[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
planning to get a ds218

monitoring the prices on shopee/lazada now but seems more expensive than fuwell pricelist

any good ideas at the moment? :o

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't wanna go for DS220+ ?
oh didnt know there's a 220+, wads the new/added features over 218?

was jus looking at fuwell's price list and deciding between cheapest range since i'm jus looking at 2 bays

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh didnt know there's a 220+, wads the new/added features over 218?

was jus looking at fuwell's price list and deciding between cheapest range since i'm jus looking at 2 bays

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nascompares.com/2020/05/23/synology-ds220-vs-ds218-nas-drive-comparison/amp/

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Need some help on networking with the DS220J.

The 220 will be on a local network (no internet access) and with a Mac and few Windows machines connecting to it via a switch. No router will be used coz I read the 220 has a DHCP server.

During the configuration, I realised that the NAS has assigned itself with a IP starting 169. When I tried to enable the DHCP with the range of IP, the NAS prompted that the network interface is already using DHCP to get IP and not recommended to enable the DHCP server.

In this case, when I connect the rest of the machine to this NAS, will these machine be assigned with the IP? Otherwise, what is the right approach to setup the NAS on the local network with the above machine connected and share files?

hafiz116

Reaction score
Need some help on networking with the DS220J.

The 220 will be on a local network (no internet access) and with a Mac and few Windows machines connecting to it via a switch. No router will be used coz I read the 220 has a DHCP server.

During the configuration, I realised that the NAS has assigned itself with a IP starting 169. When I tried to enable the DHCP with the range of IP, the NAS prompted that the network interface is already using DHCP to get IP and not recommended to enable the DHCP server.

In this case, when I connect the rest of the machine to this NAS, will these machine be assigned with the IP? Otherwise, what is the right approach to setup the NAS on the local network with the above machine connected and share files?

The 169 IP address means that you did not get an IP address. The synology has the DHCP server disabled by default. You will need to connect it to a router to access it then enable the DHCP server function on it.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
The 169 IP address means that you did not get an IP address. The synology has the DHCP server disabled by default. You will need to connect it to a router to access it then enable the DHCP server function on it.

My understanding is that the NAS DHCP server function is to assign IP to all the connected machines without router in a local network.

In other word, the NAS DHCP server requires a router to assign IP to the connected machines?

hafiz116

Reaction score
My understanding is that the NAS DHCP server function is to assign IP to all the connected machines without router in a local network.

In other word, the NAS DHCP server requires a router to assign IP to the connected machines?

No,.. you need to be able to access the NAS to turn on the DHCP server. So from your router you will need to see what IP address your router assigned the NAS. Connect to the NAS over the IP and enable DHCP server from the GUI.

Once its enabled the router is no longer required and the NAS will provide DHCP IP addresses. So only the initial config would require a router. I am not sure if you do a master reset if you can even connect to it with a direct Ethernet cable from a laptop or PC,...

iceboi

Reaction score
Synology EW201

Hi,

Did anyone buy the extended warrenty at Singapore for DS1819+.. extended warrenty Synology EW201. Not alot places have sell. Anyone know where can able buy it..

nashii

Reaction score
Hi,

Did anyone buy the extended warrenty at Singapore for DS1819+.. extended warrenty Synology EW201. Not alot places have sell. Anyone know where can able buy it..
you can check on carousell, someone based in bukit panjang have listing for it

Vulpix

Reaction score
Anyone know of any NAS that you can slot in vertically? Not the normal horizontal style one?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any NAS that you can slot in vertically? Not the normal horizontal style one?

All 2-bay Synology NAS slot in vertically.
For 4-bay, only J series is horizontal drive slot in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.