Software\Web development without degree?

AizenSousuke

Reaction score
Any idea how to get into the development world without a degree?

Any companies training then sending as outsource also can.

AizenSousuke

Reaction score
Do you have relevant skills in it?

yeap. have a portfolio. but apparently only gotten calls based on my previous jobs (not dev sector).

Any company that is a good 'foot in the door' kind? That accepts non-degree employees. Had an interview with a startup that advertises 'non degree' but they require degree level understanding of programming + years of experience. -.-

Even the portfolio doesn't pass that. fml

Build the next amazon

No need apply

Good suggestion. But it doesn't help.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeap. have a portfolio. but apparently only gotten calls based on my previous jobs (not dev sector).

Any company that is a good 'foot in the door' kind? That accepts non-degree employees. Had an interview with a startup that advertises 'non degree' but they require degree level understanding of programming + years of experience.

Yes, there are companies that will accept if you have a diploma in Computing. But you have to ask yourself, is it really the degree that matters or the knowledge that matters?

Without knowing your candidate in depth, how do you expect your employer to gauge you without a relevant degree? True enough, having a relevant degree does not absolutely determine that a candidate must be competent, which is candidates are often given technical tests to ascertain competency.

In your statement that jobs required degree level understanding + years of experiences, I will answer in 2 parts.

First there are always jobs that assume you are a fresh grad and hence a years of experiences is not always a necessity. However there is often an expectation that s/w engineers have a good understanding of the industry and are equipped with a broad understanding of what are the tools and softwares that are in the industry. All these knowledges are easily achievable just by frequent reading off online articles, news, and forums. With 3-4 years of education on this field, it will be hard to not be equipped with such knowledge. Not knowing in depth can be understood, but not knowing they exist is a different story.

Coming to competency, you have to ask yourself, if 10 candidates are available and the same remuneration is to be offered to all these 10 candidates, why should the employer take someone whom knows less (using the excuse that he/she does not have a knowledge that can be imparted in a degree CS or relevant course)? It is not the degree course that matters here, it is the expectation of knowledge that matters here.

Don’t expect a company to train you as if you don’t know anything. Companies train where it is industrial knowledge that is hard to acquired from institutional learning such as high availability setup, clustered environment, backup strategies, off-site, security strategies and tools, version control strategies, etc. You can’t expect the company to train you on multi-threading and multi-processing concepts, database calculus knowledge, concepts on programming methodologies and so forth.

Last edited:

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are companies that will accept if you have a diploma in Computing. But you have to ask yourself, is it really the degree that matters or the knowledge that matters?

Without knowing your candidate in depth, how do you expect your employer to gauge you without a relevant degree? True enough, having a relevant degree does not absolutely determine that a candidate must be competent, which is candidates are often given technical tests to ascertain competency.

In your statement that jobs required degree level understanding + years of experiences, I will answer in 2 parts.

First there are always jobs that assume you are a fresh grad and hence a years of experiences is not always a necessity. However there is often an expectation that s/w engineers have a good understanding of the industry and are equipped with a broad understanding of what are the tools and softwares that are in the industry. All these knowledges are easily achievable just by frequent reading off online articles, news, and forums. With 3-4 years of education on this field, it will be hard to not be equipped with such knowledge. Not knowing in depth can be understood, but not knowing they exist is a different story.

Coming to competency, you have to ask yourself, if 10 candidates are available and the same remuneration is to be offered to all these 10 candidates, why should the employer take someone whom knows less (using the excuse that he/she does not have a knowledge that can be imparted in a degree CS or relevant course)? It is not the degree course that matters here, it is the expectation of knowledge that matters here.

Don’t expect a company to train you as if you don’t know anything. Companies train where it is industrial knowledge that is hard to acquired from institutional learning such as high availability setup, clustered environment, backup strategies, off-site, security strategies and tools, version control strategies, etc. You can’t expect the company to train you on multi-threading and multi-processing concepts, database calculus knowledge, concepts on programming methodologies and so forth.

Most Companies only want developers to churn out code....

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most Companies only want developers to churn out code....

I don't know MOST. I only know what I need to do to differentiate myself among my peers. It all depends on your mentality, your decisions and your actions.

Churn out code is your scope of work, but HOW matters more :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.