Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info

green72

Reaction score
Im just worried about them coming up to my place and do things like splashing paint and call up my office and etc.. I have made a police report as well earlier.. this really makes me super down and i feel so ashamed of myself.. anyway i hope things will be ok..

johnson ymj, man up, they are masters of putting fear, anxiety and uncertainty in us.

Also they are masters of wayang. Talk tough on the phone. Even my 90+ year old grandfather also can do that. I say ALL their threats are BS. They are only expert at making you lose face by telling friends and family you owe them money. Beyond that, they can't even touch you. The poor idiots that they may send to your house are victims that they harass too. These runners are ordinary people like you and me, not hired professional killers. Sadly these idiots runners don't realise that they will be caught soon after and 3 strokes on the cane is waiting for them in prison, even if they only paste debtor notes on the wall.

You have to start ignoring these as soon as possible. Just accept and be prepared for any events. By that I mean is to continue ghost them, install cctv and ready to call 999 if harassed at home.

You have been their money tree or golden goose for the last 2 months so they will try to make you fear them to continue paying. Thankfully you stop. No more paying please, it will never end. No such thing as finish paying, they will come up with excuses and more threats. These are not loanshark of old, these are more like scammers.

For the time being you need to think military-like, react accordingly and suppress the fear. Anyway, by ghosting them and not paying, you have clearly on your way out of the harassment. Your action and persistence tells them you had enough and not fear them.

Losing face won't kill but feeling guilty will lead to more sinister suicidal thoughts that will. Snap out of it, take back your life.

Police is here to protect you, so use them. Continue ghosting the UML and I'm sure you can have peace. But for now stay vigilant and list the task you have to do in an event harassment comes to your doorstep.

Get ready but don't wait for anything to happen, just force yourself to live a normal life. Their threats are at most splash paint or lock gate or scrawl graffiti O$P$ or paste debtor notes or some other non lethal harassment. That's the best they can do.

Last edited:

Slamdol

Reaction score
I setup this thread regarding Loanshark harassment. I, myself is not a debtor however to be frank someone in my family does.

I hope to gather more users and people to voice out. The Police are doing a lot to curb this problem. However we must face the fact that this problem had been there for decades. Have faith and trust in our system. It is very hard to eliminate the network, nevertheless if every citizen does their part in cooperating; it is must easier to get to the network.

This is how you can help. If any of your family members owe loan shark money, tell them not to pay up a single cent. Tell them to call the Police Hotline number 1800 225 0000 to transfer you to the relevant department. In which there is a specific department in the West that handle Loan Shark Cases.

In the event that you are the debtor, please refrain from helping the loanshark or fall into their trap to help them in their illegal activities. They will ask you for personal details. E.g. Singpass, ATM card or even ask you to help them distribute brochures or transfer money.

Don’t fall prey to become a target by the loanshark syndicate. In the event that you can’t make payment they will ask you to work for them to pay off your debts. Don’t do it. Owing money doesn’t resort in a death penalty, jail sentence or caning. However if you are debtors turn assistors, the punishment is very severe. You, yourself will in turn from a victim become a criminal.

Under the Moneylenders Act 2010 (Revised Edition), first-time offenders found guilty of carrying on the business as an unlicensed moneylender or assisting in the business of unlicensed moneylending may be fined not less than $30,000 and not more $300,000, be imprisoned for a term not exceeding four years and shall also be liable to be punished with caning not more than six strokes. First time offender found guilty of loanshark harassment shall be punished with imprisonment for a term of up to 5 years, a fine of not less than $5,000 and not more than $50,000, and shall also be liable to caning of not less than 3 and not more than 6 strokes.

You have heard of the saying, 明知道老虎会咬人,你还一直喂他,那就是自寻死路。
If you are a debtor, please don’t blame yourself for what happen. If you are not desperate, you won’t be borrowing from them. Seek your family understanding. Sometime you would feel helpless, you are loss, you always trying to source money to meet payment, the pain and psychological torture is unbearable. But please face the fact; this is never the end of life.

Don’t pay them; it is not against the law not to pay them. They will threaten to report on you and use a lot of threatening message to make you pay or work for them. But come to think of it, when did they show up to receive the payment in person. It is always through Bank Transfer. Ask yourself why.

Learn to understand the situation you are in, accept it. And be true to your family about the money lending matter. Call NPCG for counselling in the event that your family members don’t understand.

