, there is very little incentive to upgrade to the 10th gen with the same number of core counts. Just overclock them, and you pretty much get the Comet Lake sort of performance. Also you have very strong competition from AMD across all the segment, which is also more affordable than what Intel offers. At the top end with the i9, it is the fastest gaming CPU for sure. But with AMD's Ryzen 9 3900X in the way and being a superior all rounder CPU, not sure how many enthusiasts will actually pick it up. So that is my opinion.

Personally as an Intel user, I think Comet Lake is a botched effort by Intel to just buy them time if they ever will come out with a smaller node process. IPC is virtually zero. I run 5.3Ghz on my 9900KS and get virtually the same 540 score for single threaded score on Cinebench R20. ZERO gains.

PCIE 4.0 is also missing. Z490 seems to be just a rebranded Z390 with "included" PCIE 4.0 support but CPU's can't support them.

At the end of the day, Intel is only the fastest gaming CPU at 1080p. Anything 1440p onwards, almost all the CPUs perform pretty much neck to neck. I find it hard that people buy such a flagship CPU only to game at 1080p. Pretty dumb unless you are a super competitive player and require to run as high FPS as you possibly can at 1080p with something like 240Hz refresh rate. The rare exception for some.

To me, the only advantage Intel has over AMD is memory platform latency and that makes a pretty good difference in your 0.1% lows in games. Even sheer memory frequencies are attainable on the Intel platform. But with B-die ceasing production, it kind of defeats this advantage now.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So basically 10th gen is basically Kaby Lake on super steroids?

limpingsim98

Reaction score

Each has its own strange. But AMD design is usually like more cache, more cores or more clock frequently. So if friendly in benchmark and may not necessary perform the same when come to application test.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Each has its own strange. But AMD design is usually like more cache, more cores or more clock frequently. So if friendly in benchmark and may not necessary perform the same when come to application test.

I think its been proven that for applications that favor higher core counts, AMD will emerge as the better candidate, while Intel is still faster when it comes to applications that favor faster single core. With more apps supporting multicore since Intel is also compelled to join the higher core count race, this actually favors AMD in the longer run. These supposed benchmarks that you see in some reviews, are also actual applications. I won't even be bothered with those PCMark, Geekbench kind of benchmarks. Those are meaningless metrics to me.

m0n0n0ke

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OMG. The more test out the more I stay away from this 10th generation

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally Intel decided to "upgrade" their box coolers after so many years

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...-comet-lake-processors-new-blacked-out-design

6XFXSorxQE7g7m2fWjnmGZ-650-80.jpeg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.