[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

007Mi6

Reaction score
Yes, the 920+ was announced a few days after I got the 918+. But for me, I will still stick with the 918+ as the 'update' is quite incremental only.

In my take, do you need the NAS now? Then go for the 918+. The 918+ can do the same things that the 920+ can. You can already play around with it, arrange your files and enjoy exploring what a NAS can do. Plus, the 918+ has been around for 2+ years now and is a great seller, so you know it's well proven hardware.

But if you can still wait and take your time (and you want the latest), by all means go for the 920+. Pricing will definitely be higher and you might wait until maybe a few more months in order for it to arrive in Singapore.

A third option is for you to wait for the 920+ arrival (If you can still wait). Compare the prices of the 2, then decide then. Maybe the price difference of the 920+ vs 918+ may allow you to get an additional Ram for the 918+, bigger HDDs or get SSDs.

Where did you find $719 for the 918+? The cheapest I know is $750.

I enjoyed my time in researching which hardware to purchase before I got my 918+. Hope you get to enjoy your time too! Always be here to give you opinions.

Hi, thanks for your input. Let me digest a bit.

$759 on Lazada and Shopee, with $40 coupons so about $719.

karloil

Reaction score

Oh I see. Lucky you have coupons now. I looked around and I think prices are creeping up again. :s22:

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh I see. Lucky you have coupons now. I looked around and I think prices are creeping up again. :s22:

I was considering to get the DS918+ awhile back. It was <$700. But I guess due to Covid 19, all the IT products price went up.

I have done my comparison like you before and found that DS918+ is a better value to go for. 4GB ram instead of 2GB on the cheaper model + 4 bay instead of 2 bay.

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Now Synology DS 918+ on Qoo10 is $805. Got $80 coupon for $800 spent. So nett is $725. If you use Qoo10 gift card, you get another $14 off, so it will be $711.

Or via Lazada, Videopro.com selling DS918+ for $739.

Quick grab the coupon now.

Last edited:

karloil

Reaction score
I was considering to get the DS918+ awhile back. It was <$700. But I guess due to Covid 19, all the IT products price went up.

I have done my comparison like you before and found that DS918+ is a better value to go for. 4GB ram instead of 2GB on the cheaper model + 4 bay instead of 2 bay.

Yeah, prices were a lot better before Covid - too bad it's only during lockdown I have the idea to get a NAS :s22: But I think I still got a good price on my NAS as the seller gave $70 off for packaged purchases. :D

Yes, I was looking initially at a DS218 but I viewed a video explaining that 4 bays can be more cost effective per GB than 2 bays, did the math and also realized that better RAID will give me more HDD space. So went with 4 bays.

Last edited:

Palmster

Reaction score
Hi there, i seem to be having some problems when i use BT, at times my NAS will just freeze and i need to manually reset. Could it have to do with my hard drive model? I’m using 4 Bay NAS

What is the model of Hard Drive do you recommend? I was look at Lazada and they have some Toshiba Hard Drive with 3 years limited warranty. Not sure whether cheap or expensive.
https://s.lazada.sg/s.ME8x

karloil

Reaction score
Hi there, i seem to be having some problems when i use BT, at times my NAS will just freeze and i need to manually reset. Could it have to do with my hard drive model? I’m using 4 Bay NAS

What is the model of Hard Drive do you recommend? I was look at Lazada and they have some Toshiba Hard Drive with 3 years limited warranty. Not sure whether cheap or expensive.
https://s.lazada.sg/s.ME8x

Before purchasing a new HDD, have you tried running a SMART Extended Test? To confirm, you said BT? Bluetooth? If you can, you can also do a factory reset with your NAS and make sure you have the latest DSM. You can start with these 1st.

I'm also using N300s - you can get cheaper ones in Carousell. But I suggest you run the Extended Test 1st to check if your HDDs really needs replacement.

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Before purchasing a new HDD, have you tried running a SMART Extended Test? To confirm, you said BT? Bluetooth? If you can, you can also do a factory reset with your NAS and make sure you have the latest DSM. You can start with these 1st.

I'm also using N300s - you can get cheaper ones in Carousell. But I suggest you run the Extended Test 1st to check if your HDDs really needs replacement.

I think BT = BitTorrent. Who transfer files over BT now right? LOL! It will be very slow.

007Mi6

Reaction score
Now Synology DS 918+ on Qoo10 is $805. Got $80 coupon for $800 spent. So nett is $725. If you use Qoo10 gift card, you get another $14 off, so it will be $711.

Or via Lazada, Videopro.com selling DS918+ for $739.

Quick grab the coupon now.