The methodology that they used is always to instill fear in their victims. And from the news you would know that many loan shark always are so notorious. But come to think of it, who are the one that are being used by them. Who are the one that are doing the dirty job? The debtors are always the one.
Ask yourself a question, why does the Police always so reactive towards the loan shark? It is because the loan sharks are always under the veil. They used the debtors as smoke screen.

What will happen in the event you don’t pay up?
They will spray paint at your house, disturb your neighbor, disgrace you, humiliate you and shame you. These are the tactics that they used. So how bad can this be? Do you want your life back again? Or do you want to live in a lifetime full of fear. I will be very honest with you. My father had been feeding the tiger for years and finally now, he decide to heel the Police advice and stop paying and cooperate with them.

You are not the only one suffering if you continue to pay. Think about your family for the long term. Do you want them to suffer with you for 10 year, 20 years, worrying about money? Think about it. Do you want to be partner in crime? Or do you want a lifelong happiness with your family. If you really care for your family members, you should know the right thing to do. If you are scares you can always post on the forum or talk to someone regarding the case.

I believe if we unite as one, we can accomplish more. If you are young, bold, adventurous, please feel free to voice out. We can always spend some time to help one another. We can help family by family if we have more manpower. The debtors need people to talk to. The family members need assurance and comfort. We don’t blame other for not helping us, if we are not helping ourselves. We don’t need to resort to violence; we want to build a peaceful community for everyone to live in.

And again, I need more people and more support to discuss matter and also plan to help other out.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Thanks good read

happydonkey

Reaction score
It’s been 2 weeks since I fall prey to loan scams. Just finished watching drama with my spouse and thought of dropping by to give any newbies some hope.

After being harassed for the first 2 hours via WhatsApp and phone calls, after I changed number and ghosted on them I have so far been safe, well and no more harassment. That first 2 hours created a lot of fear and shame initially.

Staying vigilant now, but fear has stopped for close to a week. Feeling stupid, yes. But I’m a victim so I figured there’s nothing to be ashamed of, if they called me out to my neighbours or friends. I did nothing illegal except being stupid to fall into their trap.

They should be the ones feeling ashamed since they are the scammers. I’ve been living well and happy but still vigilant with kids at home. Let karma find them, let us live our life happy and fearless.

Stay vigilant and take care.

Last edited:

thgfrdsi0512

Reaction score
hi all, my dad recently got involved with some loan sharks and he paid ALOT of money to different numbers (they called it agent fees before they can give the loan) but have not gotten a cent back. he even gave all his personal details to them and it seems like it has spread among their syndicate as several of them have demanded him to pay up for loans he did not take. a few days ago he received threatening messages such as them coming up to our unit and all. we have made a police report and changed all his passwords and accounts. but now, i just found out that he actually signed a loan agreement pdf to repay 30k loan to one of them? but the funny thing is, the loan agreement did not state anything bout them loaning my dad the 30k, only bout him owing them?? so now, can they actually use this document against us? is this agreement actually 'legal'? bcoz we did not actually received a single cent and we have blocked and reported him already. is there anything that we can do now?

Hi. Its just been a day since i ghosted them so im still fearful of what they will do next. Mine is the typical loan scam but i have heard about the scam your dad has fell for.

My comment will be firstly to ghost them, change all phone numbers and do the necessary (u can learn a lot from this thread so pls read all of them if u haven't), stay vigilant during the day and night and if u suspect anything amiss call the police immediately.

For the so call legal letter i don't think they are stupid enough to show their face to bring u to court even though its a black and white. What they are doing is trying to scam u, and even if they decide to sue u for whatever funny nonsensical reasons do u think they can win the case when its obvious they are the scammers?

What i think they can do is to use this letter as the triumph card to force u to pay a sum of money that u are not obligated to. They might continue to harrass you and stuff, trying to shame u and force u to pay up. So pls do not give in to them if not the nightmare will not be over..

Just stay calm, stay safe and try to live your life normally. Its hard to do that i know as im going through this stage now myself.. Its not going to be easy but just hang in there, i believe the worse will be over soon and u can always let us know how it goes on here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thank you. i really hope they won't waste their time and money harassing someone who literally owes them nothing but only gave them money.
also, my dad seems to have not learned his lesson yet and ask me if he should 'discuss' with the UML to strike off that agreement haiz

just wanna know are there cases like that where they didn't even get any principal amount at all but still got harassed?

