How to create a bootable usb drive for Macbook?

tszkitc

Reaction score
I downloaded the sierra dmg from App store. When i use install disk creator to create a bootable usb. It said it lacking installESD.dmg. may i know what is the solution?

boliao45

Reaction score
Check the file size of the Sierra installer, sometimes App Store only download the fast installer about couple of MB in size, and not the full installer ~5-6GB.
You need to have the full installer to create the bootable USB.
Unfortunately there’s no way to control what type of installer that gets downloaded from App Store even same link from Apple may yield different results on different computer.

I downloaded the sierra dmg from App store. When i use install disk creator to create a bootable usb. It said it lacking installESD.dmg. may i know what is the solution?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.