NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether someone's chance of getting into a civil service position might be affected depending on which party the person voted for?

Your vote is secret. Dun worry :)

If not, those ppl staying in aljunied and hougang wouldn't b working in civil service alr :)

Mas Selamat

Reaction score
Hi there! Are you referring to your teaching applications or other positions? If it’s for the teaching ones, and if it’s the past two windows, you might want to consider to withdraw. Did you remember the cut-off date that MOE indicated in the email that they’ve sent you to note should you be unsuccessful?

There’s always a date that they’ve indicated in the email that says “ You may check your application status on the Careers@Gov portal or assume that your application is unsuccessful if you do not hear from us by (insert date here)”.

If the date has passed, then there’s a possibility your application is not successful. If it hasn’t, maybe don’t withdraw just yet?

Hi there, thanks for replying. Ouh I`m referring to the teaching position which is diploma in education under Untrained teacher.
Yes I remembered thst the email MOE send to me stated the cut off date is 12 july which is sunday. So I`ve got until sunday to wait for a call or good news. I don`t know but base on my experience of using careers.gov website, it seems quite hard to get an interview or jobs. I seem to have like a 10% out of 100% of securing an interview. Hopefully there will be good news soon..praying for everyone who is facing the same difficulties as me🙏

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for replying. Ouh I`m referring to the teaching position which is diploma in education under Untrained teacher.
Yes I remembered thst the email MOE send to me stated the cut off date is 12 july which is sunday. So I`ve got until sunday to wait for a call or good news. I don`t know but base on my experience of using careers.gov website, it seems quite hard to get an interview or jobs. I seem to have like a 10% out of 100% of securing an interview. Hopefully there will be good news soon..praying for everyone who is facing the same difficulties as me🙏

Generally it is because of the coronavirus now. Graduates just came out recently and there are also people who lost their jobs. I faced the same problem when using career@gov this year, only 1 called me up for interview. The job market is very bad now.

You will probably face fierce competition for teaching during this period. Because application for teaching doesn't require prior experience, it is likely that many people are considering it as an alternative career.

meryl01

Reaction score
Hello,

I submitted my application for Diploma in Education (Pri Art) yesterday. I am a polytechnic graduate from a social work diploma and my GPA wasn't great. Just wondering, are they very particular about your grades or more towards your art portfolio? I also would like to know how many days do they give you to prepare for the interview if let's say you get shortlisted?

:eek: I've been reading this forum and it seems like the competition is high so I'm pretty pessimistic about it.

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Hello,

I submitted my application for Diploma in Education (Pri Art) yesterday. I am a polytechnic graduate from a social work diploma and my GPA wasn't great. Just wondering, are they very particular about your grades or more towards your art portfolio? I also would like to know how many days do they give you to prepare for the interview if let's say you get shortlisted?

:eek: I've been reading this forum and it seems like the competition is high so I'm pretty pessimistic about it.

Generally you don't need excellent grades to get in. I know people who have poor grades but got in, and have also seen some people with good grades getting rejected.

They will give you sufficient time to prepare for interview, at least 1 - 2 weeks.

poodleparade

Reaction score
Hello,

I attended 2 interviews for art and both times, the panel wasn't very interested in looking through my portfolio at all. They just flipped it a little (probably spent like less than a min looking at it) and that was that. They spent more time on the interview portion. I must have done something right since I'm starting my untrained stint soon. Don't worry too much about the grades cos I don't think they are that important since moe will train you if need be.

pure.fresh003

Reaction score
Hi, I am from the Jan/Feb intake.

Anyone who went for the interview in June/July, did they indicate when is the earliest start date? I have missed the July 13 intake due to the delay from covid-19.

Jan/Feb intake will probably be pushed together with the June/July batch.

Appreciate it!

vnnnnn

Reaction score
Hi! Just did my interview for untrained stint in pri (art).

Does anyone know if this increases/decreases my chances of getting in?

- at the end of interview, one of the interviewers told me that I should keep in mind to articulate better and not use “ums” and “ahs” since as a teacher we are supposed to speak properly. (edit: I’m usually loud and a clear speaker, so I’m assuming (and hope) that she was referring to my excessive use of fillers..)

- i faced a couple of hiccups at the start and the interviewers seemed annoyed. during my presentation of the lesson plan, it was cut short (although the interviewer mentioned it is because they just want to get a feel of how i conduct a lesson). Another lady (HR?) looked through most of my portfolio.

- i was asked quite a few questions, which were:
- why do you want to be a teacher?
- do you know that as a teacher you are not only to teach arts. but also handle other matters? do you know what they are?
- do you know what a form teacher is/what they are in charge of?
- do you think you are capable of being a form teacher?
- how would your friends describe you?

I feel like i screwed up my interview even though i was prepared😭

Last edited:

hameedmr

Reaction score

Anyone who went for the interview in June/July, did they indicate when is the earliest start date? I have missed the July 13 intake due to the delay from covid-19.

Appreciate it!

Iirc it's 22nd December.

Reaction score

Appreciate it!

Did MOE drop you a notification recently acknowledging that there is a delay indeed?

zelxx_

Reaction score

Appreciate it!
Hello! I rmb you saying you emailed MOE, did they reply you?

beaconofhope

Reaction score
Does anyone know if computer applications is an easy subject/area to master in with a timeframe of 4 months?

Thinking of applying sec sch Bio and computer applications. I have biology background, not so much for computer related things. Will they expect me to teach computer syllabus straightaway during teaching stint?

Crimson 18

Reaction score
Hi did anyone from the May/June application window received an email today that the application is in process and if we do not hear from them by 30th July 2020,we can consider application to be unsuccessful?Deadline supposed to be 13th July if you are shortlisted for interview.I think now it's extended.

skygeek

Reaction score
Hi Crimson_18, i have been a silent reader of this thread. I am from the May/June window, and not yet receive such email. What subject did you apply for?

Crimson 18

Reaction score
Hi Crimson_18, i have been a silent reader of this thread. I am from the May/June window, and not yet receive such email. What subject did you apply for?

I applied for pri(eng and maths) as well as mother tongue as next choice.My status in portal is still submitted.I received the email today morning.What is your status?

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Does anyone know if computer applications is an easy subject/area to master in with a timeframe of 4 months?

Thinking of applying sec sch Bio and computer applications. I have biology background, not so much for computer related things. Will they expect me to teach computer syllabus straightaway during teaching stint?

First few weeks you probably don't need to teach straight away, likely you will be assisting the teacher and observing. Before contract teaching there is a sort of 1 week general training at some academy I think.

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Hi! Just did my interview for untrained stint in pri (art).

Does anyone know if this increases/decreases my chances of getting in?

- at the end of interview, one of the interviewers told me that I should keep in mind to articulate better and not use “ums” and “ahs” since as a teacher we are supposed to speak properly.

- i faced a couple of hiccups at the start and the interviewers seemed annoyed. during my presentation of the lesson plan, it was cut short (although the interviewer mentioned it is because they just want to get a feel of how i conduct a lesson). Another lady (HR?) looked through most of my portfolio.
I think articulation is important, so that feedback might affect your chances abit. Generally it still depends on the competition, the number of vacancies available, and how the other art applicants do.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.