Singtel HG8244H change to Bridge Mode

mun_hoe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm currently using Whizcomms and they issue a HG8240T5 to me.

I manage to login using Support account.

After that i did this:

(HG8240T5)
1. Turn on DHCP Relay
2. Change to Bridge mode.

(TP-Link Archer C9)
3. Under IPTV, i added VLAN 10 as internet connection.

But somehow my router just unable to get the Public IP.

Any pro here can help?

Many thanks!!

if ONT is set to bridge mode. need not tag VLAN on router end.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you manage to get back into the webui?

:s13: No. Lol :s22: there’s no hard reset on this onr as well. But from march until now all good. Fingers crossed.

But i searched this online.

Reset Huawei HG8244H Ooredoo router to factory defaults
To reset the Huawei HG8244H Ooredoo to its default settings, you have to do the following steps:
Turn on router
Press Factory Reset button and hold for at least 15 seconds
Device restarts automatically
Default settings have been restored

I wonder where is the sacred button.

Last edited:

tuntun

Reaction score
I just subscribed to Singtel and scheduled to install on 24 June. Can I request installer tech to configure ONR port 1 to get public IP and 2-4 configure to use with TV service?
I have given a router from office IS dept with preconfigured of VPN to HQ. But it needs a public IP to connect at WAN port. Double NAT cannot access. Is ti possible or anyone can advise/help me after singtel installation?
Thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just subscribed to Singtel and scheduled to install on 24 June. Can I request installer tech to configure ONR port 1 to get public IP and 2-4 configure to use with TV service?
I have given a router from office IS dept with preconfigured of VPN to HQ. But it needs a public IP to connect at WAN port. Double NAT cannot access. Is ti possible or anyone can advise/help me after singtel installation?
Thanks

You can always try to ask SingTel help before the installation. Do you have SingTel TV services? How many boxes? Chances are not high though.

Since you have legitimate use cases for work, the easier way is to convince your company to pay you a separate line (say M1 500Mbps plan for S$29.9 per month) and then use it for your work.

If you do it post installation to configure as a single port ONT, you need to check if your company issued router supports vlan or not. Moreover, even if it does, it is not supported by SingTel and you are on your own.

Last edited:

uncle_josh

Reaction score
firstly Singtel only issues ONR to new subscribers. too bad you did not do your home work.

to use your own router you need to go to M1/SH/MR/WC

option 1
bang table ask to bridge the ONR

option 2 change to 1 + 1Gbps
where they will let you use one of the port with WAN ip address to use with 3rd party routers

option 3
change/subscribe to a new isp

Sent from 天作孽 犹可恕 自作孽 不可活 using GAGT

giraffey

Reaction score
Thanks

In ONR mode, you cannot use your own router.

Another option for you to consider is to see if your company can allow you to use a VPN client to be installed on your computer. This way, you don't have to use the router.

acme

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping up old thread.

Anyone able to advise on the username and password for support account? i cant seem to login to support account except for root/admin account. In the root/admin account i dont see any option that i can change to bridge mode.

TIA!

Repsol_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
firstly Singtel only issues ONR to new subscribers. too bad you did not do your home work.

to use your own router you need to go to M1/SH/MR/WC

option 1
bang table ask to bridge the ONR

option 2 change to 1 + 1Gbps
where they will let you use one of the port with WAN ip address to use with 3rd party routers

option 3
change/subscribe to a new isp

Sent from 天作孽 犹可恕 自作孽 不可活 using GAGT

I can imagine those who use ONR and plug their NAS directly. Lolx sensitive document all exposed to singtel support. Good luck.

I had to bang table to get them change to bridge mode. Took them a while to sink in when i did recontract. They assumed i used the new plan with ONR when my original plan is unlimited fiber with ONT. They shut my network within mins. Sales is clueless what they sell. Tech support is clueless on what they support. I strongly do not recommend anyone subscribe to singtel. What era are we. Who on earth still watch singtel TV?

Last edited:

tuntun

Reaction score
you mean your network down after they switch ONR-ONT? now how? back to ONT to use your own router or use back their ONR? Thanks

acme

Master Member
Reaction score
you mean your network down after they switch ONR-ONT? now how? back to ONT to use your own router or use back their ONR? Thanks

Yes, after you bang table they will change the configuration on your ONR to ONT. From there onwards u need to connect your own router.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, after you bang table they will change the configuration on your ONR to ONT. From there onwards u need to connect your own router.

So you were successful in convincing SingTel too to configure the ONR to ONT?

