Asus Zenwifi AX XT8 Guest Network woes

mask2011

Reaction score
So I was messing about with my Asus ZenWifi AX XT8 and noticed that when I create a Guest Network (especially noticeable on 5.0Ghz, but also apparent on 2.4Ghz), the connection of devices that are in the vicinity of the Satellite node is always significantly weaker. Which made me dig a bit more and it felt as if the Satellite nodes were not broadcasting the Guest Networks I created. So, I reached out to Asus support (a horribly slow and inefficient experience) and this is what they had to say:

"We understand the concern and in regards to the enquiry, we would like to kindly inform that node does not broadcast guest network, whereas only main router can able to broadcast it accordingly."

Is this a common issue across mesh wifi routers and is this actually the case on Asus Zenwifi or is there something going on in my configuration and is Asus support providing incorrect information?

I mean, if I have a scenario of a multi-story house (less applicably locally, but more of an issues overseas) where the main OTP point and modem are in the basement and my living room and bedrooms were to be on the third floor, it would mean that even though you setup multiple mesh satellite nodes, that guests would not be able to connect to your guest network as the nodes dont broadcast the guest wifi beyond the main node. And that's just one example.

Thanks for the guidance!

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, it has always been this way at least for AiMesh. Not sure about other brands guest network design.

mask2011

Reaction score
As far as I know, it has always been this way at least for AiMesh. Not sure about other brands guest network design.

That sucks quite badly :( I was planning to use the guest network as a way to separate my IOT (smart devices) from the rest of my network, but now the devices near my satellite node are not able to access the guest network consistently.

Also tested this with Linksys Velop, no such thing.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That sucks quite badly :( I was planning to use the guest network as a way to separate my IOT (smart devices) from the rest of my network, but now the devices near my satellite node are not able to access the guest network consistently.

Also tested this with Linksys Velop, no such thing.

This has been discussed recently.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...h-solution-working-guest-network-6296702.html

Looks like a strange Asus AIMesh limitation. Even my cheap S$99 per pair TP-Link Deco M4 works in this aspect.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

So I was messing about with my Asus ZenWifi AX XT8 and noticed that when I create a Guest Network (especially noticeable on 5.0Ghz, but also apparent on 2.4Ghz), the connection of devices that are in the vicinity of the Satellite node is always significantly weaker. Which made me dig a bit more and it felt as if the Satellite nodes were not broadcasting the Guest Networks I created. So, I reached out to Asus support (a horribly slow and inefficient experience) and this is what they had to say:

"We understand the concern and in regards to the enquiry, we would like to kindly inform that node does not broadcast guest network, whereas only main router can able to broadcast it accordingly."

Is this a common issue across mesh wifi routers and is this actually the case on Asus Zenwifi or is there something going on in my configuration and is Asus support providing incorrect information?

I mean, if I have a scenario of a multi-story house (less applicably locally, but more of an issues overseas) where the main OTP point and modem are in the basement and my living room and bedrooms were to be on the third floor, it would mean that even though you setup multiple mesh satellite nodes, that guests would not be able to connect to your guest network as the nodes dont broadcast the guest wifi beyond the main node. And that's just one example.

Thanks for the guidance!

You can allow your guests to use the main wifi but enable the AP Isolation in this case. Anyway guests wont't be staying long in your house unless they are your tenants.

Alternatively, set up 2 routers. The 2nd router use only for guests and tenants but don't connect them to your house devices

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't mind can help try something ? See if the device on guest WiFi can access your internal network.

I tried already as shown in that thread. Guest WiFi devices can not access my internal network.

mask2011

Reaction score
You can allow your guests to use the main wifi but enable the AP Isolation in this case. Anyway guests wont't be staying long in your house unless they are your tenants.

Alternatively, set up 2 routers. The 2nd router use only for guests and tenants but don't connect them to your house devices

Actually, my intention is not for guests really. Its for my IOT devices, like Xiaomi stuff and was thinking a separate one for my PS4, Switch, etc. They dont need access to the same network. That way at least my fileserver and all are secure and separate from the main network.

Problem is, if some of those IOT devices are in the bedroom, far away from the main node, they can hardly get any reception.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, my intention is not for guests really. Its for my IOT devices, like Xiaomi stuff and was thinking a separate one for my PS4, Switch, etc. They dont need access to the same network. That way at least my fileserver and all are secure and separate from the main network.

Problem is, if some of those IOT devices are in the bedroom, far away from the main node, they can hardly get any reception.

Use a 2nd router for IoT devices only also can

mask2011

Reaction score
Ok so it looks like there may be a solution on the horizon for us Asus users. Asus support (as reached via the Feedback option in the app, responded as follows:

This is in our release plan and the beta FW is in test now.
Please give us more time.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.