MISSION LX2 performs better with rear port foam plug!

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
After using 2nd hand Mission LX2 without rear port foam plug for over a year, I got new ones this week with foam plugs finally.

Wow I realise when the foam plug is in but sticking out abit up to 5mm behind speaker, the bass was much cleaner and the whole sound signature became warmer, fuller and more balanced than previously.

LX2 has always had good holographic treble but I always felt the bass and mids were not transitioning as naturally as it should. Always felt something was wrong or missing.
Maybe it's my room affecting the sound but stay in 3rm hdb and my living room is similar to most people's.

But now having the foam plug installed and being able to adjust the rear port insertion depth really allowed me to tune the speaker to satisfaction. The dealer said I should remove foam plug and move the speaker but how many of us has so much flexibility of space at home? Right?

I am asking dealer to order the foam plugs for many who may have lost theirs.
Please give a shout out if you are a Mission LX2 owner thanks.

Also noticed the new LX2 came with new user manual that lists a new center speaker named LX-C Plus. Always felt the old LX-C could be improved. So hope dealer also brings the new version in.

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
After testing with port plugs for a day or two. I think without plugs sound better haha. But maybe it's because I calibrated the avr with the plugs on. So gonna wait for extra plugs to come so I can plug my rear speakers as well and recalibrate.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Calibrating without plug, AVR auto set crossover at 40hz. With plug, AVR auto set 60hz crossover. So I think calibrate with foam plug about 2.5cm inserted (or insert as little as possible yet securely) is more accurate to speaker specs. The result should make the speakers sound better once u finish calibration, remove foam plug and adjust crossover to 80-100hz.

This interesting result may be because my room got no special acoustic treatment absorbers or diffusers so the bass made louder by the room confuses the AVR calibration readings and the following AVR EQ settings.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Or you could just apply manual EQ after AVR EQ if you don't trust AVR EQ...

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yah heheh. Anyway I realise all my "discoveries" are probably totally subjective. And I find all the science u guys discuss quite beyond my capability to understand heheh. Anyway hope one day any of the more experienced and knowledgeable bros can visit my humble flat one day to offer their ear and advice heheh. As of this moment my speakers sound pretty good. Every day feels different though haha. Maybe something wrong with my ears or head... LOL!

Last edited:

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh yah heheh. Anyway I realise all my "discoveries" are probably totally subjective. And I find all the science u guys discuss quite beyond my capability to understand heheh. Anyway hope one day any of the more experienced and knowledgeable bros can visit my humble flat one day to offer their ear and advice heheh. As of this moment my speakers sound pretty good. Every day feels different though haha. Maybe something wrong with my ears or head... LOL!

Nothing really magical.
You just need to start like this guy, by understanding speakers are just magnets pushing the electric coil which pushes the speaker cone forwards and backwards rapidly and make air vibrate, thus sending 'sound waves' to you (turn on subtitles).

Then the AVR calibration is just using a microphone to record audio and make adjustments to the volume of specific parts of the frequencies. It is exactly the same technology as a singer singing into the microphone at a concert.

You already know crossovers. What's left is to spend / waste time changing the frequencies in the AVR system and listening to it. A lot of trial and error.

Since you're not an audio engineer, you just need to make sure that
a) the bass is not too overwhelming (way louder than every other frequencies)
b) voices are still clearly heard and understandable, and sound 'natural' (based on your own preference)
c) general audio don't sound too piercing and hurt your ears.

This page is pretty useful in identifying which parts of the frequency spectrum are known for, and best thing is it's written in an easy to understand manner, no big words:
https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum

Last edited:

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh wow thanks for sharing lxXXxl!

Note that there's one danger:
That as you understand more, you will realise that some brands are depending on your ignorance to upsell you stuff at higher prices.

You may one day wake up and exit the matrix. :s13:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Haha. Maybe only the rich have that problem. So hopefully I'm safe.

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Oh I went to listen to B&W 606 at funan. Really worlds apart. Bass was fast and full without subwoofer. Even the 607 smaller one also much bassier than my lx2 i think. And treble was outstanding although maybe abit too outstanding. Was driven by cambridge audio cxA61 or something. Costs over $1k though. My lx2 only under $300

Last edited:

Amon86

Reaction score
Oh I went to listen to B&W 606 at funan. Really worlds apart. Bass was fast and full without subwoofer. Even the 607 smaller one also much bassier than my lx2 i think. And treble was outstanding although maybe abit too outstanding. Was driven by cambridge audio cxA61 or something. Costs over $1k though. My lx2 only under $300

Should hear the Bowers and Wilkins 705S2 that one has decoupled tweeter only their series of decouple tweeters sounds the best....for bowers i think more on mids bah as i own a pair of cm8s2 roughly knows it's sound signature...in terms of treble focal still better

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
My cousin is the one looking. His budget I think about $1k per pair. I only just accompany heheh.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yah last time u told me I tried liao. More balanced sounding for sure. The b&w 606 got way more active tweeter. My cousin is noob so am sure the dynaudio sound is too mature and subtle for him. Wah I talk macham audiophile liao hahaha. Sorry but just abit of fun for me. Mean no harm nor am I pretending to be expert.

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
Yah last time u told me I tried liao. More balanced sounding for sure. The b&w 606 got way more active tweeter. My cousin is noob so am sure the dynaudio sound is too mature and subtle for him. Wah I talk macham audiophile liao hahaha. Sorry but just abit of fun for me. Mean no harm nor am I pretending to be expert.

If you want the fizz and boom type of show, try the HK Onyx 4... cheap cheap...

Amon86

Reaction score
My cousin is the one looking. His budget I think about $1k per pair. I only just accompany heheh.

I see.....can listen listen ma lol just don't get poison can already....i sometimes will listen to those higher range see what's there to go further up....so i roughly know what to aim for next time when i wanna upgrade....anyways there is a pair of 707 going for the $1400.00 eighteen 77

https://sg.carousell.com/p/bowers-wilkins-707-s2-rosenut-with-warranty-283100422/?t-id=ofjWwBIF8S_1592968598664&t-referrer_browse_type=search_results&t-referrer_request_id=QpzWLjAJvKrq_Xnf&t-referrer_search_query=bowers%20and%20wilkins%20707&t-referrer_sort_by=popular

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.