AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

Heroindisguise

Reaction score
The main flaw of the apex 15r lite is the battery, the battery capacity is too small compared to legion 5 , omen 15 and Asus tuf a15 (90whr variant). FYI, the same laptop design is selling in China for 7000rmb ~ 1380sgd

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but Legion 5 no 2060 option and Zephyrus price quite a bit higher with smaller screen and no webcam. Also both Legion and Zephyrus have no SD card reader, but the Apex have which is useful. When gaming best to plug the power in anyway.

The cooling capabilities i will put it on Legion 5 over the Apex.

But i placed my money on G14 instead. Money is not an issue then G14 is the way to go. To me i dont need the webcam and if i want to use a card reader, i do have my own card reader to usb. It is of better speed than most laptops that comes with UHS 1 speed reader.

To me, if you are walking around and want a better compact size, the G14 is the way to go. But since i see Apex and the Legion 5 this time round. I will take the Apex instead but mind you, the performance of a 90w gpu inside will probably be throttling down more than usual.

Legion 5 is being limited by the gpu performance. If budget is a concern then yes. Buy legion 5. If more for gaming gtx1660Ti and 2060 will be needed.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And yes the Apex 15 Lite need to consider the battery also. Too small. I am sure one do not just buy a laptop for gaming only. One will still do other light things on it etc. But when you have a beast cpu and gpu, but equipped with the small battery, it is hard to last long outside. Basically you got to bring a charger and laptop wherever you go. So to me, it will be added weight.

When im using my G14 for light task. I can easily surpass more than 10hrs usage outside without a charger.

baby0nboard

Reaction score
The main flaw of the apex 15r lite is the battery, the battery capacity is too small compared to legion 5 , omen 15 and Asus tuf a15 (90whr variant). FYI, the same laptop design is selling in China for 7000rmb ~ 1380sgd

i read in the notebookreview forum that ODM released this small capacity battery to initial retailers first, so maybe there will be bigger batteries for those who wait.

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys what about illegear?
https://store.illegear.com/onyx-series/226-illegear-onyx-v-ryzen.html

they have better offerings but i don't know, any of you guys have tried them?

It's a company in KL/Malaysia but with a branch in JB as well....so you need to travel there for warranty purposes.

Pricing wise quite competitive.

RM4843/SGD1600 cash for the following options with their mid year sale items (colour calibration, Kryonaut thermal paste)

Ryzen 4800H
RTX2060
2 X 8GB 3200mhz DDR4
500gb NVMe
Windows 10 no license
120hz display.

At AS you'll be paying SGD 1915 (Colour Calibration, Kryonaut thermal paste options included) but with a 144hz screen and local warranty.

So choice is yours whether its worth spending SGD315 to travel up north to collect and for warranty purposes. If not for COVID maybe it is.

baby0nboard

Reaction score
It's a company in KL/Malaysia but with a branch in JB as well....so you need to travel there for warranty purposes.

Pricing wise quite competitive.

RM4843/SGD1600 cash for the following options with their mid year sale items (colour calibration, Kryonaut thermal paste)

Ryzen 4800H
RTX2060
2 X 8GB 3200mhz DDR4
500gb NVMe
Windows 10 no license
120hz display.

At AS you'll be paying SGD 1915 (Colour Calibration, Kryonaut thermal paste options included) but with a 144hz screen and local warranty.

So choice is yours whether its worth spending SGD315 to travel up north to collect and for warranty purposes. If not for COVID maybe it is.

hey thanks for that, and its worth considering..

my concern usage will be for work so i don't need 2060, 1650ti should be fine. and the total will only be 13XXsgd converted, whereas AS even though "pre-order" doesn't offer the same.

but you are right, about warranty claim and covid situation.

hehehe so hard to decide lol

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for that, and its worth considering..

my concern usage will be for work so i don't need 2060, 1650ti should be fine. and the total will only be 13XXsgd converted, whereas AS even though "pre-order" doesn't offer the same.

but you are right, about warranty claim and covid situation.

hehehe so hard to decide lol

If not for Covid and if you're someone who goes to JB frequently for groceries/petrol and have a vehicle then its prob a viable option. Otherwise just wait and see how the situation pans out or you can opt for their DHL delivery option (additional costs + GST) and pray that nothing goes wrong with your set for 2 years or till you can travel in and out to JB easily as there's no guarantee service/repair can take 1 day so you may end up having to do multiple trips to send and collect.

For hassle free + 144hz display, choose local. The only reason to choose Illegear is if you're Malaysian working in SG but staying in JB or...you're Singaporean who have a house in JB.

Skylance48

Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering between the vapor 15 pro and vapor 15x. Are there any major difference between them, besides the thunderbolt port and battery size?

Aresden

Reaction score
my old Aftershock Laptop (M15v2) having beeping noises, unscrewed and re-applied thermal paste on the gfx and cpu. Any idea what may seem to cause it?
The beeping noise is like : beep(2s) , pause for 0.5s, beep(2s) again

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my old Aftershock Laptop (M15v2) having beeping noises, unscrewed and re-applied thermal paste on the gfx and cpu. Any idea what may seem to cause it?
The beeping noise is like : beep(2s) , pause for 0.5s, beep(2s) again

Is the fan spinning? I think you can bring back to Aftershock for cleaning and repasting

Aresden

Reaction score
Is the fan spinning? I think you can bring back to Aftershock for cleaning and repasting

upon unscrewing my laptop, i realised 1 screw missing.
Dun needa bring back ba, since i can DIY, just wanna understand what that beep noise means
edit: yes, the fan was spinning

Last edited:

dodge888

Reaction score

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Remember this?
Creative has just announced a partnership with OEM laptop maker Clevo to implement Super X-Fi technology into future laptops as a hardware solution, bringing the technology to its huge OEM laptop customer base.
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-super-x-fi-coming-laptops

Seems like Clevo finally pushed out their first Laptop to bear the X-Fi technology, but there's a catch though, turns out the first unit to actually feature the "Super X-Fi Headphone Holography" chip is the extremely powerful "True Flagship" DTR 17.3-inch heavyweight chassis X170SM-G, which succeeds the P775 DTR Series, and bears up to Comet Lake-SK desktop CPU and GeForce RTX 2080 Super Max-P GPU.

And sadly, no sign of that coming here though, especially when Aftershock did sell its predecessor unit (P775TM1-G) before as NOVA 17 DTR Notebook, with G-Sync and TB3 as standard configs. Same can be said with the other two successors to some of the more iconic Aftershock chassis from Clevo (PC50 "SLATE 15" Successor and PB51 "NOVA 15" Successor respectively).

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just got a reply from Aftershock they have no plans to bring in the bigger 63WHr battery for the Apex 15R-Lite.

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Some gaming benchmarks. It appears the screen does not come with Freesync.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.