Running LAN for my PCs in different rooms

laclah

Reaction score
Hi, I’m staying in a 4-room hdb. I have my ONT installed at the entrance of my flat where the fibre point is. I have converted all land lines to ethernet LAN for all rooms and these Ethernet ports were all in the same place as the ONT.
I have the ONT connected to one of the Ethernet port which was linked to my living room to where my router is.
Now I have a problem to run all my PCs via LAN which are located in the rooms because my router is in the living room and is quite far away from the converted LAN ports. I wanted to place my router in the living room is for better wifi coverage compared to placing it at the entrance of my home. I also understand that only one LAN port on my ONT is working. What options do I have so that I can make use of those converted LAN ports? Looking for cheap solutions.
- Can I buy a RJ45 LAN splitter to connect ONT to router and 1 PC using LAN? (This I believe can only use one of the LAN port) and does splitter limit internet bandwidth?
- Or Can I buy a gigabit switch?
- Or I need to buy another router?
Please advise me as I’m not good in networking. Thanks.

giraffey

Reaction score
Hi, I’m staying in a 4-room hdb. I have my ONT installed at the entrance of my flat where the fibre point is. I have converted all land lines to ethernet LAN for all rooms and these Ethernet ports were all in the same place as the ONT.
I have the ONT connected to one of the Ethernet port which was linked to my living room to where my router is.
Now I have a problem to run all my PCs via LAN which are located in the rooms because my router is in the living room and is quite far away from the converted LAN ports. I wanted to place my router in the living room is for better wifi coverage compared to placing it at the entrance of my home. I also understand that only one LAN port on my ONT is working. What options do I have so that I can make use of those converted LAN ports? Looking for cheap solutions.
- Can I buy a RJ45 LAN splitter to connect ONT to router and 1 PC using LAN? (This I believe can only use one of the LAN port) and does splitter limit internet bandwidth?
- Or Can I buy a gigabit switch?
- Or I need to buy another router?
Please advise me as I’m not good in networking. Thanks.

Get another router and place it beside the ONT (depending on the specs of your current router, you can also move the existing router to the ONT area, and get a better wireless router/AP unit to improve your wifi). From the router (if there is insufficient ports on the router, get a switch to expand), it connects to all the patch panel that goes to all the LAN points.

laclah

Reaction score
I’m using Asus AC68U router. Is getting another router the cheapest available options? If I’m getting another better router, do I shift the old router to the ONT and connect all the LAN ports to this old router and also connect the new router to this old router via LAN? Or I set the new router as AP? Will the new better router limit its capability because it is connected to a lower end router?

Last edited:

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
I’m using Asus AC68U router. Is getting another router the cheapest available options? If I’m getting another better router, do I shift the old router to the ONT and connect all the LAN ports to this old router and also connect the new router to this old router via LAN? Or I set the new router as AP? Will the new better router limit its capability because it is connected to a lower end router?

The router with the best wifi spec should stay at AP mode (living room)

Than the router with lowest wifi spec will goes into the connecting all the LAN port.

So depends how you wanna do it.

You can put the asus to connect lan and get a xiaomi wifi6 as AP.

Question is how much u wanna spend.

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
How did you convert the tel line to lan ports?

most telephone lines are daisy chain in HDB.

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If the router is to act as AP. Than would suggest you get a high spec wifi router. Maybe xiaomi AC3600.

1. As long as the router WAN/LAN is 1gbps
2. The router that would act as AP has a good wifi spec and is configure as AP mode.

Your wifi speed be ok.

3. Get another asus router and configure AImesh so both routers wireless can work together.

giraffey

Reaction score
How did you convert the tel line to lan ports?

most telephone lines are daisy chain in HDB.

In the newer HDB flats (think around 10 years or younger), RJ45 cables are laid as telephone points, which makes the conversion straight forward. These cables are individually connected from the room's point to a DB Box/Central area.

It is also possible to use the telephone line (RJ11) as LAN. But, it would be much slower.

You can also consider using MOCA (using the Coaxial points / "cable tv points") as an alternative.

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
In the newer HDB flats (think around 10 years or younger), RJ45 cables are laid as telephone points, which makes the conversion straight forward. These cables are individually connected from the room's point to a DB Box/Central area.

It is also possible to use the telephone line (RJ11) as LAN. But, it would be much slower.

You can also consider using MOCA (using the Coaxial points / "cable tv points") as an alternative.

Thanks for being helpful. i’m asking TS actually. yes have to lay one by one.

I’m on MoCA

schlep

Reaction score
I'm looking for a contact that can do LAN cable wiring for my FIL old massionate flat. Cable must run from bedroom to the living room and use existing trunking if possible.

I saw one post before of a Malay abang contact who was recommended by a few bros in this forum. Anyway, any other good recommendations are welcomed.

SnorlaxGorGor

Reaction score
I'm looking for a contact that can do LAN cable wiring for my FIL old massionate flat. Cable must run from bedroom to the living room and use existing trunking if possible.

I saw one post before of a Malay abang contact who was recommended by a few bros in this forum. Anyway, any other good recommendations are welcomed.

Can share the contact too? Thank you

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score

if purely trunking, it’s very easy can DIY.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.