Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i got NordVPN and a new Asus RT-58u router recently
Managed to setup OpenVPN with Nord on the router but realised that it would apply for all SSIDs

Has anyone managed to setup different ssids like
1) Regular SSID
2) SSID connected to VPN

So I can simply toggle between the ssids rather than turning the VPN on/off on the router page (which routes all connected devices through the VPN)
I read that its possible if you use the AsusWRT - Merlin FW but would like to hear more about it before trying the setup

I have not tried this but I think it is not separate SSIDs but rather through different policies. So only the websites which need the Nord VPN will go through the VPN. Once setup is done and tested, it is automatic and transparent to the users. But then when the service providers change IP addresses, you may need to adjust the rules.

Ref:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-netflix-amazon-etc.36608/

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Policy-based-routing

Last edited:

Albertphoon

Reaction score
Do you mean the OpenVPN server on Asus routers? You need to have a good one with powerful CPU which can do encryption work fast in order to have good OpenVPN performance, like Asus RT-AC86U.

The performance is very good and can be around 200Mbps. New AX router like the AX88U and AX86U should offer similar performances.

Ref:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-performance-of-the-rt-ac86u.41217/

So basically, expect around 200 Mbps of throughput for RT-AC86U (I doubt the GT-AC5300's extra cores will make any real difference, OpenVPN being single threaded). That's about 4x faster than the RT-AC68U, and probably around 3x faster than the RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100/RT-AC5300.

Yes, I am also getting abt 200Mbps , and no way above 250.
I still prefer the nomal w/o VPN with speed above 650 on wifi. Unless I really need the VPN. Now I am setting up another PC on this to save the trouble on changing the setting now and then.

netfreak123

Reaction score
anyone manage to get the surfshark smart dns to work on mibox s? Seems like not working (but working fine on my mac/pc)

ericok

Reaction score
Hi, i would like to have surfshark and nordvpn code as well,please pm me, thanks a million.

doofie

Reaction score
can anyone post their speed on NordVPN with starhub or 1gb network? I'm on starhub 1gbps and using PIA. On SG servers i'm getting around 200-300 up/down speed. On HK server around 100-200. And JP around 100.

i saw that nordvpn has a lot of servers in a lot of countries, was wondering if the performance is better?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can anyone post their speed on NordVPN with starhub or 1gb network? I'm on starhub 1gbps and using PIA. On SG servers i'm getting around 200-300 up/down speed. On HK server around 100-200. And JP around 100.

i saw that nordvpn has a lot of servers in a lot of countries, was wondering if the performance is better?

Their speed performance is not very good

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

PIA is very fast based on your data. I doubt any other VPNs can have that kind of speed consistently in Singapore.

Nord VPN is pretty fast in US.
https://restoreprivacy.com/nordvpn-vs-pia/

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bro how to register 爱加速?

A bit troublesome if you do not have iOS devices in terms of payment.

If you have iOS device, register with an email address and then pay through Apple in app purchase.

S$4.98 per month if you pay monthly.
S$12.98 if you pay quarterly.

Or you can pay for one month at S$6.98 to see if it is good or not.

Free plan is 20 minutes per day.

If you have an Android device, you have to pay through WeChat Wallet or Alipay, troublesome for most of the people in this forum.

Offer price now.
RMB 20 per month.
RMB 53 per quarter.

Last edited:

memoriess

Reaction score
A bit troublesome if you do not have iOS devices in terms of payment.

If you have iOS device, register with an email address and then pay through Apple in app purchase.

S$4.98 per month if you pay monthly.
S$12.98 if you pay quarterly.

Or you can pay for one month at S$6.98 to see if it is good or not.

Free plan is 20 minutes per day.

If you have an Android device, you have to pay through WeChat Wallet or Alipay, troublesome for most of the people in this forum.

Offer price now.
RMB 20 per month.
RMB 53 per quarter.

i am using ios device, but i cant seem to register. Need phone number to register

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.