Samsung Note 9 Screen Discoloration and Black Lines

Jest101

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone else encounter their Note series screen having discoloration and a lot of black lines?

I got mine after the march update, which cause overheating when playing games, and after which my screen become quite bad. After searching through the internet, seems a lot of user of note 9 gotten this issue. There is a telegram group https://t.me/samsungDisplayProblem which have some solution, but its not permanent.

I have email to Samsung, but they do not acknowledge the problem lies in their update, and say that it is wear and tear. And since its out of warranty, changing it will cost 350. Surprising, when i mention about my screen problem, they immediately say that the LCD and battery will be changed. So seems that it is a common problem they got in their service center.

Anyone have done their repair outside? Any reliable shop to recommend?

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone else encounter their Note series screen having discoloration and a lot of black lines?

I got mine after the march update, which cause overheating when playing games, and after which my screen become quite bad. After searching through the internet, seems a lot of user of note 9 gotten this issue. There is a telegram group https://t.me/samsungDisplayProblem which have some solution, but its not permanent.

I have email to Samsung, but they do not acknowledge the problem lies in their update, and say that it is wear and tear. And since its out of warranty, changing it will cost 350. Surprising, when i mention about my screen problem, they immediately say that the LCD and battery will be changed. So seems that it is a common problem they got in their service center.

Hello, for screen replacement issues, it will come with a new front panel assembly which consists of the screen, a new battery, adhesive to the assembly and an aluminum frame. Could you perhaps let us know what solutions have been tried out on your end?

One solution to root out OS issues might be to use ODIN to re-flash the Mar 2020 rom. Other experienced gurus will be better able to assist you if ROMs can be downgraded.

Last edited:

rabbit1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What a joke. So many complained and Samsung refuse to admit. Note 9 now, two years later will be Note 10 and S20.

Glariel

Banned
Reaction score
Mine got no issue
Still running android 9

Hi all,

Jest101

Reaction score
yeah, best if you don't update. seems the problem start to surface after the march 2020 update.

Jest101

Reaction score
from the telegram group, there are user that have tried to flash to other ROMs, do an update to the latest samsung update, hard reset the phone... all no use. seems the overheating affect the LCD physically. only way is to change the LCD. but there is also no guarantee that it will not happen again with future update

Hello, for screen replacement issues, it will come with a new front panel assembly which consists of the screen, a new battery, adhesive to the assembly and an aluminum frame. Could you perhaps let us know what solutions have been tried out on your end?

One solution to root out OS issues might be to use ODIN to re-flash the Mar 2020 rom. Other experienced gurus will be better able to assist you if ROMs can be downgraded.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
from the telegram group, there are user that have tried to flash to other ROMs, do an update to the latest samsung update, hard reset the phone... all no use. seems the overheating affect the LCD physically. only way is to change the LCD. but there is also no guarantee that it will not happen again with future update

Assuming it is related to this?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-9/help/samsung-note-9-display-discoloration-t4083389

Some users have suggested that OLED saver might be a solution.
Have you tired this out?

Jest101

Reaction score
yeah, am using OLED saver, but the black color is wash out, it adjust the brightness to 200%. some user have started to experience screen burn out from using the apps... so this is not a long term solution. even with the apps, still can see the black lines fadely

Assuming it is related to this?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-9/help/samsung-note-9-display-discoloration-t4083389

Some users have suggested that OLED saver might be a solution.
Have you tired this out?

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, am using OLED saver, but the black color is wash out, it adjust the brightness to 200%. some user have started to experience screen burn out from using the apps... so this is not a long term solution. even with the apps, still can see the black lines fadely

That is bad. Seems like a software issue that caused a hardware malfunction. :(
Hop ship soon?

Jest101

Reaction score
hope to get a cheaper repair outside so can use another 2 years... extend the ROI. after that hop ship... samsung price going up but quality seems going down

That is bad. Seems like a software issue that caused a hardware malfunction. :(
Hop ship soon?

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
hope to get a cheaper repair outside so can use another 2 years... extend the ROI. after that hop ship... samsung price going up but quality seems going down

Think the prices are around ~ the range.

Moreever, you get a new bezel, screen and battery when you do it at Samsung. Guaranteed for 3 months. It is questionable what mobile phone shops do - probably they pry the battery out of its adhesive frame and reapply tape.

However, if the problem is in fact firmware, then the issue may repeat itself.

rabbit1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

someone got it replaced for free after escalating it.
shld hoot samsung until they agree to repair it. i know there's a lot of Samsung fan boys here who say samsung dont owe anyone anything, but their software updates dmg the screen and they shld fix it foc.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-9-will-game-changer-samsung-5789566-488.html

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

buster37.is

Reaction score
Think the prices are around ~ the range.

Moreever, you get a new bezel, screen and battery when you do it at Samsung. Guaranteed for 3 months. It is questionable what mobile phone shops do - probably they pry the battery out of its adhesive frame and reapply tape.

However, if the problem is in fact firmware, then the issue may repeat itself.

there is no 3 mth warranty, i just check with the service center. It cost around 300-350 before diagnostic charges.

After the repair, its warranty for 1 mth against defects. I was advised that its not economical to repair.

Those carousell repair shop also charge ard 238 - 258 for the repairs. The trade in value is only $300 on singtelshop

I dun tink go bang table will work since its out of warranty. my nxt phone most prob wont be samsung

grpocz

Reaction score
Hais.....my phone just changed color instantly. I googled and found this thread. It appears the software update affected others as well. No wonder my phone felt hotter than normal but I thought it was because of all my apps which got more and more over time.

Is this permanent hardware damage or is the color change caused by software? Or is it software caused hardware to damage? =(

benqdell

Reaction score
maybe the whole idea of the firmware upgrade is to tempt you to switch to their note 20.

Glariel

Banned
Reaction score
Hais.....my phone just changed color instantly. I googled and found this thread. It appears the software update affected others as well. No wonder my phone felt hotter than normal but I thought it was because of all my apps which got more and more over time.

Is this permanent hardware damage or is the color change caused by software? Or is it software caused hardware to damage? =(

Maybe just flash back

soarskyhigh

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Same problem. Hardly used phone and after firmware update, phone would suddenly feel hot and the stupid green/distorted screen problem.
This definitely doesn't look like isolated user problem with so many reported cases. Boycotting Samsung if no satisfactory action taken.

Last edited:

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
there is no 3 mth warranty, i just check with the service center. It cost around 300-350 before diagnostic charges.

After the repair, its warranty for 1 mth against defects. I was advised that its not economical to repair.

Those carousell repair shop also charge ard 238 - 258 for the repairs. The trade in value is only $300 on singtelshop

I dun tink go bang table will work since its out of warranty. my nxt phone most prob wont be samsung

I might be wrong, perhaps back in my time it was 1 month.
Thanks for correcting this.

C_boliao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With the screen like this can trade in?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.