Battery Issues - MacBook Pro 2020

MadwolfNemesis

Reaction score
Purchase a MBP 2020 from apple online store 2 weeks ago and recieved it last week.

Realised the battery life is only about 3hrs for normal surfing.

Went to apple technical support, did some diagnostic and they realised my set is completely fine.

But they agree that it shouldn't be only 3hrs of normal surfing usage.

During the tech support, the guy also noticed that the battery is draining too fast, draining about 2-3% for about 10 mins of troubleshooting and nothing strenuous was running. My battery cycle count was at 4.

So, they gave me an exchange. The new MBP 2020 came today and we realised the battery is not any better.

So in short, a 100% charge would last less than 4hrs, before I need to recharge it.

Anyone facing the same issue?

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Purchase a MBP 2020 from apple online store 2 weeks ago and recieved it last week.

Realised the battery life is only about 3hrs for normal surfing.

Went to apple technical support, did some diagnostic and they realised my set is completely fine.

But they agree that it shouldn't be only 3hrs of normal surfing usage.

During the tech support, the guy also noticed that the battery is draining too fast, draining about 2-3% for about 10 mins of troubleshooting and nothing strenuous was running. My battery cycle count was at 4.

So, they gave me an exchange. The new MBP 2020 came today and we realised the battery is not any better.

So in short, a 100% charge would last less than 4hrs, before I need to recharge it.

Anyone facing the same issue?

What software are you using with your MBP? Also are you using Chrome to do your web surfing?

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That’s definitely not right, even my mid 2015 MBP at 444 cycles and at current 85% capacity can still last more than that.

Recently I was using Zoom for an online course and a full charge with continuous use of iSight camera with connection to my AirPods still can last more than 3hrs before needing a charge, and that’s still not below 20%.

MadwolfNemesis

Reaction score
That’s definitely not right, even my mid 2015 MBP at 444 cycles and at current 85% capacity can still last more than that.

Recently I was using Zoom for an online course and a full charge with continuous use of iSight camera with connection to my AirPods still can last more than 3hrs before needing a charge, and that’s still not below 20%.

Exactly, my MBP 2011 (while I changed the battery 2-3 years ago) could probably outlast MBP 2020 😂😂😂

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If still within 2 weeks, return it and order a new one again, if tech support cannot solve ur problem.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Exactly, my MBP 2011 (while I changed the battery 2-3 years ago) could probably outlast MBP 2020 😂😂😂

At least you changed your batt, I'm still at my first one and contemplating to change too but now Apple Stores are closed and sending it in for servicing a bit troublesome. My MBP's still good to go and it's also the last model that have the illuminated Apple logo with all the essential ports.

birdman82

Reaction score
I'm running MBP 2020 i5 base version. The battery lasted almost 9 hours when i watch Viu or netflix in safari, brightness 80%, while connected to my airpods. The battery life is very good.

I bought the MBA 202 i5 previously. it was a piece of crap. it can't do anything decent without the fan running like a jet engine. Very irritating...
So i returned it after a few days and got the MBP instead.

I think u wun go wrong with the MBP even if u buy the base i5 version if u r running mainly Apple made apps.

but then, if u run chrome on MBP, even the MBP will get hot easily and u again can hear the fan running loudly...
Try running a 4k Youtube video in chrome, your MBP will start to make noise after a short while... Oh ya u can't run 4k videos in Safari. Its limited to 1080p only.

I ran the same video on my cheap $899 HP i5 (intel 10 gen) 16gig laptop, and the fan didnt even kick in.... the laptop was barely warm...

So in the end, I am returning the MBP as well and will be sticking to my cheap HP Win 10 laptop..

