Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5

crazythen

Reaction score
CX-5 small?! I think you mistook it for the CX-3 issit?

Subaru has got better safety with eyesight, better handling with AWD, higher fuel consumption. Forester priced very competitive unless you're going for the e-boxer, which will help with fuel consumption.

CX-5 safety features comes with higher trims I think?

For child seat, rear facing is required when child is required when they are under 6 months, after that depend on weight and height you can transit to normal car seat. You may wanna invest in those which can adapt as they grow.

Forester in terms of price makes the better choice, but CX-5 has got a premium feel to it. Sometimes car ownership isn't just about better money sense, most important thing is your feel when you see and drive it. Just test both extensively and buy the one you like.

When I sat in the CX5 driver seat, i already like it. The test drive didn’t disappoint and on the contrary is one of the torqueish drive I think. However, my spouse who sat at the back the entire time didn’t like the rear space. Obviously I was carried away by thinking I am buying this for myself to drive and enjoy before she reminded me is for the babies. Common sense sunk in. I measure the distance and compare against the rear facing child seat, to make it work, the front passenger will be very uncomfortable.

I am going to test drive forester to get a sense. Watched YouTube review and so far so good. Agreed decent budget, however the OMV is so low. Pros and cons but I do like the large windows and larger space. I hope the drive will be positive. Then I can cross the line.

Bloodboilboy

Reaction score
When I sat in the CX5 driver seat, i already like it. The test drive didn’t disappoint and on the contrary is one of the torqueish drive I think. However, my spouse who sat at the back the entire time didn’t like the rear space. Obviously I was carried away by thinking I am buying this for myself to drive and enjoy before she reminded me is for the babies. Common sense sunk in. I measure the distance and compare against the rear facing child seat, to make it work, the front passenger will be very uncomfortable.

I am going to test drive forester to get a sense. Watched YouTube review and so far so good. Agreed decent budget, however the OMV is so low. Pros and cons but I do like the large windows and larger space. I hope the drive will be positive. Then I can cross the line.

Await your field report on forester test drive, please remember to share, thanks in advance.

Perceptor

Reaction score
Forester bigger and more spacious. Read doors open wide for mounting child seats.
Fuel consumption quite good for a SUV.
Safe and tall.

If kids still small, try the Skoda Karoq.
Safer.

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

So you haven't test drove the Forester. Give it a shot and see how you and your wife feels about it. Gotta give it to you treating your wife so well *thumbs up*

IMO I think your driving pleasure should still dictate the choice since you're the one who's gonna spend more time on the road after chauffeuring the kids and wife. But of course if your wife's gonna be upset for the next 10 years, it's not gonna work :s22: I think you need to double confirm if Forester comes with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto cause the website isn't very clear and doesn't indicate that it is compatible with either.

CX-5 top trim has got ventilated seats which is superb in our weather. Another thing to note is that CX-5 price had actually dropped alot, for the premium model, it was at $149k which makes the $128k look like a super good deal. If power is your thing, I think you can even get the 2.5L model but need to specially indent at much higher price.

crazythen

Reaction score
So you haven't test drove the Forester. Give it a shot and see how you and your wife feels about it. Gotta give it to you treating your wife so well *thumbs up*

IMO I think your driving pleasure should still dictate the choice since you're the one who's gonna spend more time on the road after chauffeuring the kids and wife. But of course if your wife's gonna be upset for the next 10 years, it's not gonna work :s22: I think you need to double confirm if Forester comes with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto cause the website isn't very clear and doesn't indicate that it is compatible with either.

CX-5 top trim has got ventilated seats which is superb in our weather. Another thing to note is that CX-5 price had actually dropped alot, for the premium model, it was at $149k which makes the $128k look like a super good deal. If power is your thing, I think you can even get the 2.5L model but need to specially indent at much higher price.

Yeah. Can’t imagine the nagging for 10 years every time we put in the car seat.

Indeed CX5 was at going below 120k on the July bid for premium. TKE no longer carry 2.5 model. CX5 top trim is still going at 15-18k pricier than Forester.

Forester 2020 comes with apple car play.

crazythen

Reaction score
But y no harrier or rav4????

Sent from Xiaomi MI A3 using GAGT

I tried rav4. Drive was ok. Power is good. Generous space. A tad bit disappointed with the interior for a new model. Looks like designed in the 80s. Very rugged and too much for my liking. Also the finishing with lots of basic plastic - a bit hard for me to commit.

In the showroom next to it was harrier. Only 10k pricier. No offense but it looks like a car for those in the 45s+. Not there yet. Watched some review - indeed is the best selling Toyota suv.

bwaysaikryptonite

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dunch waste time on teh Mazda.....of all teh jap cars their selling prices always higher compared to other brands wif similar omv...they want to keep their margins high....and teh cx5 is outgoing model soon...they want to clear teh old 2019 batch and sell teh facelift at 5k more soon...those buy sure stuck when new model comes around 2022

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Can’t imagine the nagging for 10 years every time we put in the car seat.

Indeed CX5 was at going below 120k on the July bid for premium. TKE no longer carry 2.5 model. CX5 top trim is still going at 15-18k pricier than Forester.

Forester 2020 comes with apple car play.

Happy wife, happy life! :s12:

Actually for most people, the car seat is gonna be like there "permanently" after you install until you need to reconfigure or "upgrade" when they grow up, unless you're gonna always ferry others at the backseat without the baby. Or unless you are using those travel system which you detach and secure it every time. I used to use the travel system style, its ok but not the most secure since it doesn't use ISOfix, upgraded to a seat that suits from 0 to 7YO and never looked back.

