New Zealand or Switzerland. Which one is more scenic?

SpeedingBullet

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Price/scenery (if that's even a metric) NZ wins because Switzerland is just super expensive everywhere.

In terms of accessibility then it's Switz. It's smaller than NZ but it has highly reliable rail network that takes u across the country in just hours (Zurich to Zermatt in ~4 hrs? Check). NZ you have to rent a car to get anywhere.

If you have a compact time frame then Switz wins, because you can compress scenery in just a few days compared to NZ. You can go from lush forest in Interlaken to snowy views in Jungfrau in under 3 hours..

Last edited:

GeraldineT

Reaction score
Price/scenery (if that's even a metric) NZ wins because Switzerland is just super expensive everywhere.

In terms of accessibility then it's Switz. It's smaller than NZ but it has highly reliable rail network that takes u across the country in just hours (Zurich to Zermatt in ~4 hrs? Check). NZ you have to rent a car to get anywhere.

If you have a compact time frame then Switz wins, because you can compress scenery in just a few days compared to NZ. You can go from lush forest in Interlaken to snowy views in Jungfrau in under 3 hours..

in terms of price, what is more expensive?
Food/ accommodation or activities?
Cause I've only been to NZ and I did spent a lot so would like to know in what terms Switzerland is more expensive?

SpeedingBullet

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Food/ accommodation or activities?
Cause I've only been to NZ and I did spent a lot so would like to know in what terms Switzerland is more expensive?

Every single thing.

For activities, I haven't tried it all so I can't comment, you can just google around to see the general costs. But I'd wager that Switz is still more expensive.

Interestingly enough, flights to Switz are at the same price or can be cheaper than flying to Auckland.

Last edited:

WWH123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Scenery in CH especially the Alps wins hand down. NZ more spreadout and affordable. Plus NZ being right hand drive is easier.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Switzerland is expensive in literally everything 😂 McDonald’s meal is like 40-50sgd for 2 pax. My wife and I 9 days there spent 1.5k sgd on train fare, total costs around 12k sgd staying in non-atas hotels (best western kind of 3 star hotel) and eating in mid range restaurants.

Last edited:

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
I prefer the towns and cities in Swiz definately more European character and history. Scenery wise probably NZ especially if you like wild coastal areas and beaches which Swiz doesn't have. Added plus for NZ is the range of adventure sports if you enjoy that.

happy_bear

Reaction score
Price wise- NZ is cheaper in lodging (airbnb) , food (takeaways) and transport (self drive). Swiss Hotels are expensive in touristy towns, food are mainly cafe or restaurants, and transport by train ( pass which can be expensive). I think airfare is similar for both as no budget airline for both destination.

Activities - NZ has a wider offering of activities, esp adventurous ones, maybe cheaper too

Scenary - NZ provides a wider range from alps, mountains, lakes and coastal views. While Swiss are mainly alps and villages. Though, imo, Swiss alps and mountain views and scenary in less touristy villages win hands down as compared to NZ's.

Last edited:

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes.visited both countries and will love to go back there again when air travelling resume.

I love the view of the train ride when looking out and see those houses and village when I took the train up to jungfraujoch. Until now I still go to the youtude and rewatch those video again. But due to the extreme high cost in Switzerland. Travellers impression also affected.

If u only want to visit Europe only once in your lifetime. Then Switzerland is really a MUST visit place.

NZ is actually quite similar to Iceland. But I find Iceland is more beautiful.

gasband

Reaction score
Definitely NZ. Switzerland is just ridiculously expensive. Even if the train network is extensive, its just too expensive. Food is expensive. Everything is expensive. While NZ is very accessible by driving a car. Car Rental is cheap. Accommodations are decent and moderately priced in most places. People wise, Kiwis definitely nicer than the Swiss. Food can be cheap. NZ way way better than Switzerland...I am not likely to visit Switzerland again...don't like it.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have been to Switzerland in 2014, and supposedly New Zealand this month (postponed due to COVID).

Based on videos and images of New Zealand, I will not pick any. Both are equally beautiful.

Switzerland - beautiful for it's snow-capped mountains, river valleys.
New Zealand, lakes, mountains and landscape.

you should consider Scotland too, oh my it's beautiful, I went in 2018.

32_H2O

Reaction score
I have been to both. I pick NZ.

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can't wait to go New Zealand, trip last month was postponed. Then I'll compare both locations.

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Already went switzerland 2 years ago with my wife.

Went zurich, lauterbrunnen, jungfrau, schiltorn, wengen, murren, bern, lucern. (Check out photos in my signature)

Quite pricy though. Food (average $25-30 per pax) and transport wise (advise to buy rail pass)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.