Need advices on dropping out of university

floweries

Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently in Year 2, going to be Year 3 soon. I'm studying in a healthcare-related course and just started my internship. I realised that I did not like the job scope and found it to be extremely stressful for me. Hence, I have thoughts of dropping out of this course.

I had similar thoughts when I was in Year 1, yet I decided to stay on and at least get a degree then find a different job in the future especially since school fees were not cheap. Now, I have a feeling that I may not be able to last till I graduate. I still haven't talked to my parents about this yet, and I'm afraid they will react negatively as my mother previously told me not to drop out once I've chosen a course.

Any advices on this?

Fearah

Reaction score
Speak to your sch admin staff before the next sem starts. Worst case just extend graduation by 2 or 3 sems. But its fine to me if its needed

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently in Year 2, going to be Year 3 soon. I'm studying in a healthcare-related course and just started my internship. I realised that I did not like the job scope and found it to be extremely stressful for me. Hence, I have thoughts of dropping out of this course.

I had similar thoughts when I was in Year 1, yet I decided to stay on and at least get a degree then find a different job in the future especially since school fees were not cheap. Now, I have a feeling that I may not be able to last till I graduate. I still haven't talked to my parents about this yet, and I'm afraid they will react negatively as my mother previously told me not to drop out once I've chosen a course.

Any advices on this?

IMHO.

I am not sure are your fees subsidized. You may want to find out if you drop out now, will there be any impact if you take another degree or diploma.

Also, consider the impact it will have on your CV and job hunting as your future employer may ask you about it.

Internship is just a small part on the long journey. I would say to strive on as if you graduate, you are a graduate and that will open doors to opportunities, regardless of what you might be doing later on in life. :)

floweries

Reaction score
IMHO.

I am not sure are your fees subsidized. You may want to find out if you drop out now, will there be any impact if you take another degree or diploma.

Also, consider the impact it will have on your CV and job hunting as your future employer may ask you about it.

Internship is just a small part on the long journey. I would say to strive on as if you graduate, you are a graduate and that will open doors to opportunities, regardless of what you might be doing later on in life. :)

Yes, I do have MOE tuition grant for school fees! However, the cost of the school fees are still not cheap, in just Year 1, my parents paid about 10k :') Although I called it an internship here, it is something like clinical rotation where I will be placed at certain places to learn and work. I still have 3 more after this placement, hence I am really afraid of the anxieties and stress that will come as they are definitely more difficult to pass than my current one. I am also having a hard time dealing with anxieties, stress and nightmares already.

Thanks for the advice!

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score
Question is if you choose to drop out, what are you going to do? Find a job using your highest qualification of diploma or A level? Or apply for another uni course next year? Then what course are you going to choose and how sure are you that the same story will not happen again?

I did pull out of uni after 1 year and went for another uni and course. I took it like a 2nd chance and not going to let the same story repeat itself but there's still that uncertainty whether I was going to regret this or not. In the end I was much happier in the 2nd uni and now working in a related sector.

It sounds like you are from the healthcare sector. I think there was a time when you were very passionate about helping others which was why you decided to pursue this degree course. Look at the wider picture, what caused the sudden loss of motivation? Stressful situations will always be there regardless of where you go. You've to find a way to manage it.

You can also try to take some time to explore other career pathways that this degree course can lead you to, if frontline healthcare is what you are trying to avoid. Best thing is to speak to people who are in the industry, maybe you might find someone who had been through the same dilemma as you.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am also having a hard time dealing with anxieties, stress and nightmares already.

Thanks for the advice!

See a counsellor. Learn to cope with the anxiety and stress.

Ask yourself, if it's in a different environment, will you also be exposed to anxiety and stress.

Jacob Gan

Reaction score

Any advices on this?
It is a tough, but not a hopeless situation.
One very important note is that you need not end up doing the work as what most people with that qualification do! You definitely do not have to do the type of work that you are doing during the internship! There are many other jobs that you can do with your qualification. Also, with that basic qualification you can even go for a master degree program in another field. Cheer up!

floweries

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies! I'm having difficulties in coming up with a backup plan too. I totally have no idea what I am interested in. I joined the course for the sake of having an degree and for the iron rice bowl. I thought I had the passion in helping people, but I realised that it wasn't the case. I think I don't have much empathy for people.

The stress and anxieties that I have likely stems from my poor foundation as I couldn't focus in studies. It was extremely difficult for me to find motivation for my current course, not even wanting a good gpa could motivate me.