If you really have to install/uninstall the child seat on a frequent basis, i think you really should consider Forester as the door opening is much wider which helps a lot by not getting in the way, of course you must be parked somewhere which allows the door to be fully opened to utilise this feature.

Another thing to note, for Subaru, you can't install window tint on the windscreen as it'll obstruct the eyesight cameras and will cause problem

anytime

Reaction score
Subaru drivetrain can last longer than most think and fc is probably on par with cx-5. For the safety, you will appreciate more if you go msia often with its adaptive cruise. Size is generous. Can tint front window too since MI has confirmed with jp. Subaru devised this cvt had help them to improve on FC.

Happy wife, happy life! :s12:

Actually for most people, the car seat is gonna be like there "permanently" after you install until you need to reconfigure or "upgrade" when they grow up, unless you're gonna always ferry others at the backseat without the baby. Or unless you are using those travel system which you detach and secure it every time. I used to use the travel system style, its ok but not the most secure since it doesn't use ISOfix, upgraded to a seat that suits from 0 to 7YO and never looked back.

If you really have to install/uninstall the child seat on a frequent basis, i think you really should consider Forester as the door opening is much wider which helps a lot by not getting in the way, of course you must be parked somewhere which allows the door to be fully opened to utilise this feature.

Another thing to note, for Subaru, you can't install window tint on the windscreen as it'll obstruct the eyesight cameras and will cause problem

cloudwane

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat as TS. Looked at both Forester and CX-5, in the end I went for Forester due to it’s space, safety features and best bang for bucks.

CX-5 does looks nicer and better than forester and it depends on what you want or like. For me, I went on practicality.

Window tint at the windscreen is possible and confirmed as well by MI. You can also top up a bit to get the Apple/Android headunit. Features wise, forester has its better than CX-5.

My kids are growing up in sizes and would prefer better space at the back.

crazythen

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat as TS. Looked at both Forester and CX-5, in the end I went for Forester due to it’s space, safety features and best bang for bucks.

CX-5 does looks nicer and better than forester and it depends on what you want or like. For me, I went on practicality.

Window tint at the windscreen is possible and confirmed as well by MI. You can also top up a bit to get the Apple/Android headunit. Features wise, forester has its better than CX-5.

My kids are growing up in sizes and would prefer better space at the back.

Thanks. Exactly my predicament. I would have crossed the line with CX5 with the sportier design. But in practical sense, on you grow the family, or even with a small family but the need to ferry parents, CX5 just doesn’t make the cut (CX9 is perfect but price is beyond my reach).

So I tested forester. Verdict:
1. Able to accommodate rear facing infant seat. Not one but two. If you 6foot / 180cm, you still have 1-2 inch to spare from the child seat frame.
2. Space is very generous. Can accommodate stroller, travel luggages, huge boxes without struggle.
3. Overwhelmed by the amount of info and buttons. Just too heavy information download.
4. Sunroof gives an impression the car is spacious.
5. Large windows - like omg it makes the entire car well lit for a morning / afternoon drive.
6. Felt slightly underpowered - though it is a 2.0, it takes a while to gradually pick up speed (with accelerator floored).
7. Rear seats can fit 3 adults reasonably comfortable.
8. Finishing is “plasticky”. Lack of soft touches.
9. Apple CarPlay only comes with “upgrade”.
10. Relatively large SUV, and if your spouse is driving this, may be a challenge.

Immediately after, I paid a visit to CX5, the rear does feel claustrophobic with a child seat. The middle seat might be too compact for a comfortable ride if an adult is seating in between. But CX5 finishing has an “atas” factor undeniably.

cloudwane

Reaction score
Thanks. Exactly my predicament. I would have crossed the line with CX5 with the sportier design. But in practical sense, on you grow the family, or even with a small family but the need to ferry parents, CX5 just doesn’t make the cut (CX9 is perfect but price is beyond my reach).

So I tested forester. Verdict:
1. Able to accommodate rear facing infant seat. Not one but two. If you 6foot / 180cm, you still have 1-2 inch to spare from the child seat frame.
2. Space is very generous. Can accommodate stroller, travel luggages, huge boxes without struggle.
3. Overwhelmed by the amount of info and buttons. Just too heavy information download.
4. Sunroof gives an impression the car is spacious.
5. Large windows - like omg it makes the entire car well lit for a morning / afternoon drive.
6. Felt slightly underpowered - though it is a 2.0, it takes a while to gradually pick up speed (with accelerator floored).
7. Rear seats can fit 3 adults reasonably comfortable.
8. Finishing is “plasticky”. Lack of soft touches.
9. Apple CarPlay only comes with “upgrade”.
10. Relatively large SUV, and if your spouse is driving this, may be a challenge.

Immediately after, I paid a visit to CX5, the rear does feel claustrophobic with a child seat. The middle seat might be too compact for a comfortable ride if an adult is seating in between. But CX5 finishing has an “atas” factor undeniably.

Now you would have a better comparison on both cars. Safety comes to mind with the kiddos.

I do agree that wife would have trouble driving but it’s more on parking and manoeuvre I’m close spaces as there are certain multi-stories carpark which can be harder. For driving on the road, it’s should be easier to accommodate as it’s a matter of getting used to the car.

Coming from continental car, I’m going to try Japanese car for another time. Ultimately, it’s what you want.

CX5 price is higher and Forester as well and Mazda did not give a good deal on my current car trade in as well. So that’s another consideration point for me

emo3lmo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy outlander.. cheap and good
Interior dated but its value for money
Sg cnt drive too fast also
Able to cruise at 100-110 easily

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.