Looking for recommendations to replace aging singtel router

bloodsheder

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations to replace my ageing singtel router (singtel refuse to give me a new router for recontract).

The router needs to support miotv and home digital line.

Currently using
ONT. Singtel-issued AC Elite (AC1900) router

Last edited:

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations to replace my ageing singtel router (singtel refuse to give me a new router for recontract).

Are you using ONT or ONR?

What the current Equipment issue to you by singtel.

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Asus, Tp-link, has router that support singtel VLAN.

https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1011708/

https://www.tp-link.com/sg/support/faq/1538/

01. What the reason for replacing the singtel router? Poor wifi signal?

02. How much you wanna spend?

BTW singtel will not provide you with any tech support if you are using 3rd party router. So do not throw away your AC Elite (AC1900) router. You might need to connect back to test your connection with singtel support engineer.

bloodsheder

Reaction score
Asus, Tp-link, has router that support singtel VLAN.

https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1011708/

https://www.tp-link.com/sg/support/faq/1538/

01. What the reason for replacing the singtel router? Poor wifi signal?

02. How much you wanna spend?

BTW singtel will not provide you with any tech support if you are using 3rd party router. So do not throw away your AC Elite (AC1900) router. You might need to connect back to test your connection with singtel support engineer.

Yes. Poor and dropped connections. The range isnt fantastic too. Price not an issue if its easy to configure. Are those routers plug and play?

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
You can consider an asus router as it can be expand with AImesh to improve your wifi coverage.

BTW does you house have LAN point running around?

bloodsheder

Reaction score
You can consider an asus router as it can be expand with AImesh to improve your wifi coverage.

BTW does you house have LAN point running around?

No bro, i think i can look into converting RJ11 to 45. Good suggestion. But i still need a good router for wireless.:s13:

hellgunner

Reaction score
From my own experience, since you are using ONT, your telephone will need to be connect to the SingTel AC Elite. Thus, you will be unable to totally remove the SingTel router.

Many have mention that Asus router do support MIO TV.

My 2 cents:
1) Continue to use SingTel Router & turn off its wifi.
2) Get some mesh system to improve your wifi experience (do use wired backhaul)

Hi everyone,

Currently using
ONT. Singtel-issued AC Elite (AC1900) router

bloodsheder

Reaction score
From my own experience, since you are using ONT, your telephone will need to be connect to the SingTel AC Elite. Thus, you will be unable to totally remove the SingTel router.

My 2 cents:

i see. Thanks for the info. I'm looking at Asus RT-AX58U, will this be a good mesh router.

I'm no networking expert, when u say wired backhaul, do you mean i connect a new mesh router directly to the existing singtel router?

Thank you.

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score

My 2 cents:

Yes this is another good solution. Keep the singtel router. Turn off the wireless and hookup a mesh to improve you're wifi coverage.

hellgunner

Reaction score
Me only using cheap & simple mesh, while continue using Singtel router. Using 2 units of TP-Link Deco M4. (bought it years ago).

Asus RT-AX58U is able to use Asus Aimesh.

Wired backhaul = connecting your device using lan cable.

Depending on your budget, there will be different choices.

i see. Thanks for the info. I'm looking at Asus RT-AX58U, will this be a good mesh router.

I'm no networking expert, when u say wired backhaul, do you mean i connect a new mesh router directly to the existing singtel router?

Thank you.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.