I know there are definitely other careers I can go for, not limited to this profession. That was my original plan, where I continue so I can get a degree and find a different job.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies! I'm having difficulties in coming up with a backup plan too. I totally have no idea what I am interested in. I joined the course for the sake of having an degree and for the iron rice bowl. I thought I had the passion in helping people, but I realised that it wasn't the case. I think I don't have much empathy for people.

The stress and anxieties that I have likely stems from my poor foundation as I couldn't focus in studies. It was extremely difficult for me to find motivation for my current course, not even wanting a good gpa could motivate me.

I know there are definitely other careers I can go for, not limited to this profession. That was my original plan, where I continue so I can get a degree and find a different job.

IMHO.

I would say that you already have a good plan which is why it you would have difficulties coming up with a "better" backup plan.

It is good to know now that you do not have a passion to help people, rather than knowing it later.

If it is your realization that you do not have empathy, perhaps it is time to develop some? I would say empathy works both ways - if i do not have some form of empathy, I may not take time to reply to you? Or it could be my passion to reply to you because it is a logical.

I would say on stress and anxieties are common - just some people handles it better than others. Since you have identify these causes, do spend some time to find reduce them, e.g change lifestyle, healthy lifestyle or eating, etc.

If all else fail, $ could a be form of motivation. :D

angy

Reaction score
Since you posted here, you are here for advice. Why not share
a. what you are studying?
b. what you do not like about it?
c. what you like about it? There are some things that you must like? or else, you would not have pass Year 1.
d. what detest you so much about your course?

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score
If you don't know what to do for a backup plan and your family doesn't print money and you're not planning to rob a bank, I would say the safe option would be to stay where you are currently. Endure it, finish the course. Get that qualification which will open lots of doors even if it is not in the healthcare industry. Rather than wasting the past 2 years by pulling out, knowing that the same thing can happen again because you're not certain of the alternative plan.

That endurance and torture will make you come out a much stronger person at the end.

Attaining that healthcare related degree is already a good backup for your future. Post-COVID, they might revamp the whole industry altogether, hopefully with better pay and benefits for healthcare workers. Touch wood, at the next pandemic, you get retrenched in whatever you're doing, you can easily move back to the healthcare with that qualification. By that time, you will put all your anxieties aside with healthcare because you have a family waiting for you to put food on the table.

floweries

Reaction score
Since you posted here, you are here for advice. Why not share
a. what you are studying?
b. what you do not like about it?
c. what you like about it? There are some things that you must like? or else, you would not have pass Year 1.
d. what detest you so much about your course?

I'm currently in allied-health course in SiT! Sorry, I prefer to keep the exact course to be kept confidential.

I didn't like the huge responsibility and making of important decisions. I understand that all jobs has responsibilities and decisions that has to be taken but I prefer to be someone that takes instructions from people and follows them. I also have communication issues where I get extremely drain out talking to patients.

I'm not sure what I actually like about the course. I think it's basically the salary and not worry about unable to find a job in this field. However, my thoughts have now changed to "having a lower pressure job with lower pay will be better for me" instead. In Year 1, I kept the option to drop out away because I knew how expensive the school fees are, didn't want to disappoint my parents and I haven't experience a stress level that would reach this level. I had a huge emotional breakdown for 2 days with me crying on the way home and having thoughts of suicide.

The course itself isn't something I detest. I dislike the career itself. I know that I didn't research enough about this course before joining it, so I can only blame myself for that. That said, it is rare for people to find a job they really love.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are a student and fresh grad, you won't be the one making important decisions and taking on 'huge' responsibilities as an intern / at work.

Having said that, just go see a counsellor and learn to manage your anxiety and stress. If you can't manage these and your own emotions, it doesn't matter what job or career you do.

Fearah

Reaction score
I'm currently in allied-health course in SiT! Sorry, I prefer to keep the exact course to be kept confidential.

I didn't like the huge responsibility and making of important decisions. I understand that all jobs has responsibilities and decisions that has to be taken but I prefer to be someone that takes instructions from people and follows them. I also have communication issues where I get extremely drain out talking to patients.

I'm not sure what I actually like about the course. I think it's basically the salary and not worry about unable to find a job in this field. However, my thoughts have now changed to "having a lower pressure job with lower pay will be better for me" instead. In Year 1, I kept the option to drop out away because I knew how expensive the school fees are, didn't want to disappoint my parents and I haven't experience a stress level that would reach this level. I had a huge emotional breakdown for 2 days with me crying on the way home and having thoughts of suicide.

