Starhub/Singtel broadband/mobile

chloechloe

Reaction score
I am on StarHub for both my fibre broadband and phone. Obviously the internet sucks big time. Phone is ok.... Both contracts ended.

I am thinking - should I switch to Singtel or stay with StarHub and upgrade router etc?

but what I REALLY don't want to do is to have to relay my fibre. now the thingy (don't know what it's called) is quite nicely near my main door so not much wires. especially this period now I don't want to have to much rewiring to do.

I suppose if I switch to Singtel - do they need to re-wire everything? and worse still rewire to some other location like into my living room?

and if I just stick with StarHub but upgrade to that smart wifi thing or something, do I need to change the fibre outlet thingy? (still don't know what it's called..).

lastly - random but I'm also wanting to get a new iPhone (X or 11 both ok) but don't want to pay too much for a new plan cos I don't use too much local talktime. On the other hand I need a good overseas call U.S. plan for work purposes - any recommendations? p.s. I have a $200 StarHub contract voucher that is going to expire in less than 2 days.

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance!!! :) :) :)

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
StarHub internet speed is as good as it gets. Probably it’s just your router placement. Where is your current router? Is it in the same place as your ONT near the main door?

As for the mobile, you can get the iPhone 11 (not Pro) and sign up for IDD calls.

chloechloe

Reaction score
StarHub internet speed is as good as it gets. Probably it’s just your router placement. Where is your current router? Is it in the same place as your ONT near the main door?

As for the mobile, you can get the iPhone 11 (not Pro) and sign up for IDD calls.

what is ONT? the fibre thingy? it is near the door yes.

I tried to get a repeater but failed. but the router is also 2 years old . so if I get a new router will that help?

gut StarHub internet died the other time for like a few hours and it felt like the end of the world to me so I got a bit scared...

Apex

Reaction score
The fiber point that you have now should allow two connection. So I suggest wait until your new fiber is up before cancel your starhub.

So the new fiber connection should be using the same point that your starhub is on. Wiring should be minimum at this point.

BTW during this period the isp are taking turn to breakdown. Well so far singtel hasn't yet.

I guess with $200 off from starhub. Singtel iPhone price is unlikely to get going to be cheaper than starhub

chloechloe

Reaction score
Oh ok so even if it's Singtel I won't need to re-fibre?

Btw I have a few laptops and devices and it seems MacBook Air 2020 does the worst for internet connection. Anyone notice this phenomena? maybe should start a new thread... Actually my MacBook Air has a few problems.. battery life. + internet connections...

chloechloe

Reaction score
btw my StarHub everything has already expired. no more contract. now they are just billing me at the contract rate but no contract, that's why I need to do something soon otherwise waste money.

For my mobile I can either change to sim only and buy my own phone or use the voucher. it seems to work out to be the same cost roughly.

Apex

Reaction score

Btw I have a few laptops and devices and it seems MacBook Air 2020 does the worst for internet connection. Anyone notice this phenomena? maybe should start a new thread... Actually my MacBook Air has a few problems.. battery life. + internet connections...

The home fiber point support 2 isp concurrently. So your new isp will be connected to there. They might need to come into your house to activate the second point. But the wire work is minimum. The isp will advise according if they need to arrange their engineer to activate the second point.

Apex

Reaction score
btw my StarHub everything has already expired. no more contract. now they are just billing me at the contract rate but no contract, that's why I need to do something soon otherwise waste money.

For my mobile I can either change to sim only and buy my own phone or use the voucher. it seems to work out to be the same cost roughly.

If you done the maths and with and without line about the same cost. Than would suggests Sim only. Allow you to flexibility to switch mobile plan whenever there is a cheaper or better plan.

chloechloe

Reaction score
what is ONT? the fibre thingy? it is near the door yes.

I tried to get a repeater but failed. but the router is also 2 years old . so if I get a new router will that help?

gut StarHub internet died the other time for like a few hours and it felt like the end of the world to me so I got a bit scared...

The fiber point that you have now should allow two connection. So I suggest wait until your new fiber is up before cancel your starhub.

So the new fiber connection should be using the same point that your starhub is on. Wiring should be minimum at this point.

BTW during this period the isp are taking turn to breakdown. Well so far singtel hasn't yet.

I guess with $200 off from starhub. Singtel iPhone price is unlikely to get going to be cheaper than starhub

If you done the maths and with and without line about the same cost. Than would suggests Sim only. Allow you to flexibility to switch mobile plan whenever there is a cheaper or better plan.

