View Single Post
Old 30-06-2020, 03:29 AM   #6
davidktw
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yea realize what Iím trying to do is more enterprise grade similar to using vsphere.

Was thinking since workstation works with vsphere which would be extensible with VMware cloud on AWS allowing me to lift and shift easily, vdi or even burst to aws if necessary.

Certainly sounds like a fun experiment. Thx again for your tots on the matter bro.
If that is what you wanted to do, by all means, venture.

Just a note. You can't image Windows 10 Home edition in AWS. M$ licensing issue. In fact I was under the impression only Windows Server is allowed, but it would seems https://gist.github.com/peterforgacs...07b2283cd31777 indicate otherwise, still feel to find out more on it.

AWS Support Server Migration Service if you need. In any case, all these are one-way ticket. It will be a separate server in the cloud. IMHO the intention for such solution are more for migration and disaster recovery, rather than trying to be flexible. Of course, how you decide to make it cost effective for you is up to you.

Another will be https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/vm-import/. Tried this before in the past, but it ain't hassle free. You will always need to deal with drivers issues since AWS instances are not going to be the same as what you using locally.

Using your first post as a gauge, I somehow feel the objective has deviated, not unless that is what you intended. Throwing in Vsphere wouldn't be just a single system architecture. You will be dealing with at least one ESXi bare metal server, as well the Vsphere vCenter separate system. My venture in the past is merely just ESXi alone, and that serve my purpose for awhile.

Venture apart, I think you will need to give some thoughts on what you are trying to achieve. The initiate idea of just a laptop running VMware Workstation, doesn't have Vsphere involved. The solution between VMware Workstation and Vsphere (with ESXi) is for development between environments made possible. If you start out with your VM guests running in your workstation, it would seems weird to deploy the guests into ESXi unless you don't intend for the guest to continue running in your laptop. vSphere migration into AWS is yet another level.

If you are at the stage of exploring using a virtual guest to allow for easy migration from one physical machine to another, without resorting to reinstallation of the applications, all the discussion before wouldn't be an ideal fit. It's like using an axe to kill a chicken.
davidktw is offline   Reply With Quote