Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5

Kia7200

Master Member
Reaction score
This car looks good esp interior & review was pretty good. 1.5T @ 9.9s to 100kmh is quite decent. Only thing is whether people can get pass the MIC.

Ya, the interior looks quite conti. Low road tax with good performance

If only MG can provide a 5-10yrs warranty, and the price can be more competitive then I guess they can have more market share in SG.

dibromoethene

Reaction score
From test drive I was really impressed with forester suspension. Over bumps and drain covers the forester really shines in terms of comfort.

The low CG (boxer engine and AWD) allows them to use softer springs without sacrificing on body roll.

Also if you prefer agent servicing, Mazda definitely not the cheapest. For example, 60k servicing for mazda3 is about $800. Regular service is about $300. May be good idea to negotiate for servicing package until warranty over.

Spare parts wise I hear from mechanics that mazda parts tend to be more expensive. But couldn't verify as the parts seem to last very long.

Last edited:

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s very true Mazda AD servicing is expensive and IMO not worth it. Do outside workshop can easily save 50%. Subaru AD servicing also expensive but not as crazy.

What really turns me off at Mazda is that my service officer who dgaf, some others are much better and can plainly see the difference.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From test drive I was really impressed with forester suspension. Over bumps and drain covers the forester really shines in terms of comfort.

The low CG (boxer engine and AWD) allows them to use softer springs without sacrificing on body roll.

Also if you prefer agent servicing, Mazda definitely not the cheapest. For example, 60k servicing for mazda3 is about $800. Regular service is about $300. May be good idea to negotiate for servicing package until warranty over.

Spare parts wise I hear from mechanics that mazda parts tend to be more expensive. But couldn't verify as the parts seem to last very long.

The a/c con parts - 3 years up lorry. Hearsay from air con shop.
My colleague ride, NA version, 3rd +, cooling coil up lorry. Thirsty car as is heavy.

Kia7200

Master Member
Reaction score
It’s very true Mazda AD servicing is expensive and IMO not worth it. Do outside workshop can easily save 50%. Subaru AD servicing also expensive but not as crazy.

What really turns me off at Mazda is that my service officer who dgaf, some others are much better and can plainly see the difference.

I find outside workshop better than tek, cheaper somemore.

The original spare parts or oem can buy from stocklist. I changed my wheelbearing cw wheel hub, plus installation only $275 including alightment, but if u go AD confirm x 3 times.

Fyi, i change the wheelbearing because i run over a pc of thick wood

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unless u go offroad.. else awd or 4wd is practically not useful

not sure if you have driven a subaru before
1) take off feels different. it feels like the whole car move together, instead of head pulling the tail. more obvious on slopes are expressways.
2) on wet weather, which is not uncommon in Sg, given same tyre between AWD and non AWD, those who drive Subbies will know how stable it is to drive.

these practical points are something that when you drive subbies, then u go back drive FF, you know :)

iceraider

Reaction score
E only subaru i drove before is Legacy🤣🤣 for a short trip..

Yeah i know good for slippery road due to more traction provided by awd but most cars today aredy have e relevant tech to deal with it.. n how slippery is sg road to begin with and we dun snow. So personally i find it not practical.

e set up of awd or 4wd is more complex than 2wd.. i.e. u may need pay more for repair if smthg happen (touchwood)

Also it increase ur fc cos e engine need more power to move 4 instead of 2 wheels

not sure if you have driven a subaru before
1) take off feels different. it feels like the whole car move together, instead of head pulling the tail. more obvious on slopes are expressways.
2) on wet weather, which is not uncommon in Sg, given same tyre between AWD and non AWD, those who drive Subbies will know how stable it is to drive.

these practical points are something that when you drive subbies, then u go back drive FF, you know :)

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
E only subaru i drove before is Legacy🤣🤣 for a short trip..

Yeah i know good for slippery road due to more traction provided by awd but most cars today aredy have e relevant tech to deal with it.. n how slippery is sg road to begin with and we dun snow. So personally i find it not practical.

e set up of awd or 4wd is more complex than 2wd.. i.e. u may need pay more for repair if smthg happen (touchwood)

Also it increase ur fc cos e engine need more power to move 4 instead of 2 wheels

FC deltas prolly result in $20-40 a month?
on the greater scale of things, that amount really doesn't translate much to most car owners who drive not for livinghood.

mel1888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well if i had a choice, i will buy AWD for my car. It improves grip thus translates to safety. Esp since i heavy foot, need to gŕrrrrrip corners more. Lol.

crazythen

Reaction score
Haiz...

As TS I thought I already constrained the discussion to the captioned subject cars. If deviate also within similar price range...hijacked with continental car, has a dilution effect to the confirmation bias we are forming here. If possible should just compare to cars of the same price range c.10%.

Without such constraint, next Lamborghini SUV will be brought up and it becomes a fantasy discussion.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is a open to all views. Different ppl different strokes. Now TS more headache. Better you avoid asking online on such topic. lolz

bwaysaikryptonite

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Forester over teh overpriced cx5....they trying to maintain a premium feel for Mazda but chiu wanna sell time....chiu suffer depreciation more than teh forester and same category jap cars

Infinite

Reaction score
FC deltas prolly result in $20-40 a month?
on the greater scale of things, that amount really doesn't translate much to most car owners who drive not for livinghood.

TS run road alr? :s13:

My first car was an old Subaru, though I loved its looks, I felt that AWD was unnecessary in SG. Fuel consumption is high and it is slow, really slow (mine was a 1.6M)

The boxer engine felt dated, it seems like Toyota Honda etc. has moved on with the times whereas Subaru is still stuck with their early 2000 technology. Moving on to a FF car, the car feels more eager to move off the line, albeit the handling is not as good as a Subaru.

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My first car was a Subaru, yes driving is stable but I also never chiong like crazy especially around a corner.

Now driving a Mazda, which is know for good handling, can feel the difference but easy to mitigate.

As long know how to drive safely within the car's limit, I don't think AWD is necessary considering the fuel consumption and like some mentioned more parts that may break though my Subaru lasted 10 years without any power train issue, only air con problem. As long as you like the way the car drives, the above can be ignored.

frozted12

Reaction score
Should consider outlander too. Me from wish to sienta to outlander...
Specs, FC, power is sufficient. But would be good if they hv 4wd for the 2.0 sg version.

SuperClubby

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Should consider outlander too. Me from wish to sienta to outlander...
Specs, FC, power is sufficient. But would be good if they hv 4wd for the 2.0 sg version.
SG don't really need 4WD/AWD, good tyres matter the most. :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.