Huawei AX3 Pro - Anyone bought and tried?

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well also to add, my WiFi also usually has at least 10 devices active at any time (phones, pc, printer, tablets, tv) so there could also very well be QoS/ traffic shaping from the router itself to balance out the throughput and bandwidth. Its an auto feature you can't turn off but it does the job pretty well but i don't cap speeds on most devices except gadgets and tv.

My speedtests even with past always had a downlink bias where the uplink is half to 2/3 of downlink on average.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well also to add, my WiFi also usually has at least 10 devices active at any time (phones, pc, printer, tablets, tv) so there could also very well be QoS/ traffic shaping from the router itself to balance out the throughput and bandwidth. Its an auto feature you can't turn off but it does the job pretty well but i don't cap speeds on most devices except gadgets and tv.

My speedtests even with past always had a downlink bias where the uplink is half to 2/3 of downlink on average.

Interesting. Could this be related to the fact that Fibre broadband in China always has a much slower uplink speed than the downlink? So the Huawei FW is kind of more optimized for downlink, which is perfectly fine.

500Mbps and 1Gbps Fibre become common in mainland China now, even though 50Mbps, 100Mbps and 200Mbps plan are still there. However even with the 1Gbps plan, the uplink is always less than 100Mbps.

Edit to add: SingTel speedtest server often got the downlink busy so often my results have higher uplink speed than the downlink.

Using iperf3 kind of gets rid of the effect of different test servers. But then it is better to use two computers to test. iperf client on Phones seems to be not as good.

Last edited:

Xamer1997

Reaction score
For Singtel ONR users, you need to set up the AX3 Pro as an AP.

For the initial setup, on Android phone download Huawei HiLink App from Google Play Store. It is also available for iPhone. UI will be English. The problem is that once set as an AP, it will not be able to access the router any more.

Better use a computer connect to the router for the initial setup, the default ip address is 192.168.3.1. Even after it is configured as an AP, it is still accessible using lan. UI will be Chinese though.
if ax3 pro ip remain as 192.168.3.1 so no need to setup static ip when use as AP?

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you able to give me the steps for setting AX3 Pro as AP? TIA

1. login the web interface 192.168.3.1 (default)

2. Login with the password and click the globe
uF9FV5w.jpg

3. Select AP mode
5m7NT89.jpg

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So there will be no other setting needed. Will try. Thx you

For bridge mode no. But u can try run firmware update.

Step 1.
3ntPM47.jpg

Step 2. Keep running update (the update in incremental) until you reach 10.0.5.26

V1 > V2 > V3 > V4.
JyHoXVE.jpg

Now the last version is 10.0.5.26 2020-05-22 16:57:37

mabel555

Reaction score
For info, I have the low end TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh to complement the main router (an aging Linksys WRT1900AC). There is no Ethernet cabling in my HDB flat. I have the problem of low signal in the master room (especially near to the power ports or the toilet). It is not possible to put the Mesh unit inside. I have to use a pair of D-Link Gigabit Power Line Adapter as the backhaul for the Deco M4, the speed is only about 100Mbps due to the use of extension plugs.

Recently I started to use the spare Huawei WS5200 Quad Core version as an AP in the living room and now I can get above 100 Mbps in the master room including the toilet. So I do not use the Deco M4 now. Its upload speed is slower than download but not a problem. It seems Huawei Routers have good coverage. Close range speed of the WS5200 Quad Core is also pretty decent, similar to my Linksys WRT1900AC. I can get 300Mbps to 400Mbps from an iPhone X on the 5GHz band. 2.4GHz band performance is much better than the Linksys.

Now I am thinking of getting the AX3 Pro as well but I am not in a hurry as I do not have any WiFi 6 device.
Has anyone compared the speeds of Huawei A2, Huawei AX3 and Huawei WS5200 as AP? I saw xiaofan’s speed test on WS5200 as AP (100 to 400Mbps subject to range).

