[Trip Report] Awaji Island and Kansai (20 July- 29 July 2019)

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it was a last minute trip as we needed a break, and we booked only around end May for the Jul trip.

we started with USJ in mind as they have the Cool Summer special rides. and since it was summer, we started searching for summer festivals to attend, and just nice Gion and Tenjin Matsuri were during the period we were going.

summer in Japan is associated with sunflower, so we tried to find sunflower fields in Kansai region. the first one we came across is Nanko Sunflower museum at the far end of Hyogo, but it was too out of the way. then we found England Hill in Awaji island and realised there are actually lots of things to see in Awaji. so we started planning our itinerary around Awaji island

Itinerary
20 Jul (Osaka) - SIN -> KIX
21 Jul (Osaka) - Osaka Castle, Kaiyukan
22 Jul (Osaka) - USJ
23 Jul (Osaka) - Himeji, Shimogamo-jinja
24 Jul (Osaka) - Gion Matsuri, Dotonbori
25 Jul (Osaka) - Tennoji, Tenjin Matsuri
26 Jul (Awaji) - Awaji - Hello Kitty Smile, Hanasajiki
27 Jul (Awaji) - Awaji - Izanagi Temple, Parchez, England Hill
28 Jul (Osaka) - Awaji - Sumoto Castle, Water Temple, Yumebutai
29 Jul (Nil) - KIX-> SIN

(xxxx) refers to my accommodation for that night

Accommodation
Osaka: Super Hotel Tennoji (9600 yen per night double room, free breakfast)
Awaji: Awaji International Hotel The Sunplaza (41381 yen per room per night, include breakfast and dinner)
Osaka: HOTEL UNIZO Osaka Umeda (9111y yen per night double room)

Transport
SQ: $631.70
1-day Osaka Kaiyu Ticket: 2600yen (21 Jul)
2-day JR West Kansai area pass: $52 (22-23 Jul)
Car rental in Kawaguchiko: 17712yen (26-28 Jul)

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i usually stay in Umeda area when i go Osaka, due to the ease of traveling within and out of Osaka, as well as malls and eateries in the area,

but this time round because it is a last min trip, could find any affordable hotel in Umeda, so decided to go with Super Hotel Tennoji. Super Hotel is one of my favorite business hotel chains because of the huge selection of food for the free breakfast. Tennoji branch even have an onsen.

some pics of my breakfast:
Tennoji branch serves Takoyaki every morning!

kaaTSnX.jpg

some branches have vending machines for drinks which becomes free during breakfast hours. for the Tennoji branch, they have drinks dispensers with various hot drinks and soft drinks

x7gmTJO.jpg

Natto... since it is free, i decided to give it a try. didnt like it

v88SM4k.jpg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Abeno Harukas 300 building
didnt have time to go up the observatory this trip even though we stayed in Tennoji

3JCza3P.jpg

Osaka Castle

6LX1HMi.jpg

xo1hOBZ.jpg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
we didnt bother going inside the castle. Osaka castle not really that interesting, and is rebuilt from scratch. so inside is actually quite modern, with proper staircase

ajg9jRt.jpg

gdtMBiE.jpg

o3ufuB1.jpg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
after Osaka castle, we went for a grueling hike to the summit of Mount Tenpo
signage at Mount Tenpo summit:
hFMsj3j.jpg

the sign says Japan no. 1 lowest mountain =:p
for those who still dunno Mount Tenpo is more commonly know as Tempozan, and this is just a small park behind the Tempozan Ferris wheel

NyvZQoV.jpg

C2bx2Kf.jpg

nF3UkdH.jpg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s OK to admire from the distance.

yah.. unless u are keen on the history, then maybe can go in. i been inside years ago when i first went Osaka. but after visiting many other castles, i realise Osaka castle really nothing much

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i've grown to like natto. you should try the smaller beans natto first, i think more easy on first timer

how you reach & get around Awaji island, ferry or bus?
attempt Awaji day trip on my last kansai trip, gave up as cost & time required not worthwhile unless I stay for at least 1 night
Natto... since it is free, i decided to give it a try. didnt like it

v88SM4k.jpg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i've grown to like natto. you should try the smaller beans natto first, i think more easy on first timer

how you reach & get around Awaji island, ferry or bus?
attempt Awaji day trip on my last kansai trip, gave up as cost & time required not worthwhile unless I stay for at least 1 night

oh.. didnt know got different type of beans for natto. all looks the same :s13:

i rented car at Nishi-Akashi station and drove in.
u can take a bus in, but getting around will be challenging. need to stay a few days at least, coz there are many things to see in Awaji.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
we visited a Doraemon exhibition at Osaka Culturarium, just beside Kaiyukan

yo4vzWl.jpg

LP8FLBC.jpg

1lWFg6t.jpg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Osaka aquarium, or Kaiyukan is a must-view for those who like aquariums. it is so much better than the SEA Aquarium in Sentosa

GeDHMGy.jpg

aH94a7J.jpg

N9zcp6A.jpg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the highlight of Kaiyukan is the whale shark in their main tank
sDgPfwy.jpg

8GLmgsQ.jpg

other occupants in the main tank

YnPp0w5.jpg

ev0PMxI.jpg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
we hanged around the area until dark to ride the ferris wheel at Tempozan

LUKPGSL.jpg

0bjviph.jpg

view from ferris wheel

4jNvXQP.jpg

GjOXiV4.jpg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Universal Studio Japan

need to be early at USJ because their opening hours not accurate one. they will open the gates 15-20min before the official opening time. so preferably need to be there half to 1 hour before to queue

AVVZU70.jpg

rXdF6jy.jpg

rainy day, but bobian, this is the only free day had as we wanted to avoid weekends

VdSzixU.jpg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used to have this. Should be at least 5-7 years old?

Natto is easier to eat with porridge. I read about its benefits and can overcome the taste for first-timers :s13:

LX3 more than 10 years already.. i bought mine in 2009, and retired it after this Awaji trip. it is still in prefect working condition, just that wife bought a new one :)

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
been a few years since Harry Potter World in USJ opened, and it is still very crowded. but at least entry isn't controlled and additional tickets not required.

i would think there is no need to buy the express pass that comes with the guaranteed entry to Harry Potter World if the aim is to go Harry Potter World. even for the rides, i managed to cover all the rides without express pass

7suXbcG.jpg

TWiMrlw.jpg

tzB5VCF.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.