U have to wake your dad up. There is no way to discuss with UML. They are not those old time UML where money will solved the problem. Those are scammers. Scammers have no empathy. Their goal is to get as much money from u as possible. They of cause will lie to u that payments made and everything will end. But the real fact is, it will never end. It might just end one stall but the next stall will come after u again and again

happydonkey

Reaction score
thank you. i really hope they won't waste their time and money harassing someone who literally owes them nothing but only gave them money.
also, my dad seems to have not learned his lesson yet and ask me if he should 'discuss' with the UML to strike off that agreement haiz

just wanna know are there cases like that where they didn't even get any principal amount at all but still got harassed?
The more ur dad speaks to them or pay them the more they won’t leave ur family alone. Read my post they only managed to harass me for a few hours. That’s it. Someone said the end part is we turn angry. I’m angry for sure and instead waiting for them to do silly things to catch them.

I’m luckier I didn’t sign any agreements though I asked them for it. I did receive a $500 and supposed to pay $800 to them which then I went to the police. And I know I was scammed before they could do more. So I gave them a timeline give me the account to transfer the money back or they won’t hear from me anymore because my telco going to cut off my line in a couple hours.

They probably know I’m very determined to have them ghosted so also decided not to waste anymore time on me

Reaction score
Nightmare returns. Been almost 3yrs since last harassment. Out of the blue recieved. Demand payment of $500 from 3yrs back (I believe is the same scam where they transfer 500 themselves without us knowing that soom of us suffer from). I have even stupidly paid 750 then before reporting to police. Seems like a more fierce 1 this time straight away threaten if not paid, will come splash paint, damage car and then it will be 20k and not 500 anymore. What are the chances that he will act upon the threat for just 500? Should I just pay the 500 (he say will delete off my account)

3 years ago how did you get out of it? 3 years later you still haven't learnt your lesson. Fear not! And most importantly DO NOT PAY!!!! There is no other option.

Reaction score
It’s been 2 weeks since I fall prey to loan scams. Just finished watching drama with my spouse and thought of dropping by to give any newbies some hope.

After being harassed for the first 2 hours via WhatsApp and phone calls, after I changed number and ghosted on them I have so far been safe, well and no more harassment. That first 2 hours created a lot of fear and shame initially.

Staying vigilant now, but fear has stopped for close to a week. Feeling stupid, yes. But I’m a victim so I figured there’s nothing to be ashamed of, if they called me out to my neighbours or friends. I did nothing illegal except being stupid to fall into their trap.

They should be the ones feeling ashamed since they are the scammers. I’ve been living well and happy but still vigilant with kids at home. Let karma find them, let us live our life happy and fearless.

Stay vigilant and take care.

Thanks for being here to share and advise the new victims.

Reaction score

Pls watch this and remind you again. Stop digging a deeper hole by paying. Here is a video how the whole scam works. https://youtu.be/gpoU8lMq1f4

MrHelper93

Reaction score
To all my fellows friend, I was a victim 8 months ago. I believe there are many people out there right now are helpless and regretted what you have done. During your lowest point of life, you need cash badly, you seek help from your friend. Break the trust and delay all your payment. Girlf starts to leave you, friend start to scared of you when they received your call. I understand this feeling. Because I came from there.

I’m proud to be who I am today. Owing more than 30k due to gambling debt. I’m only 26 this year. To all the brother and sister. You might think I am young to give you all advice. But trust me. I go thru more than most of you here. UML are just cowards. Yes, the first few times I’m scared. I decided to be a man and tell everything to my family and the police. Many say police can’t do much. Yes they can’t do much, but they always try to help. Remember one thing no matter how UML threaten you, take up the challenge. Don’t reply them block all of them and don’t pay a single cent. Start afresh. It’s been 6 months. I’m proud to be who I am today. Clearing off to sibling the money you borrow without thinking about UML interest. Work hard and eventually you can be great again. During your toughest time trust me the only person you can rely is yourself. Don’t give up. When life give you lemon, take it. You will be used to the taste and emerge stronger.