The course itself isn't something I detest. I dislike the career itself. I know that I didn't research enough about this course before joining it, so I can only blame myself for that. That said, it is rare for people to find a job they really love.

I know friends who are in a healthcare related course experiencing like you and advised my friend to seek school counselling.

Its courageous of you making this decision and it isnt easy.

Anyhow, you can also explore the possibility of a gap year while you reapply to other courses. You can use the time to take a breather and reflect and rexamine your life goals

Whatever it is i wish u all the best!

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Any advices on this?
Don't drop out. U will regret. A degree is better than no degree..

angy

Reaction score
@floweries
this is a typcial Singaporean way of doing things. Some treat the interns well, some give them the sink or swim approach. It is obvious you are given the sink or swim approach.

I can empathise with your challenges as my close one has been there done that. Let drill down your challenges
a. Communication
Yes, you will be drained out because you are inexperience. You feel like you are traumatized as you are put on spot to make a quick decision or suggestion. Of course everyone will be in the same position as you. But remember, you are not the only one. Others are in the same boat as well. I look at that SIT provide and I presumed you either doing Physio or OT. Honestly, you are dealing with older folks. They can be sometimes slow, stubborn or just play dumb. My mum is a classic example. It is like squeezing blood out of the stone with her. Once you see many of time, you will get immune to the challenges. They all have classic symptoms.

b. Make decisions and following decisions
If I am right what you are doing, no one will give you the decision what to do. The fear in you is, you are afraid to make the wrong decision. But honestly, after you see them all. 80% all have the same problem. So, you fear of making decision, is more of lack of experience.

c. Like or dislike
Honesly, most of us, goto study do not really like the course what we do. Some papers are like ****, some you enjoy. It comes as a package. The challenge for you is to appreciate the you just have to pass the ones that you hate and do well in the ones that you like. No one who graduate, can utilise or remember all the things you studied at Uni. If you can remember 20%, you are solid. So, dont be too harsh about yourself.

d. blame yourself
please dont. You pass Year 1 and Year 2. Then means, you can do it. No one ever do enough research on the courses they want to do. Some even research enough hated the course once they are in it.

What can you do to overcome your challenges
1. communicaiton - find out the why and the what. and see if there is how you can overcome it.

2. instant decision making process
Do the 80/20 rule. Find out what are 80% of the problems people face. Then do research what treatment are usually given. That will be enough. If you can do the 80%, the 20% most of your fellow classmates would not know either.

3. Dont blame yourself
Every end of the day, do a self evaluation. First on what you have done well and why. Then do a what you have not done well and why. Once you see a pattern why you have not done well you can polish it up on the weekend. I am pretty sure you will see a pattern.

Last edited:

nyvrem

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
drop. go out and work, explore. you're still young. find what you are really interested in, and pour ur energy into it.

you can get a degree in alot of different fields online now (except healthcare i guerss), from top Unis. so you're not restricted by location.

heck, maybe what you like might not even need a degree.

keuchik

Reaction score
From personal experience, NUS admissions office is a total piece of ****. Once you drop out, they consider you "tainted" and won't re-enroll you again regardless of how good your grades were and how close you were to graduation.

From a practical perspective, getting a degree will land you a higher starting salary and faster career progression compared to diploma holders. Everyone in the corporate world is stuck in this rigid hierarchy and most likely your hiring manager will also be a diploma holder who will be looking to peg your salary to whatever qualifications that's lower than hers so as to maintain the hierarchy that's beneficial to them.

If you really have intentions to drop out despite all these challenges, leverage your current enrolment status to secure employment from a company. Companies in Singapore are suckers for academic qualifications, with the recent government subsidies going around, you'll most likely stand a good chance of being hired just by being a current undergraduate.

Or you can go the reasonable and push the university to transfer you to another course, it's usually doable and doesn't cost the university too much other than a little administrative hassle on their side. If you fight hard enough for it and clearly articulate your intentions to transfer course, they'll most likely have to relent.

floweries

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the advises! I've decided to continue with the course as other options are just filled with more uncertainties. I will be seeking help through counselling as soon as I can too. Whether or not I will choose this career at the end is still hard to say for now but I will push through another two years to see how it will turn out for me! Who knows maybe I will start to like this career in the future :)

Really thankful for the help!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.