That's great to know! thanks for the advice

btw - so if I switched my mobile provider as well but want to keep the number how does that work. Does it mean I have to wait for Singtel to send me a new SIM card and while that's "in the post" I can't use my number?

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am on StarHub for both my fibre broadband and phone. Obviously the internet sucks big time. Phone is ok.... Both contracts ended.

I am thinking - should I switch to Singtel or stay with StarHub and upgrade router etc?

but what I REALLY don't want to do is to have to relay my fibre. now the thingy (don't know what it's called) is quite nicely near my main door so not much wires. especially this period now I don't want to have to much rewiring to do.

I suppose if I switch to Singtel - do they need to re-wire everything? and worse still rewire to some other location like into my living room?

and if I just stick with StarHub but upgrade to that smart wifi thing or something, do I need to change the fibre outlet thingy? (still don't know what it's called..).

lastly - random but I'm also wanting to get a new iPhone (X or 11 both ok) but don't want to pay too much for a new plan cos I don't use too much local talktime. On the other hand I need a good overseas call U.S. plan for work purposes - any recommendations? p.s. I have a $200 StarHub contract voucher that is going to expire in less than 2 days.

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance!!! :) :) :)

Is your Starhub broadband currently using fibre or cable? If it is using Fibre, then you do not need to re-wire, if you were to switch to SingTel, it will use the second part of your TP. TP is the box layed by NetLinkTrust, there is 2 ports, i'm sure that only 1 port is currently being used. If you terminate Starhub, Singtel will use the other port.

On connectivity, I have used Starhub and Singtel Fibre/Cable broadband before. I have to say my experience with Starhub is the worst. Singtel still okay. However, after I switched to M1, everything is perfect. Cheap and good. If you want to get Singtel, you get opt for their Singtel Airtiles or Mesh like, to cover your entire house with network.

For mobile, if your phone still works and do not want to spend so much in a new phone. I would suggest you keep your phone until there is a significant upgrade to iPhone. That's when SIM Only plans comes in, you can get gomo at $20 per month for 20GB data or $17.90 per month for 20GB data.

Porting your number to new telco or MVNO, is free. Delivery of SIM charge applies to only some telcos.

p.s. If you do not watch movies or overseas tv channels, save to money, switch to M1 Fibre.

Last edited:

yotoden

Reaction score
I was switch from Starhub BB to M1, cheap and good and no transparent proxy in between, with DNS set to 1.1.1.1.

Singtel the ONR box a bit complicated, is it called ONR.

chloechloe

Reaction score
Is your Starhub broadband currently using fibre or cable? If it is using Fibre, then you do not need to re-wire, if you were to switch to SingTel, it will use the second part of your TP. TP is the box layed by NetLinkTrust, there is 2 ports, i'm sure that only 1 port is currently being used. If you terminate Starhub, Singtel will use the other port.

On connectivity, I have used Starhub and Singtel Fibre/Cable broadband before. I have to say my experience with Starhub is the worst. Singtel still okay. However, after I switched to M1, everything is perfect. Cheap and good. If you want to get Singtel, you get opt for their Singtel Airtiles or Mesh like, to cover your entire house with network.

For mobile, if your phone still works and do not want to spend so much in a new phone. I would suggest you keep your phone until there is a significant upgrade to iPhone. That's when SIM Only plans comes in, you can get gomo at $20 per month for 20GB data or $17.90 per month for 20GB data.

Porting your number to new telco or MVNO, is free. Delivery of SIM charge applies to only some telcos.

p.s. If you do not watch movies or overseas tv channels, save to money, switch to M1 Fibre.

Nice great advice. I think I am more and more convinced to switch to Singtel. I have never used Singtel before, but I have the feeling that StarHub is worse too. And I'm also quite worried about the reliability during this ** period.

For phone - my current iPhone X still does work but I dropped it so many times and there are so many cracks I wonder when it is going to konk. Yeah I agree iPhone 11 spex are unimpressive compared to X, which is why I'm also hesitant. And yes, the sim only plans are much better.

I'm not so worried about the delivery of SIM charge rather than any "downtime" to my number during the porting process which is used for business purposes.

I watch a lot of Netflix.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice great advice. I think I am more and more convinced to switch to Singtel. I have never used Singtel before, but I have the feeling that StarHub is worse too. And I'm also quite worried about the reliability during this ** period.

