Soundbar discussion Thread V [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsQ

Master Member
Reaction score
1st of all thks all for the suggestion.

Ok, a update of what I did to the LG Soundbar to get DTS/Atmos and still failed :look:

1) I chk my Netflix a/c it is UltraHD so it is with 5.1 ability (If the movie title supports). I tried all the titles recommended in this forum by members here.
2) I also realized, when I switch to PCM on TV, the 5.1 option is gone in Netflix language option. When I switch to Pass-through, the 5.1 audio option will come back in Netflix. So I assume the TV and the built in Netflix app is 5.1 certified?
2) I try loading a DTS / Dolby Digital certified DVD into my BR player (I don't hv any BR Disc), it still does not detect DTS/Atmos in the sound bar.
3) The only thing it detect and display is "Dolby Audio". The instruction book says that if DTS/Atmos signal is detected, the sound bar won't allow me to change the sound mode. So far I always can change sound mode, so I am not getting this right still.

Is it HDMI cable fault? TV (TCL P8S) issue? I really try all means to find the reason but still cannot find.

Anyone have any suggestion for me to get my sound bar to detect a DTS/Atmos?

moron+genius

Reaction score
From TV set it to pass thru n play a known video file wif DD+ Atmos 2 test. Use a premium certified HDMI cable, I used iogear bought from challenger. Dun tink dvd has atmos sound track, so many sure u haf right content to test. Else u r running in circles.
1st of all thks all for the suggestion.

Ok, a update of what I did to the LG Soundbar to get DTS/Atmos and still failed :look:

1) I chk my Netflix a/c it is UltraHD so it is with 5.1 ability (If the movie title supports). I tried all the titles recommended in this forum by members here.
2) I also realized, when I switch to PCM on TV, the 5.1 option is gone in Netflix language option. When I switch to Pass-through, the 5.1 audio option will come back in Netflix. So I assume the TV and the built in Netflix app is 5.1 certified?
2) I try loading a DTS / Dolby Digital certified DVD into my BR player (I don't hv any BR Disc), it still does not detect DTS/Atmos in the sound bar.
3) The only thing it detect and display is "Dolby Audio". The instruction book says that if DTS/Atmos signal is detected, the sound bar won't allow me to change the sound mode. So far I always can change sound mode, so I am not getting this right still.

Is it HDMI cable fault? TV (TCL P8S) issue? I really try all means to find the reason but still cannot find.

Anyone have any suggestion for me to get my sound bar to detect a DTS/Atmos?

Last edited:

TsQ

Master Member
Reaction score
From TV set it to pass thru n play a known video file wif DD+ Atmos 2 test. Use a premium certified HDMI cable, I used iogear bought from challenger. Dun tink dvd has atmos sound track, so many sure u haf right content to test. Else u r running in circles.

So far few things i can suspect why I failed to get DTS/Atmos:

1) The TCL TV and app don't support it, but I read online so far it never suggests so, i am quite sure that is not the cause.

2) The HDMI cable I use is not anything fancy. It's a cable that came with my Nintendo Classic console. Maybe that's the culprit?

X18

Master Member
Reaction score
So far few things i can suspect why I failed to get DTS/Atmos:

1) The TCL TV and app don't support it, but I read online so far it never suggests so, i am quite sure that is not the cause.

2) The HDMI cable I use is not anything fancy. It's a cable that came with my Nintendo Classic console. Maybe that's the culprit?

TCL P8S does not support Dolby Atmos. Only C8 and some newer series (eg. C715/815) support Dolby Atmos.

https://www.tcl.com/hk/en/products.allProducts.html

TsQ

Master Member
Reaction score
TCL P8S does not support Dolby Atmos. Only C8 and some newer series (eg. C715/815) support Dolby Atmos.

https://www.tcl.com/hk/en/products.allProducts.html

Oh is it? ... but last time I saw in AU website got say hv leh

https://www.tcl.com/au/en/products/p8s/65P8S.html (Under Spec then Audio)

From another TCL Site:

Audio
Speaker Type: Integrated speakers (Bottom side)
Audio Power Output(THD=7%) : 2×10W
Dolby Decoder : MS12
DTS : DTS Decode (DTS HD, DTS express 5.1), DTS Premium Sound/DTS Studio Sound, On/Off, Remote control Voice Promp

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
Oh is it? ... but last time I saw in AU website got say hv leh

https://www.tcl.com/au/en/products/p8s/65P8S.html (Under Spec then Audio)

From another TCL Site:

Audio
Speaker Type: Integrated speakers (Bottom side)
Audio Power Output(THD=7%) : 2×10W
Dolby Decoder : MS12
DTS : DTS Decode (DTS HD, DTS express 5.1), DTS Premium Sound/DTS Studio Sound, On/Off, Remote control Voice Promp

There's no evidence of Atmos support..

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Yup after getting the 55 inch tv for my study table there is just no space on the sides for bookshelves...

I was looking for a bar that is the biggest I can squeeze below my tv. St5000 is the best cuz it support Atmos.

55 inch for study table! How far you sit siah...

kenzie

Reaction score
Will you buy a brand new LG SL8Y or a used Sonos Playbar? Both around same price

Last edited:

TsQ

Master Member
Reaction score
How does that help you get Atmos bro?

If TV no Atmos pass-through then nevermind, if can detect DTS x virtual also good enough.

I am just trying to get either a DTS or Atmos signal in and test it out. Just something I curious why so far still cannot and want to pin down the cause of what I am missing.

Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Yamaha YAS 209, their DTS Virtual:X is automatically applied when i press on the SURROUND button on remote? Regardless of whether the source has it or not?

X18

Master Member
Reaction score
If TV no Atmos pass-through then nevermind, if can detect DTS x virtual also good enough.

