New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

How early did you sign up with an ISP before you moved in to your new place?

My renovation is projected to be completed in 2-3 weeks and I would be planning to move in the following week it is ready. Should I be contracting and getting the network installed before or after the handover

if still not ready in 2-3week, go and subscribe to TPG, pay $10 for 50GB of data, can get the simcard immediately. should last you until fibre is connected provided that you don't stream a few movies a day.

slasherkenshin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone

I went down to myrepublic to ask earlier - apparently the previous owner hasn’t terminated his service and is still using the port registered at my address.

Also because I redid all the wires I would also need new TP installation which will add to the delay so all in all the salesperson gave the same recommendation to sign up asap and book an appointment. Will need approximately 4-6 weeks :/

1a2a3a

Reaction score
Quick question. ONT to router WAN, you have to use a higher grade cable like cat 6 right?

I heard that if ont to router Wan, if you use cat 5 (not 5e), then from router LAN 1,2,3,4 even if you use cat 6 to client, all of them will be bottleneck by cat 5 speed.

True/false?

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Quick question. ONT to router WAN, you have to use a higher grade cable like cat 6 right?

I heard that if ont to router Wan, if you use cat 5 (not 5e), then from router LAN 1,2,3,4 even if you use cat 6 to client, all of them will be bottleneck by cat 5 speed.

True/false?

Cat 5 max speed is 100mbps.

Would suggest u get cable that support 1gbps speed.

giraffey

Reaction score

True/false?

Yes, you are correct. Cat5 is only intended for up to 100mbps. In Singapore, the speeds are at least 300mbps/500mbps. To make full use of it, Cat5e cables would be the minimum if you want to maximise your internet connectivity.

ahsiao80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Totally no knowledge about ethernet hence i need some help from all the experts here for my new house. Correct me if I'm wrong but after reading some of the post in this thread, the sequence for connection in the DB box is as such:

TP -> ONT -> Router -> Respective ports for the rooms. The ethernet cables which i should be looking to get are CAT6 and above.

Questions

1. For rooms, would things such as wifi mesh or Google Nest Wifi works?
2. When router is placed in DB box, it should affect the WIFI in the living room area somehow or rather right? What should the setup for my living room/ dinning area/ kitchen be?

TIA! :s12:

giraffey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Totally no knowledge about ethernet hence i need some help from all the experts here for my new house. Correct me if I'm wrong but after reading some of the post in this thread, the sequence for connection in the DB box is as such:

TP -> ONT -> Router -> Respective ports for the rooms. The ethernet cables which i should be looking to get are CAT6 and above.

Questions

1. For rooms, would things such as wifi mesh or Google Nest Wifi works?
2. When router is placed in DB box, it should affect the WIFI in the living room area somehow or rather right? What should the setup for my living room/ dinning area/ kitchen be?

TIA! :s12:

1. For your rooms, you can do a mesh (with wired backhaul), wireless router (in ap mode) or pure wireless access points.

2. Yes, the wireless router would be weaker if it is in the db box. You can disable the wireless function of that router or get a pure router (without wireless functionality). In recent BTOs, there should be 1-2 more points in the living room and 1 more point in the storeroom. You can use them for additional wireless router/mesh with wired backhaul/wireless access points

ahsiao80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. For your rooms, you can do a mesh (with wired backhaul), wireless router (in ap mode) or pure wireless access points.

2. Yes, the wireless router would be weaker if it is in the db box. You can disable the wireless function of that router or get a pure router (without wireless functionality). In recent BTOs, there should be 1-2 more points in the living room and 1 more point in the storeroom. You can use them for additional wireless router/mesh with wired backhaul/wireless access points

Thanks for your response!

1. Any recommendation for Mesh? Was looking at Singtel (AirTies 4930) and MR (Google Nest WiFi or Deco M9 Plus WiFi Mesh).

2. Instead of a pure router, am i able to instead place a switch in the DB box so that i can place the provided router in living room for coverage?

Thanks!

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1. Any recommendation for Mesh? Was looking at Singtel (AirTies 4930) and MR (Google Nest WiFi or Deco M9 Plus WiFi Mesh).

2. Instead of a pure router, am i able to instead place a switch in the DB box so that i can place the provided router in living room for coverage?

Thanks!

1. if you are going to use lan cable to link them all, there shouldn't too much difference between the models. they are just reduced to an AP. if not using wired backhaul, get model with tri-band, so nest and airties are out.

2. you can put a switch in db and the provided router in living room, however, you need to lay 2 cables between db and living room. one cable to link ont and router, the other cable to link router back to switch in db.

giraffey

Reaction score

Thanks!

First, are you on SingTel? If so, are you issued an ONT or ONR?

