Android TV Box

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some of them are literal bricks, won't boot, boot loop, etc, that's why need to use the hard method. Burning tool would work but I don't have a A to A cable, the 3 I have at home are all USB 3.0 cables and they don't work. I have done it before using a 2.0 cable but I can't find it. I have solved those that are bootable, delete everything, update latest play services downloaded from apk pure, magisk, overclock and kept them running at 1.5ghz so they won't choke on 1080p videos on vanced.

the cable is only $1+

https://shopee.sg/USB-3-0-A-Male-to-A-Male-Extension-Cable-Blue-Black-6-Feet-i.104590058.1848970843

for those boxes with only 1GB RAM, the most important thing to do is to remove google playstore and google playservices.

ichinisan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems like the newer Mi Box S remote control comes with the Amazon prime video button?

Are there any nice shows on Amazon prime?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems like the newer Mi Box S remote control comes with the Amazon prime video button?

Even for old version of Mi Box S without the remote with Amazon Prime Video button (only Netflix button), Amazon Prime Video app is still available from the Google Play Store in Mi Box S.

Are you a Singapore Amazon Prime member or US Amazon Prime member? It is said the difference in terms of content offering is very significant.

For US Prime member, you need US VPN to access the content.

Singapore Prime Video trial for free:
https://www.primevideo.com/ref_=navm_em_0_1_1_18

It us S$2.99 per month for Singapore Prime membership. Benefits summary here.
https://blog.moneysmart.sg/shopping/amazon-prime-singapore/

US membership costs US$12.99 per month or US$119 if you pay annually.

Last edited:

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
Fleabag, the good wife, the Americans.

Can also rewatch the wire and the sopranos during this lockdown period.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is Anycast M100 good enough to stream from my phone?

Do not buy this type of device. Buy a proper box like Mi Box S which supports Chromecast out of the box, and then you can install apps for Airplay and DLNA cast.

cet87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using shafa launcher on my android tv.
Any good apps to intro?

rerear

Reaction score
Mibox 4s able to Netflix cast from phone to TV, without logging in to account on both handphone and TV?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mibox 4s able to Netflix cast from phone to TV, without logging in to account on both handphone and TV?

I think you mean to say Mi Box S. How can you access Netflix without logging to an account?

You can log in to the hand phone and then cast to TV through Mi Box S' Chromecast function. In that case, you do not need to log in to the Netflix App in Mi Box S.

Or you can directly log in Mi Box S' Netflix app and use it. No need handphone.

Are you saying that you have a smart TV with Netflix function? Then yes you can use Mi Box S' Netflix app, no need to log in to your hand phone or smart TV.

All in all, you need to log in at one of the devices, either the hand phone, Mi Box S or Smart TV.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using shafa launcher on my android tv.
Any good apps to intro?

It depends on your need. Shafa market apps are more meant for Chinese Entertainment. Many VOD apps may require China VPN (eg:Tencent Video TV version, Youku TV version and iQiyi TV version) and may require VIP for better user experience. Live TV apps are usually free.

You can take some references here. Written for iOS but it can be a start for Android TV boxes as well.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...phone-chinese-entertainment-apps-5929935.html

For example, you can try the international version of WeTV and iQiyi which do not need China VPN. No need to use Shafa market. They are available from Google Play Store.

Last edited:

rerear

Reaction score
Hi,
I am referring to the scenario below.
Is there a need to keep both the phone logged in, and also the Mibox S logged in, each using the Netflix app? Or is possible to just have the phone logged in?
Somehow there is no "cast" button showing up when the Mibox S is not logged in. Inconvenient when trying to use multiple phones/accounts to cast to Mibox S.

You can log in to the hand phone and then cast to TV through Mi Box S' Chromecast function. In that case, you do not need to log in to the Netflix App in Mi Box S.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am referring to the scenario below.
Is there a need to keep both the phone logged in, and also the Mibox S logged in, each using the Netflix app? Or is possible to just have the phone logged in?
Somehow there is no "cast" button showing up when the Mibox S is not logged in. Inconvenient when trying to use multiple phones/accounts to cast to Mibox S.