Recently a few people were able to do that, like tuntun and Repsol_2.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are u talking about bridged ONR? It can be done by ur own.

Yes. So you have done that and it works for you? There are conflicting reports in this forum about the success or failure of bridging by yourself.

Do you have SingTel TV or just plain internet? Are you using Huawei or Nokia ONR?

If you get SingTel to do it for you, it seems they can give more flexibilities, like one bridged port (ONT port) without vlan, plus three port for SingTel TV (no internet access), like in tuntun's case for Nokia ONR. And prior cases for mun_hoe and Downloader, for Huawei ONR.

Ref: Huawei ONR cases
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...inic-4/new-singtel-ont-hg8244h-5637111-7.html

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The following is from the expert miloaisdino.

seems like an omci configuration issue. will definitely differ between vendors eg huawei and nokia. some vendors map the incoming gem ports directly to the ethernet while others eg huawei allow the onr to intercept the incoming vlan and perform nat (which can then be disabled by yourself)

Thanks for the insight.

Haha, I need to learn all these new terminologies. I am a HW engineer myself in an industrial automation company and I do not know much about telecom stuff.

https://gonorthforge.com/blog-insight-into-gpon-omci-onu-management-and-control-interface/
OMCI (ONU management and control interface)

https://sites.google.com/site/amitsciscozone/home/gpon/gpon-vlans-and-gem-ports
GEM Port: A GPON Encapsulation Method (GEM) port is a virtual port for performing GEM encapsulation for transmitting frames between the OLT and the ONU/ONT. Each different traffic-class (TC) per UNI is assigned a different GEM Port. Each T-CONT consists of one or more GEM Ports.

Last edited:

BananaRain

Reaction score
Ya, as long as u can access ur huawei ONR as admin account, u can set it to whatever port u want, my one currently port3 port4 can be used for WAN IP. I didnt use singtel tv though, but saw those vlan settings inside. Should be no issue to set it when there is a need.

Yes. So you have done that and it works for you? There are conflicting reports in this forum about the success or failure of bridging by yourself.

Do you have SingTel TV or just plain internet? Are you using Huawei or Nokia ONR?

If you get SingTel to do it for you, it seems they can give more flexibilities, like one bridged port (ONT port) without vlan, plus three port for SingTel TV (no internet access), like in tuntun's case for Nokia ONR. And prior cases for mun_hoe and Downloader, for Huawei ONR.

BananaRain

Reaction score
U can google HG8244H, open the site with a name of “medium”

Can reference from it.
Idea is that instead of set all 4 ports into bridge mode. U may decouple 2 ports out from there and additionally create one new connection with bridge wan. Dont overlap the binding ports. Remember the TR_xxx is quite useful if u dont want ppl to change ur things. ;)

So by that u can have 2 with original settings to keep the rest work as per normal.

Just to share the idea for u to explore. Didnt share the details, dont want other ppl to anyhow follow blindly ltr create more trouble. (More user problem, more complains, more shits for technician to clear)

Sharing it because ppl here seems to have an impression of singtel onr can only support 3rd party router as AP. 🥴

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to share the idea for u to explore. Didnt share the details, dont want other ppl to anyhow follow blindly ltr create more trouble. (More user problem, more complains, more shits for technician to clear)

Sharing it because ppl here seems to have an impression of singtel onr can only support 3rd party router as AP. 🥴

Thanks for the sharing. Actually I know that the ONR can be configured into different configuration. But my impression is only SingTel can do it to match their back end settings.

Still for inexperienced users, it is better not to mess too much with the ONR.

And take note if you change the ONR configuration, you are on your own and you will not be supported by SingTel if you got issues.

BananaRain

Reaction score
Yup yup, agree with u.
Not recommended for ppl dont have real interest to explore. (At least can clear their own shits.)
If really messed up the settings, likely will incur charges when telco send ppl down for troubleshooting.

Thanks for the sharing. Actually I know that the ONR can be configured into different configuration. But my impression is only SingTel can do it to match their back end settings.

Still for inexperienced users, it is better not to mess too much with the ONR.

And take note if you change the ONR configuration, you are on your own and you will not be supported by SingTel if you got issues.

acme

Master Member
Reaction score
So you were successful in convincing SingTel too to configure the ONR to ONT?

Recently a few people were able to do that, like tuntun and Repsol_2.

yup. just tell them u want use your own router and not theirs. they will just tell u their support will end at the ONR :s22:

I tried to configure the ONR by myself but i cant log in haha. the username and password doesnt work lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.