Rock_Lobster

Reaction score
the router at DB keep it to 192.168.1.1, make sure DHCP address range starts from 192.168.1.51 or higher

room 3 change to 192.168.1.2, and also turn off DHCP. Use the yellow port on the router to connect to the wall, do not use blue port.

you still have one spare lan port at the DB, and 3 spare LAN port at room 3.

Ahh I will definitely do this on the rare occasion when my entire family isnt home ;)

I would like to understand the process a little more to educate myself. Dont mind if I ask a few questions.

1. May I know why turning off the DHCP for the router in room 3 where wifi is being used is important? Are we using the DHCP from the DB cabinet? (Is this how it works? :o)

2. Why is changing the DHCP range for the router in the DB important.

3. the reason to change the IP address for the router is to prevent the 2 routers from "clashing" right?

Thank you very much

ahsiao80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. if you are going to use lan cable to link them all, there shouldn't too much difference between the models. they are just reduced to an AP. if not using wired backhaul, get model with tri-band, so nest and airties are out.

2. you can put a switch in db and the provided router in living room, however, you need to lay 2 cables between db and living room. one cable to link ont and router, the other cable to link router back to switch in db.

What model would you recommend if I'm not using wired backhaul? Im just looking to ensure that all my room will have proper coverage :s22: i think Arties have backhaul but Nest no

First, are you on SingTel? If so, are you issued an ONT or ONR?

It's my new house, so currently no ISP yet.

ahsiao80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Xlvc5Ly.png

Hi all, after some intense reading of this thread kindly advice if the way i plan to setup my Wi-Fi is ideal and will have little/ no dead spot in the house.

And its possible to buy a cheap router from others via carousell that was provided by their ISP and place it in the DB box to act as a switch right? If not placing the Google Nest Wi-Fi Router in DB box seems wasted... :s22:

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ahh I will definitely do this on the rare occasion when my entire family isnt home ;)

I would like to understand the process a little more to educate myself. Dont mind if I ask a few questions.

1. May I know why turning off the DHCP for the router in room 3 where wifi is being used is important? Are we using the DHCP from the DB cabinet? (Is this how it works? :o)

2. Why is changing the DHCP range for the router in the DB important.

3. the reason to change the IP address for the router is to prevent the 2 routers from "clashing" right?

Thank you very much

1. should not have more than 1 dhcp server in one network, all devices will be given ip address from the router in db.

2. to make sure that the router doesn't assign your AP's ip address to another device. If you have other devices which you want to assign static ip yourself, just given the number outside the dhcp address range.

3. yes.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Seriously, the nightmare of having to deal with 2 DHCPs is frankly understated. Do not do it, it's not fun when you got problems on the network.

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Xlvc5Ly.png

Hi all, after some intense reading of this thread kindly advice if the way i plan to setup my Wi-Fi is ideal and will have little/ no dead spot in the house.

And its possible to buy a cheap router from others via carousell that was provided by their ISP and place it in the DB box to act as a switch right? If not placing the Google Nest Wi-Fi Router in DB box seems wasted... :s22:

If you have not purchase your google mesh.

1. Get a asus router that support AI MESH. And hook up another Asus AI mesh router in Room 2. Than you have 1 wireless network and 2 AP covering the whole house. This you can manage your router and wireless all under Asus UI.

2. If you already have a google mesh. You can try install google mesh in the DB BOX and see how the wifi speed and coverage before getting normal router to place in db box.

If coverage is good than no need to get another router. The google mesh in db box might give network wifi coverage to living Room, Bedroom 3 & kitchen. Node 2 will cover the rest of the house (MBR)

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Seriously, the nightmare of having to deal with 2 DHCPs is frankly understated. Do not do it, it's not fun when you got problems on the network.

Yes! Not good to have so many dhcp running in a small network.

ahsiao80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you have not purchase your google mesh.

1. Get a asus router that support AI MESH. And hook up another Asus AI mesh router in Room 2. Than you have 1 wireless network and 2 AP covering the whole house. This you can manage your router and wireless all under Asus UI.

2. If you already have a google mesh. You can try install google mesh in the DB BOX and see how the wifi speed and coverage before getting normal router to place in db box.

If coverage is good than no need to get another router. The google mesh in db box might give network wifi coverage to living Room, Bedroom 3 & kitchen. Node 2 will cover the rest of the house (MBR)

May i know which Asus Model i should be looking for? And how much is 1

-Grift-

Reaction score
Xlvc5Ly.png

Having read https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en-SG

Im assuming you are NOT running Google Nest in Bridge mode? If thats the case you will also be having double NAT :s22:
E.g Internet in (WAN IP) -> router in DB Box LAN 1 (192.168.1.x) -> Google Nest LAN 2 (192.168.2.x)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.