Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info

Tool18

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Bros , I wish to share my experience where I did not even loan anything or did anything or met anyone , meaning I got harassed like out of the blue (yes I was like WTF ? ) just like that for not doing anything .

After recollecting , I linked it to a LAN shop where I had to put my identification (stupidly enough my IC) to play 3 hours of lan gaming with my friends , it was the typical ah Beng lan shop setup , suspected they targetted me and got my details from my IC or used my IC to borrow money during my lan playing period , that’s why I strongly believed they had my address but not my number .

Yes they splashed paint over my door and wall beside my house with a number to call back.

I called back (using masked number) and gave the guy a lashing , and told him not to bother me after which I reported to the police . They came back I think 1 more time 2 weeks later , tbut everything they did I just updated my IO , after 3 months they stopped

This is just to share this kind of scam harassment also can happen for no reason and happen to anyone . So please do not use your IC or passport as a deposit anywhere

Also to all Bros who are affected by harassment , Just be brave face it and keep the police every update , ignore these idiots

Thanks

Ejenboy

Reaction score
Is this your first time defaulting payment, or got miss payments before? Sometimes LML can get confrontational with threats if they think borrowers not willing to pay. Maybe you can share more about your situation bro, then can know how better to advise.

First 2mths was smooth. On my 3rd month, i had a hard time with my work due to **. Hence lose commission. My due date is mid month but my salary is end month. So i told him i cant make payment. He said will postpone payments to the following week. When due date arrived i still can't commit to pay. Thats when he started all these threats. He claims i am playing hide and seek and merry go round. I know legally they can't do that. But they can legally come over to my house for payments.

hungryllama

Reaction score
First 2mths was smooth. On my 3rd month, i had a hard time with my work due to **. Hence lose commission. My due date is mid month but my salary is end month. So i told him i cant make payment. He said will postpone payments to the following week. When due date arrived i still can't commit to pay. Thats when he started all these threats. He claims i am playing hide and seek and merry go round. I know legally they can't do that. But they can legally come over to my house for payments.

True that LML can visit your home. But there’s a few things you can consider that might be helpful:

1) When they call or msg you, it’s better to pick up or reply to their msg so that they won’t think that you’re hiding from them. If they think you’re hiding, higher chance that they will do home visit. Think about it - if your friend owe you money but ignore your calls/msg, you’re likely to go look for them right? But if you’re responsive, no guarantee but the chance of them turning up at your house is lower. This means, you need to learn how to manage them effectively over phone call or message. There are ways to go about that.

2) Many LMLs contract out to debt collectors (from a separate company) to do home visits. That incurs a cost, so unless you owe a lot or they believe you won’t pay, chances are they are less likely to bear that cost.

3) How many LMLs you owe is also key. If only one, easier to manage. If multiple, you need to learn how to prioritize properly. LMLs will also generally know in their backend if you owe other LMLs money too, so it might influence their tactics towards you.

4) Beyond the immediate problem of your next repayment, it’s good to seek some help on how to manage your debt, cope with harassment and organise your financial life to reduce your borrowing situation. There are a few agencies out there who offer such help for free. It will help in the long run.

Hope this is useful bro. Can PM if needed.

hungryllama

Reaction score
From UML sir. They say give me 3 days, today is day 3.

Can you share abit more about your loan situation? It’ll help to look at what has happened to decide what is best to do. If it’s private, can PM me. Don’t panic, there are ways to deal with it.

firsttimebuyer

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Bros , I wish to share my experience where I did not even loan anything or did anything or met anyone , meaning I got harassed like out of the blue (yes I was like WTF ? ) just like that for not doing anything .

After recollecting , I linked it to a LAN shop where I had to put my identification (stupidly enough my IC) to play 3 hours of lan gaming with my friends , it was the typical ah Beng lan shop setup , suspected they targetted me and got my details from my IC or used my IC to borrow money during my lan playing period , that’s why I strongly believed they had my address but not my number .

Yes they splashed paint over my door and wall beside my house with a number to call back.

I called back (using masked number) and gave the guy a lashing , and told him not to bother me after which I reported to the police . They came back I think 1 more time 2 weeks later , tbut everything they did I just updated my IO , after 3 months they stopped

This is just to share this kind of scam harassment also can happen for no reason and happen to anyone . So please do not use your IC or passport as a deposit anywhere

Also to all Bros who are affected by harassment , Just be brave face it and keep the police every update , ignore these idiots

Thanks

Wah, when was this?

Hellobye123

Reaction score
Can you share abit more about your loan situation? It’ll help to look at what has happened to decide what is best to do. If it’s private, can PM me. Don’t panic, there are ways to deal with it.

I took a loan from an UML, then subsequently taken more to repay them. One day I felt it was stupid as they use many many tactics and changed the loans to daily repayment. So I went to the police. They were quiet thru **, Then until 3 days ago I got a note pasted on my door.

hungryllama

Reaction score
I took a loan from an UML, then subsequently taken more to repay them. One day I felt it was stupid as they use many many tactics and changed the loans to daily repayment. So I went to the police. They were quiet thru **, Then until 3 days ago I got a note pasted on my door.

So you have more than 1 UML loan now yes?

(1) For the UML that left the note, has the total amount you transferred to them (including interest) exceeded your principle loan sum?

(2) What’s the threat in their note, and what’s your biggest concerns?

(3) Good that you went to the police. If there’s a threat to your safety, good to go again and update on your report.

Don’t borrow to repay anymore bro. It’s not worth it. The debt will keep snowballing until you cannot manage.