When considering setting up a WiFi mesh system, apart from speed, how important is it for a model to have any of these specs – WiFi 6, quad-core, tri-band? If I have to compromise, which specs are non-negotiable?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the speeds of Huawei A2, Huawei AX3 and Huawei WS5200 as AP? I saw xiaofan’s speed test on WS5200 as AP (100 to 400Mbps subject to range).

When considering setting up a WiFi mesh system, apart from speed, how important is it for a model to have any of these specs – WiFi 6, quad-core, tri-band? If I have to compromise, which specs are non-negotiable?

Do not take my speed test data as the real performance of the router as I do not have a very good client and the router location may not be the best.

All my clients are 2*2 AC except one "fake" 3*3 USB AC1900 Adapter (TP-Link T9UH) which performs like a 2*2 AC client. The best phone client is iPhone X, it performs similar to the T9UH at close range. T9UH performs better in far range. My Huawei P20 and Nova 5T perform much worse than the iPhone X or 7+.

I will say the posted performance of AX3 Pro here is outstanding, with WiFi 6 clients like iPhone SE or Intel AX200.

Single router performance:
A3 Pro > A2 WS5800 > Q2 Pro > WS5200

If you want Mesh with wireless backhaul, I think tri-band is good to have. Only Huawei A2 WS5800 is tri-band. You can have one of the 5GHz band as the dedicated wireless backhaul.

Huawei Q2 Pro 3 pack (3 base) is another interesting option, because it combines power line and wireless backhaul. Huawei claims 1867Mbps link speed between two bases, (1000M PLC + 867Mbps 5GHz WiFi). However it is a dual band so the 5GHz band is not dedicated. Then the 1000M PLC is usually only 200Mbps in reality. So the benefit is more on the coverage and less on the speed.

Ref: https://consumer.huawei.com/en/routers/q2-pro-3pack/

I tend to think AX3 Pro (main) + AX3 Mesh will have the best price performance, the speed on the AX3 Mesh unit side may be lower due to no dedicated wireless band as the backhaul.

If you favor coverage over speed, Q2 Pro + 1 Satellite will be a good option. Satellite is limited to 200Mbs due to PLC backhaul.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hmm, from what I read, Huawei Q2 Pro main base cannot be configured in AP mode. Since you have the AX3 Pro as the main router already, it can not be a candidate already, unless you want to change the Q2 Pro as the main router and AX3 Pro as an AP.

Therefore AX3 Pro (main) + AX3 Mesh may still be the best option.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, from what I read, Huawei Q2 Pro main base cannot be configured in AP mode. Since you have the AX3 Pro as the main router already, it can not be a candidate already, unless you want to change the Q2 Pro as the main router and AX3 Pro as an AP.

Therefore AX3 Pro (main) + AX3 Mesh may still be the best option.

Chinese YouTube review of AX3 Pro + AX3 Mesh, and comparison with Xiaomi AX3600.

https://youtu.be/PQMNzXnYGsg

Ethernet backhaul is excellent. Wireless backhaul will make the 5GHz performance reduced by about half. Still the Mesh combination beats Xiaomi AX3600 in terms of coverage.

Xiaomi AX3600 wins if you have 3*3 AC client. It also has higher possibility of future 3rd party FW due to the use of Qualcomm CPU.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chinese YouTube review of AX3 Pro + AX3 Mesh, and comparison with Xiaomi AX3600.

Ethernet backhaul is excellent. Wireless backhaul will make the 5GHz performance reduced by about half. Still the Mesh combination beats Xiaomi AX3600 in terms of coverage.

He also has nice review of the temperature stability and seamless mesh performance.

https://youtu.be/bM_mW8rjDmo

At worst case the temperature can be quite high but the stability is still not bad. He has the gigabit Ethernet file transfer and 5GHz wireless transfer at the same time and the temperature goes up to 67 degree C. But usually you will not do that often do it should not be a concern.

