Can I use router that is given by other internet service provider?

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
If I am using M1, can I user router that is given by other internet providers like Singtel/Starhub...? Not sure if each company customize anything to the router or not, worry if it will compatible with other company or not. Thanks.

(Note: not asking about those routers bought in retail stores (I understand that those router from retail stores can use on any internet provider), I am asking about those routers bought/given by singtel/starhub/m1 and other internet service providers)

Last edited:

Sauron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No problem for those linksys and Asus ones. I have been using them as access points and switches.

2 Asus from M1, 1 linksys from SH

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub and M1 router are usually okie to use between either ISP.

Singtel are the only telco using a lot customization. Some singtel model does work with Starhub and M1.

Singtel is on VLAN therefore not all Starhub and M1 issue router support VLAN. So they might not be suitable to use main router. But we still can configure starhub/m1 router in AP mode.

Cryophoenix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most routers should be vendor agnostic, most impt is to check the brand of the router for the specifics.

iduncheckmail

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
only ST need VLAN config. But even then, most of the "operator free" routers can do VLAN config nowsadays, so all you got to do is google how to setup, thats all.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SingTel AC Elite/1900 and AC Plus cannot be used with other ISPs as the main router. It should work as an AP behind the main router.

Last edited:

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If Singtel ONR all the more cannot reuse w other isps or even casually swap w another singtel user.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If Singtel ONR all the more cannot reuse w other isps or even casually swap w another singtel user.

Singtel ONR belongs to SingTel and you have to return if you terminate the contract.

For the free AC Plus, that is yours and no need to return.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ISP/RSP provided router is basically the same as what you get from retail shop. Customization of firmware is usually on RG device to suit their specific requirement like VLAN trunking for Internet/VoIP/TV traffic.

AFAIK, ONT/ONR is basically locked (based on SN number) to subscriber's address thus can't be reuse anywhere else.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.