Last edited:

frozened

Reaction score
I returned my MBP i5 instead and kept my mba i7. The MBP i5 has some serious battery drain issues. With illustrator and photoshop it just drains so fast I can barely use it for work.

birdman82

Reaction score
what's the model of that cheap HP laptop? still got lobang haha?
i was actually looking to get the base model of MBP 2020 but thinking if i should wait one more year for ARM based MBP. not sure if it will be cheaper though

model is 14s-cf2018tx can search for it in Lazada. Its just a low cost laptop which gets the work done.
Got it 2 weeks ago during Lazada flash sale at $899 and came with $50 capitalland voucher from HP. Ya. its dirt cheap for a i5 10th gen, 8gig, 512gig ssd, radeon 530 2gb discrete gfx, 14inch 1080p screen. weight is 1.4kg, battery last about 6 hours on youtube/netflix/viu watching in chrome. I upgraded to 16gig ram on my own at $50+.

This thing runs literally anything except games of course. Chrome with many tabs, 4k vids, Zoom calls, photoshop, Google sketchup. Using it for work and kids' HBLs.

Then backside got itchy and tried out the MBA followed by MBP, thinking I'm just running some common light to moderate applications. Then, I realised that MBA and even the MBP don't really run the stuff I needed as well as I had expected. Chrome totally kills it, making both MBA and MBP fans running noisily when watching high res videos... Zooms calls were driving the fans crazy as well, so i couldn't use them for work or kids' HBLs.

I really liked the design of the macbooks, but I had to return both in the end as i couldn't really use them for my intended purposes.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What’s the purpose of running 4K videos on macbooks when the screens aren’t even 4K? Full HD now is already good enough.

birdman82

Reaction score
What’s the purpose of running 4K videos on macbooks when the screens aren’t even 4K? Full HD now is already good enough.

I was just curious to try out 4k videos on a MBP since its a 'Pro' laptop. I have been running some 4k videos on my cheap hp laptop without any issues. Yes, it only has a 1080 screen, but just for the fun of it, I tried running 4k vids and it ran smoothly without the fan spinning up like a jet engine. I'm just surprised that a much more expensive MBP can't peform this task.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was just curious to try out 4k videos on a MBP since its a 'Pro' laptop. I have been running some 4k videos on my cheap hp laptop without any issues. Yes, it only has a 1080 screen, but just for the fun of it, I tried running 4k vids and it ran smoothly without the fan spinning up like a jet engine. I'm just surprised that a much more expensive MBP can't peform this task.

I’ve also tried out 4K vids for fun previously and yes, the fans do spin louder and the system gets hotter but it doesn’t affect performance whatsoever.

If you think macbook fans are loud, your should check out Dell’s.

MadwolfNemesis

Reaction score
I'm running MBP 2020 i5 base version. The battery lasted almost 9 hours when i watch Viu or netflix in safari, brightness 80%, while connected to my airpods. The battery life is very good.

I bought the MBA 202 i5 previously. it was a piece of crap. it can't do anything decent without the fan running like a jet engine. Very irritating...
So i returned it after a few days and got the MBP instead.

I think u wun go wrong with the MBP even if u buy the base i5 version if u r running mainly Apple made apps.

but then, if u run chrome on MBP, even the MBP will get hot easily and u again can hear the fan running loudly...
Try running a 4k Youtube video in chrome, your MBP will start to make noise after a short while... Oh ya u can't run 4k videos in Safari. Its limited to 1080p only.

I ran the same video on my cheap $899 HP i5 (intel 10 gen) 16gig laptop, and the fan didnt even kick in.... the laptop was barely warm...

So in the end, I am returning the MBP as well and will be sticking to my cheap HP Win 10 laptop..

Thanks for sharing.

What about MBA 2020 i7? Does it have the fan issues like what you described for the i5?

MadwolfNemesis

Reaction score

frozened

Reaction score
So we are not the only one. Was that MBP 2020? Is the MBA 2020 i7 okay so far?

I was informed that Adobe CC has serious battery draining issues... Probably it is linked to that?

https://windowsreport.com/creative-...qfyJiO6OktyJivrvVaeh1Nc_bxlr4XtE4i1kmtFHmPmug

my MBA i7 works fine on CC. I think it has to do with the CC running in background. Not sure what’s wrong with my MBP but initiated a return already. Thermal wise MBP wins MBA, with zoom running both starts to throttle abit but MBA will start spinning the fans within 2-3 mins and hover around 60-70 degrees.
MBP for same usage stays below 40 degrees can’t hear any fan running

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.