Skype issues

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have Skype installed on my iPhone & no issues with it. Last night I tried installing Skype on my MBP and its wonky. Downloaded from https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/

I'm running Catalina 10.15.5 and Skype 8.61.0.95 which at time of this writing are the latest versions. Have tried uninstalling Skype with App Cleaner and reinstalling again but its the same.

I had Skype installed many years (On Mavericks or Mountain Lion, I forget) back so I know how its supposed to look like. From the screen shots below you can see that there is no app window at all for Skype.

Its not even minimised, there is just no window. But if you look at the top of the screen, it does show Skype although most options are greyed out.

I have an Office 365 personal account if that makes any difference. Anyone else with this problem or knows how to solve it? TIA.

Proximus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks but I'm a Mac user and Microsoft Store is for Windows.

Just wondering if you have grant permissions to Skype in Catalina?

I have checked on my macbook and indeed your screenshots are differretn from mine. Under Skype, you should see Preferences and Check for Updates.

yiwei

Reaction score
Try resetting the skype settings by deleting the folder in

User/ur id/library/application support/microsoft/skype for desktop

Then reinstall skype to see if it works?

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try resetting the skype settings by deleting the folder in

User/ur id/library/application support/microsoft/skype for desktop

Then reinstall skype to see if it works?

Believe it or not skype is not even in there. Only thing under microsoft is silverlight.

yiwei

Reaction score
Believe it or not skype is not even in there. Only thing under microsoft is silverlight.

That's weird, means Skype is not properly installed.
Just to confirm, you checked your library folder and not the system library folder right?

I guess you have to try an older version of Skype as szeli has suggested.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ah must be e antivirus causing issues.
Still doesn't work. Thanks but screw it lah I'll just use Zoom.

Clearly Microsoft is pushing Teams and no longer gives a crap about Skype esp for Mac.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.