B550m Mortar Wifi ram slot 3&4 not working

redsoulflame

Reaction score
I have a 5days old B550 mortar.
Yesterday after getting both NVMe SSD and mechanical drive from Amazon, I added them in 1 by 1. SSD first with fresh install of windows. Ram was working fine. After that I shut down and added in the HDD and do some cable management at the back of my case.
Switch it back on and my rgb Rams light up but monitor won't turn on. Did some troubleshoot and found that ram slot 3 and 4 are not working.

Any idea what could cause it and any ready method to fix it? Take note I was moving my case between the floor and my table so psu is unplugged when I was working on it.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All 4 slots populated ?
Test 1 stick at a time first, then the slots.

hafiz116

Reaction score
If you are only using a pair of RAM sticks and you have 4 slots you should be mounting them in the even or odd slots.

Usually slots 2 & 4 are preferred as they are a little further away from the CPU.

redsoulflame

Reaction score
Using 2x8gb stick. The 2 slot closest to CPU is not working. Are those 3 and 4 or 1 and 2?

I tested the ram stick 1 by 1 followed by ram slot 1 by 1. Conclusion is my rams are fine, the 2 slot closest to CPU is not working.

Originally I was using it on the 2nd slot and 4th slot away from CPU as indicated on the motherboard manual

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If your MB has color pairs follow the colours.
Different MB maker arrange their DIMM slots in different ways, so it's best to check your motherboard manual to see what it recommends.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Try one piece on slot 2. If slot 2 is not working for single stick, you can bring your mobo down to the distro to let them have a look.

By right, single memory should work on slot 2.

Closest to cpu is slot 1. Furthest away is slot 4.

hafiz116

Reaction score
Using 2x8gb stick. The 2 slot closest to CPU is not working. Are those 3 and 4 or 1 and 2?

I tested the ram stick 1 by 1 followed by ram slot 1 by 1. Conclusion is my rams are fine, the 2 slot closest to CPU is not working.

Originally I was using it on the 2nd slot and 4th slot away from CPU as indicated on the motherboard manual

The RAM slots are counted from the one closest to the CPU. So closest is 1 going outwards. I would plug in the sticks into slot 2 and 4 and retest.

Also go into the bios and consider resetting all settings to default in case anything has changed in the RAM settings causing you problems. Test using default settings first. Next I would enable XMP as that should set the recommended settings for your RAM.

When you get a chance update your profile with your PC specs so its easier to help rather than having to scroll down to the original thread.

Last edited:

redsoulflame

Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs.

So in conclusion, my ram slot 1 and 2 are not working(Title wrong). I was on slot 2 and 4 with xmp enabled for 5days before I get this error.
I have tried a single stick of ram on each slot. Only slot 3 and 4 works. Changed to my other stick and it shows the same result. I disabled xmp profile and rested bios setting to retried on slot 1 and 2 but still failed.

Guess I have to take a trip to RMA.

Mythmaker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dude, u gotta read the manual. Slot 1 and 3 only works if slot 2 and 4 are populated.

Last edited:

hafiz116

Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs.

So in conclusion, my ram slot 1 and 2 are not working(Title wrong). I was on slot 2 and 4 with xmp enabled for 5days before I get this error.
I have tried a single stick of ram on each slot. Only slot 3 and 4 works. Changed to my other stick and it shows the same result. I disabled xmp profile and rested bios setting to retried on slot 1 and 2 but still failed.

Guess I have to take a trip to RMA.

You have done the required tests so yes now its a RMA session,...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.