He has some delay and packet with Mesh but it does not affect normal operation, including mobile gaming.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The more popular Mesh with power line backhaul is TP-Link Deco P9. Review here from a Malaysia user.
https://www.blacktubi.com/review/tp-link-deco-p9/

He only got 150Mbps at the 2nd unit and 110Mbps at the 3rd unit.

BTW, just to point out PLC Communication real world performance is so-so. I have the D-Link DHP-701AV AV2000 adapters (4pcs).

As per the review from CNET, its real world performance is about 400Mbps (not using extension cord).

I have to use extension cord in my case. So the real world performance drops for my side. Bedroom at about 200Mbps and master room at about 100Mbps.

Last edited:

mabel555

Reaction score

Xiaomi AX3600 wins if you have 3*3 AC client. It also has higher possibility of future 3rd party FW due to the use of Qualcomm CPU.
Chinese YouTube review on AX3 Pro + AX3 mesh is quite impressive.

Although Ethernet backhaul is ideal, for now I have to work with wireless backhaul options. I think AX3 Pro + tri-band WiFi mesh is a better fit for me. AX3 dual-band as AP – 5GHz 50% speed drop is a concern for me. I’m inclined towards A2 (tri-band) as AP. Will have to see this as an investment.

Has anyone speed-tested A2 as AP?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chinese YouTube review on AX3 Pro + AX3 mesh is quite impressive.

Although Ethernet backhaul is ideal, for now I have to work with wireless backhaul options. I think AX3 Pro + tri-band WiFi mesh is a better fit for me. AX3 dual-band as AP – 5GHz 50% speed drop is a concern for me. I’m inclined towards A2 (tri-band) as AP. Will have to see this as an investment.

Has anyone speed-tested A2 as AP?

No use to use A2 in your case as the A3 Pro is the main unit and it has only dual band. So the 5GHz performance will be affected and your A2 performance will be dropped as well.

You need to have the A2 as the main router and then another A2 to form the Mesh to enjoy the dedicated 5GHz backhaul. Then your A3 Pro can be an AP for your Wifi 6 clients (connect to your main A2).

You may have to wait for Huawei to come out with TriBand WiFi 6 router to have the best wireless backhaul performance.

laughingPANDA

Master Member
Reaction score
To the bros here who has the AX3 Pro router, just wondering if you guys combine the 2.4 and 5 into a 5Ghz channel or you guys still separate it out to 2.4 and 5?

Is there any realistic or theoretical improvements when both channels or combined into 1?

sa3459a

Reaction score
So far, I'm happy with my AX3. After I installed, I no longer need repeater in another room. Speednet test on my Huawei Nova 2I also faster on 2.4G. If anyone want to buy, AX3 Pro is better choice. Regret not getting AX3 Pro now, as confirm working with M1 broadband.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So far, I'm happy with my AX3. After I installed, I no longer need repeater in another room. Speednet test on my Huawei Nova 2I also faster on 2.4G. If anyone want to buy, AX3 Pro is better choice. Regret not getting AX3 Pro now, as confirm working with M1 broadband.

Interestingly our Nova 3i also got a boost in the 2.4GHz band with Huawei WS5200 Quad Core. So I can relate to your improvement on Nova 2i.

Unfortunately it does not help much on my Huawei P20 and Nova 5T on 5G in terms of 5GHz band, but at least the coverage is better compared to my aging Linksys WRT1900AC.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To the bros here who has the AX3 Pro router, just wondering if you guys combine the 2.4 and 5 into a 5Ghz channel or you guys still separate it out to 2.4 and 5?

Is there any realistic or theoretical improvements when both channels or combined into 1?

To get better performance, it is better to separate to two SSID.

If combined, sometimes the router will based on signal strength and then allocate 2.4GHz band to your device which reduce the speed.

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I separate 2.4 and 5ghz.

1. webcam and old device might have problem connecting to a combine SSID.

2. High speed device can just configure to 5ghz and prevent the device from from connecting to 2.4 (slow speed without me knowing)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.