Hmm by right you do not need to log in Mi Box S. Just log in from the phone will do. Mi Box S just needs to wake up from sleep.

Uninstall Netflix (or disable it) and then try again. You do not need the Netflix app when using Chromecast function.

rerear

Reaction score
It actually prompts a message on the handphone:

Both devices must be signed in to the same Netflix account. Error XXXXX.

Hmm by right you do not need to log in Mi Box S. Just log in from the phone will do. Mi Box S just needs to wake up from sleep.

Uninstall Netflix (or disable it) and then try again. You do not need the Netflix app when using Chromecast function.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It actually prompts a message on the handphone:

Both devices must be signed in to the same Netflix account. Error XXXXX.

I see. In that case this looks like a Mi Box S limitation. I believe Chromecast dongles will not have such limitations (no way to log in anyway).

I do not use Netflix myself.

chongpang

Reaction score
Do not buy this type of device. Buy a proper box like Mi Box S which supports Chromecast out of the box, and then you can install apps for Airplay and DLNA cast.

Currently I'm using ipad adapter to monitor to stream movies, so I thought using anycast dongle should be better?

pulp_79sg

Reaction score
Hi All, need some help here..

I'm looking to buy the Mibox 4 purely to stream TVB Anywhere+. No use for Netflix or Amazon Prime because my TV comes preloaded with those apps. And no it's not very smart because I cant d/l any other apps.

Reasons why I'm inclined towards Mibox (unless there are better suggestions)

1) Price
2) Officially supported by TVB Anywhere+ (I believe there are different app version for mobile and TV and apparently only supported devices are able to install the TV version of the app.)
3) I reckon the resolution will be affected if I share my iphone screen to TV?

Based on my research so far:

1) There isnt an official source like Xiaomi Singapore to buy the box (warranty/tech support)
2) Sellers on Shopee, Qoo10 and Lazada flash China sets with English firmware so there's no warranty + support and you may be blocked from updating firmware.

So questions time..

1) Is there a more legit place to get the box?
2) Is there an alternative way to watch TVB on TV?
3) Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.. I'm not very good with all these tech stuff so plug and play will be best!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mi Stores sell Mi Box S but I guess they are still closed.

The following is an official shop from Xiaomi with local warranty even though they ship from China.
https://shopee.sg/product/178877065/5201808158?smtt=0.0.9

The cost is high now at S$109 -- but from time to time they have offer price like S$89 or even S$79 in January. Check out whether they have June 18 (618) offer or not.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All, need some help here..

I'm looking to buy the Mibox 4 purely to stream TVB Anywhere+. No use for Netflix or Amazon Prime because my TV comes preloaded with those apps. And no it's not very smart because I cant d/l any other apps.

tvb anywhere+ can't work on mibox 4

Reasons why I'm inclined towards Mibox (unless there are better suggestions)

1) Price

2) Officially supported by TVB Anywhere+ (I believe there are different app version for mobile and TV and apparently only supported devices are able to install the TV version of the app.)

only mibox s and other boxes using android tv os can support

3) I reckon the resolution will be affected if I share my iphone screen to TV?
tvb app on iphone disallow you to do that

Based on my research so far:

1) There isnt an official source like Xiaomi Singapore to buy the box (warranty/tech support)

yes, there are official xiaomi shop in singapore

2) Sellers on Shopee, Qoo10 and Lazada flash China sets with English firmware so there's no warranty + support and you may be blocked from updating firmware.

if you are talking about mibox s, it is not true. mibox s sold on lazada, shopee and qoo10 are geniue.

So questions time..

1) Is there a more legit place to get the box?
2) Is there an alternative way to watch TVB on TV?
3) Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.. I'm not very good with all these tech stuff so plug and play will be best!

see comments in red.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.