VideoPro no stock, in case you get excited 😆

karloil

Reaction score
I think BT = BitTorrent. Who transfer files over BT now right? LOL! It will be very slow.

hahaha :s13: Ok, I wouldn't know because I read some people installing and using Wifi cards in their NAS, don't know if you're one of them - that's why I confirmed =:p

alvin86

Reaction score
Till date running 2x ds918+, 4x 4tb each. Overall satisfied with the performance but it lags badly when im transfering things and streaming

hafiz116

Reaction score
Till date running 2x ds918+, 4x 4tb each. Overall satisfied with the performance but it lags badly when im transfering things and streaming

Can you give more details around your issues here?

When you say lags in transferring what sort of throughput are you getting?

For streaming what exactly are you streaming? file format, quality, transcoding?

alvin86

Reaction score
When im on high bandwidth on transferring files from desktop to nas, i tried opening vlc to watch a 720p xvid quality show, the vlc bar got stucked at loading bro lol.. guess it used up all bandwidth in the transfer

Questor

Reaction score
Hi all, good to see alot of discussion here.

I'm currently using a 1812+ which is still running fine. My strategy has always been to buy a larger NAS, then slowly add/replace HDD over time so the batches are spread out (learnt my lesson from the past). Currently I have 6 WD Red on SHR, and no failures throughout the 8 years.

I also back-up to separate HDDs by just copying the files over.. mainly because these are long term archives. No need daily/weekly backup.

Given the age of the server, I'm now thinking of buying a new 1819+ and deciding if (i) I should maintain the 1812+ as a backup, or (ii) stop using 1812+ and use some of the newer HDDs for the 1819+.

Questions:

1. Can anyone let me know if there is any advantage of using a second NAS for backup, versus my old method of just external HDD?

I haven't tried this feature yet, but isn't it simpler to have a 16TB HDD permanently linked to the 1819+ for regular essential backup via hyper backup or USB copy if I wanted that, and regularly change that HDD? Would the NAS be able to detect multi-bay usb-3 enclosures?

The only thing I can think of is I can reuse some old 2-6TB HDDs, but that's not really necessary to me.

2. Any strong recommendation for HDDs for the new 1819+? I was thinking of WD Red 8-14TB CMR, or Ironwolf... just leaning towards WD Red because of my good experience + matching current HDDs, versus multiple Seagate failures I had with my older NAS.

Last edited:

Tyer

Master Member
Reaction score
That's a very valid question. I just upgraded to a 4-bay NAS and thinking if i should do an offsite hyper backup or sell the 2-bay NAS off and get a external HDD as you mentioned. I think the plus point for having the NAS backup is

1. Offsite backup is always preferred.
2. You can put in the hdd into your main NAS for easy recovery.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, good to see alot of discussion here.

I'm currently using a 1812+ which is still running fine. My strategy has always been to buy a larger NAS, then slowly add/replace HDD over time so the batches are spread out (learnt my lesson from the past). Currently I have 6 WD Red on SHR, and no failures throughout the 8 years.

I also back-up to separate HDDs by just copying the files over.. mainly because these are long term archives. No need daily/weekly backup.

Given the age of the server, I'm now thinking of buying a new 1819+ and deciding if (i) I should maintain the 1812+ as a backup, or (ii) stop using 1812+ and use some of the newer HDDs for the 1819+.

Questions:

1. Can anyone let me know if there is any advantage of using a second NAS for backup, versus my old method of just external HDD?

I haven't tried this feature yet, but isn't it simpler to have a 16TB HDD permanently linked to the 1819+ for regular essential backup via hyper backup or USB copy if I wanted that, and regularly change that HDD? Would the NAS be able to detect multi-bay usb-3 enclosures?

The only thing I can think of is I can reuse some old 2-6TB HDDs, but that's not really necessary to me.

2. Any strong recommendation for HDDs for the new 1819+? I was thinking of WD Red 8-14TB CMR, or Ironwolf... just leaning towards WD Red because of my good experience + matching current HDDs, versus multiple Seagate failures I had with my older NAS.

1. raid, redundancies, versioning etc.
2. in this thread, most season users of Synology will tell one to stay away using RED. IF you like red go ahead. Don't come in tell us if it died on u.

Questor

Reaction score
1. Offsite backup is always preferred.
2. You can put in the hdd into your main NAS for easy recovery.

Interesting idea. Worthwhile if going offsite backup for sure.

2. in this thread, most season users of Synology will tell one to stay away using RED. IF you like red go ahead. Don't come in tell us if it died on u.

What are you buying then?

I think it comes down to luck, unless there is a particular issue with the recent Reds (apart from SMR issue). Bad batches can happen to anyone. The only thing I feel abit skeptical about now is longevity of helium.

Was looking at Ironwolf but didn't like the idea of higher power consumption and heat, otherwise looks good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.