[HELP] Mitsubishi Starmex Air conditioners with mould and mildew problem.

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to remove the mould in mitsubishi starmex aircon?

my aircon is consider medium size or large size?

Any recommendations for cleaning service?

i checked astiquer, his pricing is $250/each for small and medium sized ac, $350 for big units. (honestly i feel is quite expensive but if can get the job done i am ok to pay)

mint_mitsubishi_electric_starmex_single_system_1_inverter_aircon_indooroutdoor_unit_1558756827_49a3f3b5_progressive.jpg

moldy%20back.jpg

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cleaning service means what? General servicing cleaning? Chemical wash cleaning? Chemical overhaul cleaning?

Excluding onsite transport and/or troubleshooting fees, market rate for chemical overhaul (with gas top-up) ranges from $150-180 depending on FCU BTU rating.

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am not familiar with the terminology for aircon servicing.

if i just want to remove mould, which service is more suitable?

Cleaning service means what? General servicing cleaning? Chemical wash cleaning? Chemical overhaul cleaning?

Excluding onsite transport and/or troubleshooting fees, market rate for chemical overhaul (with gas top-up) ranges from $150-180 depending on FCU BTU rating.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Normal servicing will not remove mold.

Take note when u ask for chemical wash, some companies do the easy way of putting a bucket below your aircon then spray the chemical & let it drip down. This not thorough cleaning & is messy.

They should remove the entire unit from the wall, disassemble & bring into toilet to spray chemicals & wash. Some call this chemical overhaul.

Suggest u tell him about your usage & ask for advice on how to prevent this. I have been using aircon for over 10 years & none of my units got mold or mildew.

It is suggested to set fan speed at highest & if u find it too cold, increase the temperature but never lower fan speed as this results in condensation. Am no expert but im guessing this is probably what is causing your problem.

Last edited:

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am not familiar with the terminology for aircon servicing.

if i just want to remove mould, which service is more suitable?

Get chemical overhaul, they need to remove the FCU entirely to clean it thoroughly. General and chemical cleaning will leave behind some mould and it grows back in an instant. Cost of chemical overhaul range from $90 - $150, recommended to do once every 1 - 2 year especially on frequently used aircon.

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you service your aircon ?

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to remove the mould in mitsubishi starmex aircon?

my aircon is consider medium size or large size?

Any recommendations for cleaning service?

i checked astiquer, his pricing is $250/each for small and medium sized ac, $350 for big units. (honestly i feel is quite expensive but if can get the job done i am ok to pay)
His cleaning method is very thorough. Will be a good job. But is the state of ur AC now and the surroundings thats rather worrying.

When was the last time you did servicing? Looking at this state is 1yr or more. If not it is likely ur lifestyle thats causing this issue. All AC will become like that in our tropical climate.

You likely turn on AC at night...then morning off. Inbetween the windows and doors to ur room is shut completely. No ventilation and the cool air gets trap at the indoor unit and become a mushroom factory.

But I dunno why even the surrounding wall areas are wet til is pealing. As the indoor unit is clogged up, exchange is poor and cool air returns to the outdoor unit, resulting in alot of condensation and therefore the wet walls?

Next thing will likely to happen is the drain will choke and AC is gonna leak.

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get chemical overhaul, they need to remove the FCU entirely to clean it thoroughly. General and chemical cleaning will leave behind some mould and it grows back in an instant. Cost of chemical overhaul range from $90 - $150, recommended to do once every 1 - 2 year especially on frequently used aircon.
The problem with this full overhaul / chemical wash is the dismantling. Not good for the copper pipes. After sometime sure leak.
Also chemical wash is corrosive...do it too often and too strong or failure to was off properly will be result in premature rust and coil damage.
So less dismantling better. However due to the limited tools most AC ppl have they take down will be easier....the faster ur AC spoilt the faster then can be back.
Also dismantling will mean the gas will be shut off before the pipes are disconnected at the indoor unit. Once disconnected air will enter the pipes. They are suppose to vacuum the pipes after reinstalling the unit...however almost all wont do it as the vacuum pump is heavy to carry. they will just use the gas to purge the system and hope all the air is out and top up gas to make up the difference.
So i never like take down.

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you are absolutely right

i on aircon at night then next morning wake up close window no vendilation leave the house.

so you went for astiquer before? ]

worth the $250 price tag?

His cleaning method is very thorough. Will be a good job. But is the state of ur AC now and the surroundings thats rather worrying.

When was the last time you did servicing? Looking at this state is 1yr or more. If not it is likely ur lifestyle thats causing this issue. All AC will become like that in our tropical climate.

You likely turn on AC at night...then morning off. Inbetween the windows and doors to ur room is shut completely. No ventilation and the cool air gets trap at the indoor unit and become a mushroom factory.

But I dunno why even the surrounding wall areas are wet til is pealing. As the indoor unit is clogged up, exchange is poor and cool air returns to the outdoor unit, resulting in alot of condensation and therefore the wet walls?

Next thing will likely to happen is the drain will choke and AC is gonna leak.

limpingsim98

Reaction score
The problem with this full overhaul / chemical wash is the dismantling. Not good for the copper pipes. After sometime sure leak.
Also chemical wash is corrosive...do it too often and too strong or failure to was off properly will be result in premature rust and coil damage.
So less dismantling better. However due to the limited tools most AC ppl have they take down will be easier....the faster ur AC spoilt the faster then can be back.
Also dismantling will mean the gas will be shut off before the pipes are disconnected at the indoor unit. Once disconnected air will enter the pipes. They are suppose to vacuum the pipes after reinstalling the unit...however almost all wont do it as the vacuum pump is heavy to carry. they will just use the gas to purge the system and hope all the air is out and top up gas to make up the difference.
So i never like take down.

You are right, usually those certified company will not do chemical wash, they took out the whole unit and wash with running water with soap.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.