Hellobye123

Reaction score
So you have more than 1 UML loan now yes?

(1) For the UML that left the note, has the total amount you transferred to them (including interest) exceeded your principle loan sum?

(2) What’s the threat in their note, and what’s your biggest concerns?

(3) Good that you went to the police. If there’s a threat to your safety, good to go again and update on your report.

Don’t borrow to repay anymore bro. It’s not worth it. The debt will keep snowballing until you cannot manage.

Yes more than 1 UML, but I suspect they are the same person.

1. Yes I believe so, I closed my account this won’t be able to give exact figures.

2. They asked me to call them, and is giving me 3 days.

hungryllama

Reaction score

1. Yes I believe so, I closed my account this won’t be able to give exact figures.

Seems like they don't have your phone number. Did you change your number recently? Otherwise unless they very free, they probably won't come all the way to your house just to tell you to call them. If you call, you'll be giving them your number and an easier way for them to contact/harass you.

Let's say you don't call. What's next would depend on a few things:

- Have you repaid fully? If no, you need to prepare for them to keep coming until you finish repaying. If yes, tricky thing with UML is that some of them will try their luck - i.e treat you like an ATM and keep kicking to see if extra money will fall out. You need to prepare for that too.

- Do they have other personal information of you (besides your address)? Like your work place, Singpass info etc.? It'll be good to take precautions in these areas to protect yourself in case they whack.

I'm exploring these surface issues very briefly with you now bro. But there's no quick and one-off solution, and it depends on your unique situation and what led up to here. I help a lot of people with similar problems as you, and my best advice to you is to seek some help on managing this issue. There're some resources out there, let me know if you want me to PM you these info.

InADilemma01

Reaction score

Stop paying.
Make police report
Install CCTV
Change phone number
Close social media account
Inform NOK

Dun try other ways to solve this issue. You will get into more problem.

ipoopy

Reaction score
Need some advice on ALs..

I whatsapp photo of NRIC + bank transactions over to a foreigner, not knowing it's a stranger and deletion couldn't be done in time.

I've blocked my card and disable phone-in service for my telcom but i am really worried about it....

Will he be able to use the data to borrow loans/make me as a guarantor without me knowing ? Any ways i can prevent this from happening?

Last edited:

InADilemma01

Reaction score
Need some advice on ALs..

I whatsapp photo of NRIC + bank transactions over to a foreigner, not knowing it's a stranger and deletion couldn't be done in time.

I've blocked my card and disable phone-in service for my telcom but i am really worried about it....

Will he be able to use the data to borrow loans/make me as a guarantor without me knowing ? Any ways i can prevent this from happening?

Your info may be used. Make a police report.

kitkat88

Reaction score
Hello recently i got into a case with loansharks. I went to Send the loanshark my IC front and back,video called him with my face,provided my Parents' contact number and my parttime work office number. The loanshark asked me for my info and i gave but when he asked for my singpass Login info i realised it was a loanshark and told him i wasnt interested and blocked him.

He then came and called me with multiple phone numbers and threathened to Come down to my place and showed me a list of pics with 0$P$ graffitis and Doors in flames.

I then went to the police station to file a report. They asked me to Block their number. After i went to the police station, the loanshark told me that he couldnt Transfer money to my Account and that he told me to Lend from him next time. But then i realised they deposited $50 into my account when the loan amount he said was $400. But i still blocked them even after they gave me $50.

Now my question is : Will they still send their runners down to Pour paint etc for the $50 they gave me? (PS* I still havent received the $400 that the loansharks said they were gonna give me)

cw3007

Reaction score
Hello recently i got into a case with loansharks. I went to Send the loanshark my IC front and back,video called him with my face,provided my Parents' contact number and my parttime work office number. The loanshark asked me for my info and i gave but when he asked for my singpass Login info i realised it was a loanshark and told him i wasnt interested and blocked him.

He then came and called me with multiple phone numbers and threathened to Come down to my place and showed me a list of pics with 0$P$ graffitis and Doors in flames.

I then went to the police station to file a report. They asked me to Block their number. After i went to the police station, the loanshark told me that he couldnt Transfer money to my Account and that he told me to Lend from him next time. But then i realised they deposited $50 into my account when the loan amount he said was $400. But i still blocked them even after they gave me $50.

Now my question is : Will they still send their runners down to Pour paint etc for the $50 they gave me? (PS* I still havent received the $400 that the loansharks said they were gonna give me)

Move on. Lesson learnt. No point guessing what they will do, not in yr control.

hungryllama

Reaction score

Hi kitkat88, we cannot control what the loan sharks or scammers will or will not do. But you can definitely do something - that is, to protect yourself in the potential areas they might come harassing or attacking, based on the information they have of you. For example, you might want to tell your parents or workplace that some loan scammers have gotten hold of your info and are threatening you, and that you have made a police report. Let them know not to pick up unknown phone calls. Temporarily deactivate yourself from any social media platforms where they might find you. $50 is not a big sum - it'll be quite a waste of time for them to be hounding you for months over 50 bucks.

green72

Reaction score
add

kitkat88,

Since you've made Police report next thing is just continue to block their number. Don't bother answer their SMS, whatsapp. Block, block, block.

Just keep the $50 for the harassment they did to you. Keep updating the Investigating Officer assign to you.

The only harm they do is hurt your feelings and try to scare you. Seriously for $50, I highly doubt they waste their time and effort on you, IF you stop ALL communication with them.

I and many others was their victim. We know their tactics. No fear.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.