Mobile Access for Seniors scheme / Seniors Go Digital scheme

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
SINGAPORE - From July, low-income seniors will be able to sign up for affordable one-year mobile data plans that cost as little as $5 per month for 5GB, as part of a national initiative to get them connected online.

Basic smartphones starting at $20 will be bundled with the mobile plans under the Mobile Access for Seniors scheme, which was announced on Monday (June 29) by the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA).

There will also be no excess data charges, and surfing speeds will be throttled should seniors inadvertently exceed their data limits.

The plans will be offered by Singtel, StarHub, M1 and TPG Telecom.

"Seniors worry about the knowledge part (when going digital) - 'who can help me?' Another major concern they have is about cost, and I think this subsidised plan addresses that concern," said Communications and Information Minister S. Iswaran on Monday in unveiling the plans.

He added that the absence of excess data charges is an "important source of reassurance" for seniors that they are not going to be "shocked by a bill" that exceeds what they are committed to.

Eligible seniors can register their interest for the mobile plans with Seniors Go Digital digital ambassadors after they have attended digital literacy programmes and acquired at least one basic digital skill, such as learning how to use messaging apps like WhatsApp, or scan QR codes.

Separately, the four telcos, along with virtual telco Circles.Life, are also launching low-cost mobile plans available to all seniors.

For example, StarHub’s four plans include SIM-only one-year plans with 5GB or 30GB of monthly mobile data for $8 or $20 respectively. The other two, which come with a bundled smartphone, are priced at $40 or $60 per month for 15GB or 40GB mobile data respectively over two years. Customers can sign up for these plans from Monday at all StarHub outlets.

Singtel said it will launch its plans in July, which will come with data-free messaging on WhatsApp among other perks. It will also hold Seniors Go Digital workshops at eight outlets across the island to give seniors personalised assistance. The new Mobile Access for Seniors scheme augments broad-ranging outreach efforts under the Singapore Digitalisation Office (SDO) formed last month, including the Seniors Go Digital movement that aims to reach 100,000 seniors by the end of this year.
This SDO will recruit 1,000 digital ambassadors by the end of this month to help seniors as well as stallholders at hawker centres and wet markets to learn how to use digital tools.

These ambassadors have reached all 112 of Singapore's hawker centres this month, and around 500 coffee shops, Mr Iswaran noted.

"What we have now is a truly national digital movement, in terms of its reach, and the inclusiveness, involvement and participation in the effort," said Mr Iswaran.

"There aren't many countries in the world that are doing this kind of effort, where we are actually going to almost the very extremes of our society in order to make digital adoption pervasive."

The IMDA also announced that it has received a $1 million donation from technology and manufacturing firm ST Engineering for its digital access programmes such as Mobile Access for Seniors.

The donation is the largest single contribution to IMDA's digital access programmes to date and is expected to support 4,500 beneficiaries over the next 12 months.

Source: https://www.straitstimes.com/tech/l...e-data-plans-that-cost-as-little-as-5gb-for-5

Last edited:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Great !

I'm just about to help shift my mother's prepaid card to sim plan for convenience's sake.
In light of COVID measures requiring mobile data for things like safe entry.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Great !

I'm just about to help shift my mother's prepaid card to sim plan for convenience's sake.
In light of COVID measures requiring mobile data for things like safe entry.

Yep! With increasing digitalization, a fuss free mobile data plan is essential.
Having volunteered at digital clinics, it is essential that such schemes are put in place. Particularly one that does not incur astronomical data charges if its exceeded for the elderly (>65) who may not be that technologically savvy and may not be well off.

Last edited:

Sumimasen

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But if they dun use much data $8 for 5gb is still more expensive than prepaid card.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
But if they dun use much data $8 for 5gb is still more expensive than prepaid card.

It remains to be seen what is included. Perhaps talk time as well.
I do hope that there is a transparent beneficiary and benefactor option for us to financially offset such cost and support elderlies who come under difficult circumstances - essentially making their costs $0.

mistersoh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got criterias one. Take note.

Posted from PCWX using ALP-L29

hako92

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pls post the details here when it’s available. My cleaner auntie at my workplace still using the $8 top up card, i will help her apply this when it’s out

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Pls post the details here when it’s available. My cleaner auntie at my workplace still using the $8 top up card, i will help her apply this when it’s out

Hwz news got post detail on the plans. Maybe u can check it out

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-seniors-receive-cheap-subsidised-mobile-plans-get-them-connected-singapore-goes-digital

SibehHL

Reaction score
Found 2nos senior plans being quite reasonable:
1) Starhub $8 / 5GB / 350mins talk time plan (for 12 months only)
2) TPG $5 / 20GB / 300mins talktime plan (no max duration mentioned)

Applicant need to be at least 60yrs old, citizen or PR. No other requirements. Can consider applying for old folks at home.

Singtel & M1 senior plans are a waste of time.....

steven168z

Master Member
Reaction score
Found 2nos senior plans being quite reasonable:
1) Starhub $8 / 5GB / 350mins talk time plan (for 12 months only)
2) TPG $5 / 20GB / 300mins talktime plan (no max duration mentioned)

Applicant need to be at least 60yrs old, citizen or PR. No other requirements. Can consider applying for old folks at home.

Singtel & M1 senior plans are a waste of time.....

TPG must use support mobile phone in order to use voice call.. so pointless

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TPG must use support mobile phone in order to use voice call.. so pointless

As long as install the TPG 4G voice app, can already. But it's more like sometimes unable to call to certain numbers, mainly due to peering issues.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.