Desktop Chair Roundup - Ergonomic Chair

melakamc

Reaction score
Any wallet friendly alternatives to HM Aeron, HM Sayl, or a decent mesh computer chair on taobao/ezbuy? Or anywhere?

Preferably less than $175

liewhl

Reaction score
Any wallet friendly alternatives to HM Aeron, HM Sayl, or a decent mesh computer chair on taobao/ezbuy? Or anywhere?

how can a chair which is less than $175 be a HM Aeron or Sayl alternative? is G-shock an alternatives to Rolex?

Last edited:

XseanX

Master Member
Reaction score
how can a chair which is less than $175 be a HM Aeron or Sayl alternative? is G-shock an alternatives to Rolex?

Yes, as they both serve their primary purpose perfectly of telling you the time while residing at your wrist.:s13::s13::s13:

Anyway joke aside, $175 budget for ergonomic chair is kind of impossible for any reputable brand, your best bet is to get those unknown china brand which is not advisable.

melakamc

Reaction score
Yes, as they both serve their primary purpose perfectly of telling you the time while residing at your wrist.:s13::s13::s13:

Anyway joke aside, $175 budget for ergonomic chair is kind of impossible for any reputable brand, your best bet is to get those unknown china brand which is not advisable.

Exactly my point. I'm not expecting the HM quality. As long as the chair is comfortable to sit for long hours allows me to adjust it in all the right places I'm happy.

Did anyone take the gamble of getting something off taobao/ezbuy and being really worth the money?

I've seen a few posts in this thread while ago about someone scoring a good buy for $125. But those listings are no longer there.

NotToday

Reaction score
Really chiongster, did you customize anything? I still think it's better to sit on the chair first before deciding. :s13:

nope did not manage to customize, cos promotional price only have for the pure black one :(

the color ranges allowable for customization looks interesting though! maybe next time :s13:

in the event the fern really buey gam i think i will straight away lelong at carousell hahhah but i've been sitting on wooden chair and super fake leather chair for so many years liao i think my body will appreciate fern easily :s13:

NotToday

Reaction score
No one Getting 2nd hand haworth zody?not worth?

actually i did dug into carousel for used zody for few days, but basically 2 scenario from what i'm seeing, either the seller mia / not responsive from the posts shared months or years ago, or the chair itself looks abit old liao, some stains also can even be seen from the seating pad

i'm no expert in commenting the material, but my another concern on used zody is also since the seat pad material looks like those spongy cushion type one tends to absorb sweat better, so if is used one i can imagine how many "essence" was trapped within abit eeeeekkkkkkk when imaging that LOL:s13::s13::s13:

but if is used aeron definitely i think no prob lor since it is mesh seat pad

also if compare the ave price on carousel, used for 5 to 7 years (range SGD 300 - 500) against a brand new one w/ 12 yrs warranty (SGD 800 to 1k (?)), i think the price not justified to me lah :p

my 1 cents only, afterall to each their own nor :o

Vulpix

Reaction score
actually i did dug into carousel for used zody for few days, but basically 2 scenario from what i'm seeing, either the seller mia / not responsive from the posts shared months or years ago, or the chair itself looks abit old liao, some stains also can even be seen from the seating pad

i'm no expert in commenting the material, but my another concern on used zody is also since the seat pad material looks like those spongy cushion type one tends to absorb sweat better, so if is used one i can imagine how many "essence" was trapped within abit eeeeekkkkkkk when imaging that LOL:s13::s13::s13:

but if is used aeron definitely i think no prob lor since it is mesh seat pad

also if compare the ave price on carousel, used for 5 to 7 years (range SGD 300 - 500) against a brand new one w/ 12 yrs warranty (SGD 800 to 1k (?)), i think the price not justified to me lah :p

my 1 cents only, afterall to each their own nor :o
Zody 700-800 niah for new one, where got worth buying 2nd hand lol. If you not picky can even pick the budget Zody called Soji which is 600.

Attila

Reaction score
Exactly my point. I'm not expecting the HM quality. As long as the chair is comfortable to sit for long hours allows me to adjust it in all the right places I'm happy.

Did anyone take the gamble of getting something off taobao/ezbuy and being really worth the money?