I am just trying to get either a DTS or Atmos signal in and test it out. Just something I curious why so far still cannot and want to pin down the cause of what I am missing.

Streaming services such as Netflix does not support DTS or DTS Virtual:X, therefore there will not be any DTS/DTS Virtual:X signals from the Netflix titles.

Anyway DTS Virtual:X is a post-processing technology that simulate a three-dimensional surround sound experience through a soundbar or standard 5.1 speaker system, regardless of the standard of the audio source. So technically you could enable DTS Virtual:X feature on your soundbar with any sources.

X18

Master Member
Reaction score
For Yamaha YAS 209, their DTS Virtual:X is automatically applied when i press on the SURROUND button on remote? Regardless of whether the source has it or not?

I believe you are referring to the 3D surround button on the remote.

For Yamaha YAS 209, there are two types of surround: standard surround and 3D surround (DTS Virtual:X). Standard surround is enabled by default for all modes except stereo (the surround LED on the soundbar glows in white).

When you press the 3D surround button, it would enabled the DTS Virtual:X surround (surround LED on the soundbar glows in blue).

Personally I tried both modes on my YAS-108 and I prefer the standard surround.

petetherock

Reaction score
Streaming services such as Netflix does not support DTS or DTS Virtual:X, therefore there will not be any DTS/DTS Virtual:X signals from the Netflix titles.

Anyway DTS Virtual:X is a post-processing technology that simulate a three-dimensional surround sound experience through a soundbar or standard 5.1 speaker system, regardless of the standard of the audio source. So technically you could enable DTS Virtual:X feature on your soundbar with any sources.
Yep
In essence
It gives some reverbs and is quite unlike the most sophisticated ones which have auto eq
Best to think of the budget sets as a means to give better voice reproduction and bass

TsQ

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a quick review of the LG SL8YG , since now I collected the SPK-8 rear speakers to test it.

As some saw, I had a problem getting the SB to display DTS/DD on the small LCD but that's likely due to the source.

I am not new into HT stuff but I retired from this hobby 10 yrs ago, so I no more keeping up what is the latest. I still have my 7.1 system in a dedicated HT room with an aging (but still good) setup.

This Sound Bar (SB) is 2019 launched, and 2020 model is out already so it is going for quite a discounted price of ard $600-639 with a free rear wireless speaker SPK-8. Here are the pro & con:

Pro:
-Even without getting to decode DTS/Atmos, the build-in processor is able to separate the channels quite well btw the RL and C channel. The virtual surround provides a wrap-around sound that is quite a cinematic feel.
-The subwoofer is good enough to cover all the low end in movies.
-3.1 really helps to separate out the dialogue. SB is ard 1 meter long so it is still able to split out the RL and C channel well enough even at 3.5m away.
-It does give a good front sound stage when in movie mode, just like with many other SB
-Add in the SPK-8 rear speakers and you are pretty well equipped with a distinct rear effect that worked pretty good even without the DTS/Atmos being activated. I think with the rear speaker kit it really wins hand down to any 2.1 or 3.1 system of such price range.
-Google Assistance is useful for me at least as I have some lights under the google home ecosystem. Playing Spotify without lifting a finger is always nice
-For Music listening it is ofcos not an audiophile type to compare, but very able to fill your living room. My living room is quite big so it should work for most people.
-Super solid build. All aluminum top for the SB, just nice to look and touch.

Cons:
-Wireless sub connection is easily disrupted. I had to move away from my DECT phone away as it sits btw the SB and subwoofer. I also need to move the sub out from having fewer layers of anything blocking the line of sight between the SB and woofer. I am not sure this issue is the same with other wireless subwoofer or not.
-Subwoofer sound is not well-tuned to pair with the SB when at music mode. So this brings me to the next point below.
-For music listening, best is to set to "Standard" mode, but the subwoofer is too strong and sounded too separated away when set at the same level that is ideal for movie watching (which I set at 0). So I need to adj subwoofer down to -5 when listening to the music. So a bit more adj to do but not hard.

Overall, no regrets for this price point. But check ur room setting if hv routers or DECT phone nearby or not... also if your sub is at a clearer line of sight to the SB or not. If all ok then this SB can consider.

TsQ

Master Member
Reaction score

Ok, understand. So my guess is just that my SB does not display and allows u to activate DTS/Atmos unless they get an actual signal that qualifies for it. As this is what is mentioned in the manual book. Maybe I go get a BR Disc and try one day to see if it will detect it or not.

wind30

Reaction score
I have having a weird issue on my Sony ST5000 sound bar.

The connection is ST5000 to Q80R TV using HDMI arc. There is also a hdmi cable from PC to Q80R tv and another cable (DVI to hdmi) from PC to ST5000 to pass audio signal seperately as the PC does not recognize the TV as 5.1/Atmos capable.

If I only have one cable from PC to TV, the PC will just pass 2 channel audio.

After I connect the PC to Soundbar directly, it recognize the soundbar as 7.1 capable and is able to pass 5.1 surround sound with the windows Netflix app.

The weird things is trying to pass the Atmos audio from the netflix app. I downloaded the dolby access app but I unable to select the "dolby atmos for home theatre" under spatial sound. The option is there but when I select it, it always revert back to the previous setting.

The weird thing is I got it working for like one time yesterday, and I managed to see the Atmos showing on my soundbar and the setting can be chosen.

But today, it does not work. Is there a license checker thing for "atmos"? I run vpn on my PC but I turned it off and there is no difference. Do we have to buy a license for Atmos on PC? I can successfully configure the Atmos for home theatre on the access app but still I cannot enable atmos.

I can also test the various channels successfully in speaker setup at the sound control panel when I select Dolby Atmos, all the channels passed through sound. but the setting does not stick.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.