For phone - my current iPhone X still does work but I dropped it so many times and there are so many cracks I wonder when it is going to konk. Yeah I agree iPhone 11 spex are unimpressive compared to X, which is why I'm also hesitant. And yes, the sim only plans are much better.

I'm not so worried about the delivery of SIM charge rather than any "downtime" to my number during the porting process which is used for business purposes.

based on feedbacks seem on here, porting usually takes place from 11pm to 3am. For MyRepublic Mobile, it's usually during this time frame. It would be around the same for other telcos. M1 advised porting happens after midnight. So probably if you have big business to talk during 12am, then it would have some downtime. Otherwise, using wifi during the downtime will be a better option. Normally, porting would be done after you wake up in the morning.

Singtel fibre still okay, I left Singtel fibre because it's expensive and I do not watch MioTV. But Starhub is the worst experience of all. Problem still persists from cable to fibre.

Other option you can try is to buy the phone separately, from Apple shop, Harvey Norman or Best Denki, payment by interest-free credit card instalments. Then get a SIM Only plan from as low as $10 to $20.

SibehHL

Reaction score
And I'm also quite worried about the reliability during this ** period.

For reliability, just google and check which service provider has outages during this period and you will have your own answer... :(

chloechloe

Reaction score

based on feedbacks seem on here, porting usually takes place from 11pm to 3am. For MyRepublic Mobile, it's usually during this time frame. It would be around the same for other telcos. M1 advised porting happens after midnight. So probably if you have big business to talk during 12am, then it would have some downtime. Otherwise, using wifi during the downtime will be a better option. Normally, porting would be done after you wake up in the morning.

Singtel fibre still okay, I left Singtel fibre because it's expensive and I do not watch MioTV. But Starhub is the worst experience of all. Problem still persists from cable to fibre.

Other option you can try is to buy the phone separately, from Apple shop, Harvey Norman or Best Denki, payment by interest-free credit card instalments. Then get a SIM Only plan from as low as $10 to $20.

Singtel seems about the same price as StarHub now.. seems no brainer to switch then?

btw should I go for the wifi mesh thing? that's about $8/month more...

Also - is there a diff between 1G and 2G? I always have the impression my internet speed is limited by some other factors other than this 1G/2G thing.. so I feel even if I up to 2G there will be still some other constraints..

SibehHL

Reaction score
Also - is there a diff between 1G and 2G? I always have the impression my internet speed is limited by some other factors other than this 1G/2G thing.. so I feel even if I up to 2G there will be still some other constraints..

Connect your laptop directly to the router via cable & adapter (if using Macbook) and do a speed test. And then a second speed test directly from the ONT, then you will find out the the true speed and if the constraint is from Router OR your service provider.

Yihaoong

Reaction score
Be it you are on any Telco. It's all the same.

Make sure your WiFi setup is good.
Mesh! Is a better choice.

Singtel seems about the same price as StarHub now.. seems no brainer to switch then?

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1Gbps will be just nice, 2gbps unless you have multiple gamers streamers and high quality video streaming taking place in your home.

WiFi speed is also limited by your router and phone. With current wifi5 standards, the average peak speeds you can get is around 400mbps, even though you sign for 1gbps.

However, if you want a stable and fast connection to your computer/TV, do use then LAN cable. You can easily achieve 900mbps.

giraffey

Reaction score

Most of the 2gbps plans in the market simply means the total aggregated speed across the ONR ports would be 2gbps. The maximum bandwidth is still 1gbps per port. This is only useful if you have certain device(s) that require a high bandwidth all the time.

Real wifi speeds are also a fraction of 1gbps (often limited by the wireless routers / mesh / APs, the environment and the clients).

Speeds are also limited by the remote servers/websites we are connected to.

For most mainstream users, a 100mbps plan would be more than sufficient.

chongpang

Reaction score
1Gbps will be just nice, 2gbps unless you have multiple gamers streamers and high quality video streaming taking place in your home.

WiFi speed is also limited by your router and phone. With current wifi5 standards, the average peak speeds you can get is around 400mbps, even though you sign for 1gbps.

However, if you want a stable and fast connection to your computer/TV, do use then LAN cable. You can easily achieve 900mbps.

Any way to check my phone wifi speed?

Btw, my Singtel fibre Broadband expiring soon, any promotion on 6th June IT sale?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.