Ytpapa

Reaction score
Jia you.
In past I own 50k due to failed biz.
Mistrust a friend in borrowing UML.
Now working n crawling to recovery.
Uml only know how to use their innocent runner to chase n some small pattern. Rest they cant do much

stressout888

Reaction score
3 years ago how did you get out of it? 3 years later you still haven't learnt your lesson. Fear not! And most importantly DO NOT PAY!!!! There is no other option.
They stop harassing me after I made police report, install cam, stay vigilant, block off all contact. Android phone can auto reject all private numbers, unknown numbers, that help abit. And now all Singapore numbers will not indicate +65. A good way to filter as well. Well I’ve made a police report again. Hopefully will catch them soon

thgfrdsi0512

Reaction score
Hi all just to share what im currently going through.. around 2 months back, i am stupid enough to believe a ad sent to me on whatsapp claiming himself to be from a legal ML company and i took a small loan of $500 from him. Ever since i have been borrowing from 20 other UML to pay one another.. total amount i borrowed was around 4k and im quite sure i paid more than that till this date.

I feel so suffocated because everyday i have to find funds just to pay the ***** deferment to survive another day.. due to this i owed my friends money, can't concentrate on my work and etc. It really suck and i am so regretful of my decision.

Today i finally had the courage to stop all payment to them and not surprising they harrassed me via WhatsApp non stop and they also harrassed my parents through calls, sms and WhatsApp as well.

I did what i could now by installing apps that blocks unknown and not from contact list of numbers for my parents and for myself, so at least the virtual harrassment stops for now.

Im just worried about them coming up to my place and do things like splashing paint and call up my office and etc.. I have made a police report as well earlier.. this really makes me super down and i feel so ashamed of myself.. anyway i hope things will be ok..
Just a update for my case.. one of the UML has called up my company and also sent in an email this afternoon asking my whereabouts and asking me to pay them. The email got cc to all the big shots in the company and i tried my best to explain to my boss who is understanding but limited to what he could do.

So after discussion the best way will be for me to tender resignation with immediate effect rather than waiting for the HR to terminate me.

I was obviously sad and super broke down losing a job in time of a crisis like this.. im just staying strong now and hopefully i can overcome this period.

To all who suffer the same fate as me trust me this is not the end although its really disheartening to the core

Hulkeyee2020

Reaction score
Just a update for my case.. one of the UML has called up my company and also sent in an email this afternoon asking my whereabouts and asking me to pay them. The email got cc to all the big shots in the company and i tried my best to explain to my boss who is understanding but limited to what he could do.

So after discussion the best way will be for me to tender resignation with immediate effect rather than waiting for the HR to terminate me.

I was obviously sad and super broke down losing a job in time of a crisis like this.. im just staying strong now and hopefully i can overcome this period.

To all who suffer the same fate as me trust me this is not the end although its really disheartening to the core

This is a very sad experienced bro.
Be strong. What had been done cannot be undone anymore.
It happened to me last time as well they send email to my company and cc to my hr luckily I was able to convinced our hr that it's a scam.
After a few weeks they splashed my house.
I was very upset and wanted to take revenge with those scamners, so what i did i took a few loans again online and never pay any single cents..

Reaction score

Don't be so hasty to resign if this job is important to you. Talk to the boss and hr to explain you have been scammed and that it was not your intention to borrow from loan sharks, it's not what they think.

Show them this video, if you need some one to explain to them, feel free to PM. If all else fails, don't lose heart, find a better job and pick up from there. Take care!!

thgfrdsi0512

Reaction score
This is a very sad experienced bro.
Be strong. What had been done cannot be undone anymore.
It happened to me last time as well they send email to my company and cc to my hr luckily I was able to convinced our hr that it's a scam.
After a few weeks they splashed my house.
I was very upset and wanted to take revenge with those scamners, so what i did i took a few loans again online and never pay any single cents..

Yup its really sad and embarrassed.

Bro so they splash your house after they harrased your company?

thgfrdsi0512

Reaction score
Thanks bro justiceleague2018 your advise and encouragement. I have decided to resign partly is also because i can understand my colleagues worries also as they are afraid the UML might find their way to the company and their life might be in danger and etc. I should be able to land myself in another job in the next few months even though the salary is lesser than now, but still i consider myself lucky enough if i can have the job.

green72

Reaction score
Thanks bro justiceleague2018 your advise and encouragement. I have decided to resign partly is also because i can understand my colleagues worries also as they are afraid the UML might find their way to the company and their life might be in danger and etc. I should be able to land myself in another job in the next few months even though the salary is lesser than now, but still i consider myself lucky enough if i can have the job.

Sorry for your predicament. But no lives will be in danger from a UML harassment.

Police is here to protect us. Hate to read society as a whole still believe their threats and harassment in Singapore.

Stay strong bro.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.