Those middle class peeps, how much $ is enough to satisfy you?

taquito

Reaction score
For those earning around 5k+ at 30 and maybe 10k+ max towards retirement: how much lump sum money would you need to make you quit working forever, no matter how much you enjoy your job?

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those earning around 5k+ at 30 and maybe 10k+ max towards retirement: how much lump sum money would you need to make you quit working forever, no matter how much you enjoy your job?

maybe about $50m so that I can start a charitable foundation to give me something else meaningful to do with my time. :s13:

before someone starts claiming that 5k+ at age 30 is not middle class in the general population, pls note that there other 'what is your networth' and 'what is your income' thread in this forum that show that 5k-10k is indeed middle class by MM/SSI standards...

taquito

Reaction score
maybe about $50m so that I can start a charitable foundation to give me something else meaningful to do with my time. :s13:

before someone starts claiming that 5k+ at age 30 is not middle class in the general population, pls note that there other 'what is your networth' and 'what is your income' thread in this forum that show that 5k-10k is indeed middle class by MM/SSI standards...

lol 50m is near impossible. you either implying that no amount will make u quit ur job or you already gave up hope of thinking about that

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lol 50m is near impossible. you either implying that no amount will make u quit ur job or you already gave up hope of thinking about that

i guess it means that i wouldn't quit my job unless i can use the time to do something more meaningful. With $50m, i could probably embark on some valuable development projects and see new places at the same time, whether by myself, or in partnership with existing charities/NGOs.

terence2112

Reaction score
When I started working, my salary was 1.9k and I told myself that it’s insufficient and it needs to be at least 3k.

When I was 28, I worked hard and my salary became 3k. Commitments came and circumstances changed, and I told myself that I need to earn at least 5k.

I’m now 34 and am earning 5k, but circumstances change, and I still feel it should be at least 7k.

While there’s no fix “sufficient” amount, one thing constant throughout my short working life of 11 years, I religiously save and try to live below my means.

Once you are able to live below your means, you become easily adaptable and can survive with minimal income.

Gitaro

Reaction score

I have retired. From this COVID stay home experience, I need only 3.5ka month to get by comfortably, not counting big ticket items (e.g., travelling when the ban is lifted, etc).

1.5k for household expenses like food, groceries
1k for maintenance fee, petrol, utilities, phone bills etc
1 k for insurance, and other incidentals.

Last edited:

kokjj87

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 mil net worth by 35
2 mil net worth by 40
continue to work...

livingcharsiew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
500k earning 2.5% return by 40
1k a month more than enough for me
still got $500 leftover every month to spend on luxuries
cpf wipe off to buy 2 room bto

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

5M and i will quit my job immediately.

TiedInsurer

Master Member
Reaction score
$1m would be enough to satisfy me. But the wife would never accept it haha. She will up her expenses, in proportion to my wealth, to make sure I can never sit back and relax.

jywy2005

Master Member
Reaction score
Maybe 2 million in cash. Housing paid up. Only owe cpf money cos not selling house.

Need 3.5 k per month for daily necessities. Need to support children’s education etc.
Not prepared to sponsor them for overseas Uni.

taquito

Reaction score
Maybe 2 million in cash. Housing paid up. Only owe cpf money cos not selling house.

Need 3.5 k per month for daily necessities. Need to support children’s education etc.
Not prepared to sponsor them for overseas Uni.

2 mil to last for how long? how old are you now?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.