I've seen a few posts in this thread while ago about someone scoring a good buy for $125. But those listings are no longer there.

google "rape by chair" and you know why its not a good idea to buy cheap taobao chair....
my office had someone injure because of this. they change to heman miller aeron and embody immediately

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

IKEA Markus is not too bad of an alternative. Although even that is slightly above 175. Even my hm Aeron headrest already cost more than 175...

sseah12

Reaction score
Zody 700-800 niah for new one, where got worth buying 2nd hand lol. If you not picky can even pick the budget Zody called Soji which is 600.
noted on that thanks.. Will check it out.. Alternatively.. A fellow earlier mentioned the ortho chair less than 400 with double back pads.. Seem promising also..

LaChouette

Reaction score
nope did not manage to customize, cos promotional price only have for the pure black one :(

the color ranges allowable for customization looks interesting though! maybe next time :s13:

in the event the fern really buey gam i think i will straight away lelong at carousell hahhah but i've been sitting on wooden chair and super fake leather chair for so many years liao i think my body will appreciate fern easily :s13:

Dont worry you wont be disappointed. I have both the Aeron classic and Haworth Fern. And i would actually go to the extend of saying the Fern is many times more comfortable, and quite comparable to the Embody. Honestly the Aeron is overrated, people are getting it for showing off “Hey look im using an Aeron”. But because of that, benefit is that it holds its value very well over the years. But if you are looking at comfort, i can guarantee the Fern will impress you without a doubt.

Last edited:

melakamc

Reaction score
IKEA Markus is not too bad of an alternative. Although even that is slightly above 175. Even my hm Aeron headrest already cost more than 175...

Yeah fair enough. There's a guy on carousell selling used aerons for 340, but not responding 😂

Vulpix

Reaction score
Dont worry you wont be disappointed. I have both the Aeron classic and Haworth Fern. And i would actually go to the extend of saying the Fern is many times more comfortable, and quite comparable to the Embody. Honestly the Aeron is overrated, people are getting it for showing off “Hey look im using an Aeron”. But because of that, benefit is that it holds its value very well over the years. But if you are looking at comfort, i can guarantee the Fern will impress you without a doubt.

Wow you have both chairs! I only got to sit on th Arron at showroom and compare to Fern on different days. Maybe it's the way both chairs support the spine differently but the Fern felt way more comfortable.

LaChouette

Reaction score
Wow you have both chairs! I only got to sit on th Arron at showroom and compare to Fern on different days. Maybe it's the way both chairs support the spine differently but the Fern felt way more comfortable.
Yea I had the Aeron for 14 years already, and the Fern for a couple years. I like how the Fern contours to hug the shape of your back rather than suspend it like the Aeron. I also like the narrowness of the back because it doesn't block the back of your elbows from stretching behind the chair. Great for body movements and stretches throughout the day, which is why i described it as similar to the Embody. The Aeron doesn't allow much upper body movements, if any at all. Overall i feel the Aeron's ergonomic is very much outdated even for the remastered, and its only saving grace is its history and cult following for those who haven't gone out to try other chairs.

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yea I had the Aeron for 14 years already, and the Fern for a couple years. I like how the Fern contours to hug the shape of your back rather than suspend it like the Aeron. I also like the narrowness of the back because it doesn't block the back of your elbows from stretching behind the chair. Great for body movements and stretches throughout the day, which is why i described it as similar to the Embody. The Aeron doesn't allow much upper body movements, if any at all. Overall i feel the Aeron's ergonomic is very much outdated even for the remastered, and its only saving grace is its history and cult following for those who haven't gone out to try other chairs.

I think it depends on body type/shape. My office chair is embody, but I much better prefer the Aeron remastered I have at home. The lumbar support is not supportive enough on the embody imo. You have to test the chair yourself to see which one fits you better.

vamprose

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i don't think anyone would think that haworth/steelcase is an inferior product compared to HM.

but sadly neither produces a full mesh chair lol (which i think is a key reason people choose aeron in the first place).

i personally prefer the embody over aeron at the showroom, if not for that cheap plastic feel and creaking noise.

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i don't think anyone would think that haworth/steelcase is an inferior product compared to HM.

but sadly neither produces a full mesh chair lol (which i think is a key reason people choose aeron in the first place).

i personally prefer the embody over aeron at the showroom, if not for that cheap plastic feel and creaking noise.

Steelcase is one of biggest competitor to HM. I’m using Steelcase bivi table, super good quality and design.

Vulpix

Reaction score

I personally ok with cushioned seat, but the back must be meshed. Thankfully the Haworth backrest is meshed so at least can compromise there. :s13: Steelcase however, when I was trying out I don't think there is a mesh back or seat.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.