Irritating Blue Screen Issue

kelvin_99

Reaction score
I have an Intel i7 Dell Laptop that is coming to 7 years old running Win 10. It was upgraded from Win 8 few years back. I occasionally run into the blue screen problem which is not frequent but irritating enough esp. when I am in the midst of doing something urgent/important. I have regularly running Win 10 updates, but this problem still remain. The only problem I have with the laptop is the faulty battery which would not be an issue if I run the laptop from using the main power supply.

Few questions :

(1) Is the Blue Screen problem I have a hardware or software issue or both?

(2) Will it hep if I do a clean re-installation of Win 10? even if it means re-formatting my hard disk.

(3) What other options (besides buying new laptop) do I have to permanently remove this blue screen problem which I do not encounter in my other laptop?

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the bsod error? Without the error code we are unable to help you. Go to event viewer, you should be able to see the error message.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
What is the bsod error? Without the error code we are unable to help you. Go to event viewer, you should be able to see the error message.

Yep. That first.
Could you also advise if you upgraded or did a fresh install of Windows 10.
BSOD(s) can be due to a variety of factors. Improper or incompatible drivers are one of the main reasons for random BSOD. Notwithstanding it can be due to old age and failing hardware as well.

wyssn11

Reaction score
I have an Intel i7 Dell Laptop that is coming to 7 years old running Win 10. It was upgraded from Win 8 few years back. I occasionally run into the blue screen problem which is not frequent but irritating enough esp. when I am in the midst of doing something urgent/important. I have regularly running Win 10 updates, but this problem still remain. The only problem I have with the laptop is the faulty battery which would not be an issue if I run the laptop from using the main power supply.

Few questions :

(1) Is the Blue Screen problem I have a hardware or software issue or both?

(2) Will it hep if I do a clean re-installation of Win 10? even if it means re-formatting my hard disk.

(3) What other options (besides buying new laptop) do I have to permanently remove this blue screen problem which I do not encounter in my other laptop?

1. You can try to do a fresh new installation of Win10.

2. If possible Check the running temperature of the CPU running under heavy load. you have mentioned that it is a 7 year old notebook, thermal pastes do have a average life span of 3 to 5 years depending on usage and over time they degrade and dries up which affect thermal conductivity.

3.The notebook fan(s) maybe be faulty or clogged by dust. this will cause heat build up and instability.

4.Send the notebook for servicing to rid of dust or redo the thermal paste as required.

kelvin_99

Reaction score
Yep. That first.
Could you also advise if you upgraded or did a fresh install of Windows 10.
BSOD(s) can be due to a variety of factors. Improper or incompatible drivers are one of the main reasons for random BSOD. Notwithstanding it can be due to old age and failing hardware as well.

It was upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10

1st occasion Error message
- The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1

2nd occasion Error message
- The device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block

kelvin_99

Reaction score
Was recommended to run a full system diagnostic test. Downloaded the diagnostic test, ran it and flagged out these problems - battery (known problem) and hard drive. Was also "advised" to download an updated hard drive driver. So I suppose in worst case scenario if BSOD still recurs, I would have to change both battery and drive.

Thanks for all guidance and inputs!

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good job! Yeah Hard disk on bad sectors can be annoying at times. Just do a swap out. Change to an SSD will be the best bet. Or if you dont value speed then just get back a hdd.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Adding on: Get a SSD!
A WD blue or Seagate Barracuda will work miracles and bring the laptop up to speed!
Do it with a fresh install of windows to eliminate any chance of incompatible driver issues.

If adventurous, remove your heat sink and reapply it with quality thermal compounds (Noctua NH-T1/2 is sufficient). Existing should be hardened / crusted by now.

Good job! Yeah Hard disk on bad sectors can be annoying at times. Just do a swap out. Change to an SSD will be the best bet. Or if you dont value speed then just get back a hdd.

kelvin_99

Reaction score

I am running chkdsk c:/f /r /x to scan and repair. Not sure if it helps isolate the problem sectors, if any. I intend to retain the old HDD as speed is not really an issue for me if this can be fixed. It will be used as backup laptop anyway. If still does not help then I will get the SSD.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am running chkdsk c:/f /r /x to scan and repair. Not sure if it helps isolate the problem sectors, if any. I intend to retain the old HDD as speed is not really an issue for me if this can be fixed. It will be used as backup laptop anyway. If still does not help then I will get the SSD.

I dont think it will help though. Hope it didnt take much of your time. Else the easiest way is an ssd.

kelvin_99

Reaction score
I dont think it will help though. Hope it didnt take much of your time. Else the easiest way is an ssd.

I just let it run. Took few hours. I guess no harm giving one last try to solve this BSOD problem before going ahead to replace the HDD.

kelvin_99

Reaction score
Adding on: Get a SSD!
A WD blue or Seagate Barracuda will work miracles and bring the laptop up to speed!
Do it with a fresh install of windows to eliminate any chance of incompatible driver issues.

If adventurous, remove your heat sink and reapply it with quality thermal compounds (Noctua NH-T1/2 is sufficient). Existing should be hardened / crusted by now.

Getting the SSD would be last option if everything else fails. I probably will give this laptop max another 2 years even if I replaced the SSD. So probably would not change any other thing else.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Though > 7 years old, still looks "good" except for battery and HDD is which should be inexpensive to replace. So no good reason really to junk it ... :)

Yeah definitely, no reason to dump it... with SSD plus up the RAM to at least 8GB or higher, it will have a new lease of life... I think can just one shot replace both since both also need to open up the laptop... I usually use a laptop repair shop on fourth floor SLS... his charges are reasonable and he's reliable...

kelvin_99

Reaction score
Yeah definitely, no reason to dump it... with SSD plus up the RAM to at least 8GB or higher, it will have a new lease of life... I think can just one shot replace both since both also need to open up the laptop... I usually use a laptop repair shop on fourth floor SLS... his charges are reasonable and he's reliable...

Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely consider that option given that my hands-on skills when it comes to assembling/disassembling electronic items sucks. Can mentioned/PM name of shop? :)

sheva07

Reaction score
BSOD most of it caused by hardware issue instead of software, as u mention earlier it could be hdd issue

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely consider that option given that my hands-on skills when it comes to assembling/disassembling electronic items sucks. Can mentioned/PM name of shop? :)

I usually use #04-57 PC Clinic Solutions Pte Ltd. Ask for Kenneth. I've replaced 2 brand new laptop's HDD with SSD before, replaced a laptop keyboard, added RAM to quite a few other brand new laptops (bought for others), repaired my Asus UX305F laptop, got him to troubleshoot my desktop before, then got him to rebuild my desktop and he was willing to keep the parts I wanted, and just top up the rest of the parts. No job is too small so far. He's very knowledgeable and efficient. Turnaround time is usually quick too. I usually just hang around and wait for his call.

kelvin_99

Reaction score
I usually use #04-57 PC Clinic Solutions Pte Ltd. Ask for Kenneth. I've replaced 2 brand new laptop's HDD with SSD before, replaced a laptop keyboard, added RAM to quite a few other brand new laptops (bought for others), repaired my Asus UX305F laptop, got him to troubleshoot my desktop before, then got him to rebuild my desktop and he was willing to keep the parts I wanted, and just top up the rest of the parts. No job is too small so far. He's very knowledgeable and efficient. Turnaround time is usually quick too. I usually just hang around and wait for his call.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.