View Single Post
Old 29-06-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
davidktw
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi,

I am a getting a new laptop and exploring the possibility of abstracting my home desktop from my hardware to allow "lift and shift" to any hardware including use of AWS in future. The motivation is really my laziness to reinstall all my programs and files everytime I upgrade my machine.

I am looking to install either VMWare Workstation Player or VirtualBox but at this point here VMWare seems to be the better option

Desktop running on Win 10 Home.
To run Workstation Player
VM 1: MacOS
VM 2: Win10

Scenario 1:
Change laptop means I just simply snapshot and install on new PC with Win 10 and Workstation installed?

Scenario 2:
Backing up simply means taking snapshots?

I understand snapshot is only available in Workstation Pro. Likely I will purchase it when I need to upgrade in future.

I'm open to alternative setups
Generally virtual machines setup pertaining to the way you wanted it wouldn't work especially well for you. The main issue is GPU performance will be subpar due to lack of PCI/GPU passthrough offered for most Type 2 hypervisors.

VMWare Workstation and VirtualBox are Type 2 hypervisors. You may read up on the hypervisors types differences here @ https://searchservervirtualization.t...-2-hypervisors

First of all, under Apple EULA, you are not suppose to run Apple Mac OS X on top of non-apple products. Next even if you do virtualise Mac OS X on Apple products, the performance is subpar because Mac OS X on Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion doesn't offer good graphical performance. Mac OS X will not work OTTB on VMWare Workstation on Windows host without a unsanctioned patch to VMWare Workstation. I could be mistaken, but Mac OS X will not work on VMWare Player. If what you are pursuing is stability and ease, then Mac OS X will be best on Apple products.

Windows 10 is fine as virtual machine, but don't expect any graphical performance to be top notch without at least GPU passthrough. Even GPU passthrough will have slight performance degradation, but acceptable if you are trying to achieve consolidated computing experience.

In your case, GPU/PCI passthrough is best achieved using VMWare ESXi. However VMWare ESXi is a baremetal Type 1 hypervisor, meaning you will not boot up your laptop into a working desktop environment. Type 1 hypervisor are designed more for servers in headless server environments. Even Type 1 Hyper-V are mostly to function as a headless setup, despite Windows Server isn't exactly GUI-less.

So far, my experience with virtualise environments on both Windows Server and Mac OS X, anything not dependent on PCI/GPU is fine. Graphical performance is heavyweight, so any good modern desktop experience will always feel subpar with caveats.

Both your scenarios are common and nothing new, but just be noted on what you are missing out in the process of pursuing such setup.
davidktw is offline   Reply With Quote