Android TV Box

zacky1223

Reaction score
Is it for the LG OLED tv u just bought? Doesn't it have android tv function?

yes correct. But was thinking if it's possible just get android box downloading the apps and stream movies instead of paying netflix etc.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am planning to get an android box to watch movies and tv shows. Looking at Puliderde Q+ from shopee is this box ok?

Not a good box. Do not buy any generic box with H6 CPU.

Buy those with S905X2/S905X3 if you want to buy a generic box.

If you do not need Netflix HD (for example your smart TV already supports Netflix 4K), one possibility is Mecool KM1 certified Android TV OS but no Netflix certification.

Minix Neo T5 is another box to check out if you want a better brand than Mecool.

If you need Netflix HD, then the choices are limited. Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV are the two main options.

Last edited:

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes correct. But was thinking if it's possible just get android box downloading the apps and stream movies instead of paying netflix etc.

I just ordered a Xiaomi tv that has androidtv function... dunno whether need to get android tv box also...

zacky1223

Reaction score
Not a good box. Do not buy any generic box with H6 CPU.

Buy those with S905X2/S905X3 if you want to buy a generic box.

If you do not need Netflix HD (for example your smart TV already supports Netflix 4K), one possibility is Mecool KM1 certified Android TV OS but no Netflix certification.

Minix Neo T5 is another box to check out if you want a better brand than Mecool.

If you need Netflix HD, then the choices are limited. Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV are the two main options.

Wow thanks for explaining! If I download the apps from the TV box can I still stream at 4k quality ? Or only Netflix can stream at 4k?

DDanieLL

Reaction score
Eh... A quick question and might be a stupid one. If i buy minix neo t5 or mrcool boz, can i install vpn app and stream movie from iqiyi? I got a pay vpn from play store and would like to get a box to cast it on my tv. Thank in advance.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh... A quick question and might be a stupid one. If i buy minix neo t5 or mrcool boz, can i install vpn app and stream movie from iqiyi? I got a pay vpn from play store and would like to get a box to cast it on my tv. Thank in advance.

Yes you can install VPN apps. Which VPN are you talking about here?

iQiyi international version does not require VPN. iQiyi China version does require China VPN, like Transocks and AJS爱加速. Normal VPNs like Express VPN, Nord VPN and Surfshark will not work.

You can install iQiyi apps on to the box as well, no need to use cast. iQiyi international version is available from Android TV OS Play Store. iQiyi China version can be sideloaded, using Dangbei Market or Shafa Market.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

be-careful when using casting with vpn. not all can work in this scenario.

if you need both casting and vpn, the safest way is to run vpn on your router .

the best way is not to use vpn.

DDanieLL

Reaction score
Yes you can install VPN apps. Which VPN are you talking about here?

iQiyi international version does not require VPN. iQiyi China version does require China VPN, like Transocks and AJS爱加速. Normal VPNs like Express VPN, Nord VPN and Surfshark will not work.

You can install iQiyi apps on to the box as well, no need to use cast. iQiyi international version is available from Android TV OS Play Store. iQiyi China version can be sideloaded, using Dangbei Market or Shafa Market.

I use cheetah vpn for mobile connect china version. So both box can then i should chose which one? Can advise?

DDanieLL

Reaction score
be-careful when using casting with vpn. not all can work in this scenario.

if you need both casting and vpn, the safest way is to run vpn on your router .

Any recommended router? Changing my router too as current 2.4ghz wireless router from singtel spoiled

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use cheetah vpn for mobile connect china version. So both box can then i should chose which one? Can advise?

Not sure if the VPN can work with iQiyi China version. The good China VPN includes Transocks, AiJiaShu, SpeedIn, SpeedCN, etc. Most of the apps from.Cheeta are bad apps.

As for box, either Minix NEO T5 or Mecool KM1 is okay. Minix is more famous as in branding. Mecool KM1 is cheaper and has higher HW spec than Minix NEO T5.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommended router? Changing my router too as current 2.4ghz wireless router from singtel spoiled

No need to use cast if you want to use iQiyi. And the China VPNs typically do not support OpenVPN and may not be able to install on the router.

If you want to change the SingTel router, Asus RT-AX58 is a good one. Or you can look at the upcoming RT-AX82U or RT-AX88U if you want higher performance compared to RT-AX58U.

FangsDK

Reaction score
I will not recommend either one. But if you really want to buy such preloaded box, then buy the more established Ubox.

I am considering to get a preloaded box as well mainly becuz its for the older folks as an inexpensive replacement for starhub..

I tried installing various chinese apps for a generic box before (a while ago) but it ended up too complex and time consuming to troubleshoot when the old folks have problems with it..

Which chinese apps would you recommend which are stable?

Pardon me if there is already a list available.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.