View Single Post
Old 16-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
hmsweethm
Supremacy Member

But as a general rule of thumb, follow the THX's standards of 80Hz. Subwoofers handle low ends way better than most speakers out there. So let it handle the low ends. Low frequencies are also not directional and will generally fill the whole room. So as mentioned, only have a crossover of 80Hz and above. Not anything lower than 80Hz.

In cases where you have to go above 80Hz for your crossover with your speakers and subs is for something like the KEF LS50 Passive speakers. Their frequency range is between 79Hz - 28kHz (at Ī3dB). Therefore, adding 10-15Hz gives you a crossover of 90Hz - 95Hz to get that smooth transition crossover from your subwoofer to your speakers.
The KEF LS50 Wireless has better frequency range and using the standard mode, the range will be from 50Hz Ė 28kHz (at Ī3dB). So you can easily stick to the 80Hz crossover easily.
As for power, if you have a dedicated amplifier to handle your speakers, then any cheap receiver (for as long as it has the amount of speaker ports that you need, like 5.1.2 or 9.2.4, Audio decoding support like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, and most importantly, it has eARC support, you are fine to getting a cheap receiver as long as you have a dedicated amplifier to power your speakers.
But if you have an Active Speaker like the KEF LS50 Wireless that has its own internal amplifier to power the speakers, then you can just concentrate on a receiver as I've mentioned above.

It is usually not advisable to buy the most expensive receivers because of how fast you see receivers need to be replaced to get the latest features and Dolby/DTS codecs and HDMI ports and all. Thus why people generally love dedicated Amplifiers as they are not dependant on all these features that AVRs need to handle. So Amplifiers, like Passive speakers are typically audio products that you can keep forever if you want.

But like me, where space is a constraint for now current HTS setup, I went all out to get the NAD T778. Smaller than even the cheapest Denon/Marantz AVR; letalone their flagship X8500H. So it fits easily to my space constrained cabinet and has the advantage of upgradeable HDMI slots and another slot empty for any kind of future features that might come. Typically the upgrade modules will cost around SG$500 as seen by the current HDMI 2.0 upgrade modules for their super old T758 and T777 models to get updated HDMI 2.0b features. That is roughly how long they've been supporting their devices.

So since the NAT T778 has really powerful 9 channel dedicated amplifiers along with 2 extras to be connected to an external Amplifier for 2 more channel if need be, I am fine with this T778 and can use it for years to come without having to replace a Receiver entirely and do all the stuffs that come with replacing an entire Receiver which I'm sure some of you know. Once in a blue moon, maybe a $500 upgrade for the next HDMI upgrade isn't as bad too considering I get Dirac. Typical speakers need about 50W to 120W of peak power. And unless you play Movies and TVs at reference volumes, there is almost no need to be concerned with having a very powerful amp. Again, this is highly dependant on what speakers you go with.
Ya. Makes sense to go with a cheap AVR with an external amp.
Thatís maximising our hard earned money.
Dun need keep changing AVR.
Nadís concept of upgrading by modules rings into me.
I donít like seeing electronics stuff getting replaced when they are working fine and just because of some minor hw/sw evolution.

So we just need an AVR to have a pre out connection? By a pre out connection, it just means a Pair of + & - connecting poles so that the external amp can just plug into?
I googled and it seems like it. So just want to confirm & chop.

Next is the question of integrated or power amp.
Been reading on this integrated vs power amp.
Integrated has this DAC built in, so theoretically listening to music will be nicer than power amp. Tio boh? Integrated amp has many knobs to tune, whereas power amp dun have.
I donít think currently Iím in the group where will buy all the sub components like processors, external DAC and stuff. Too complicated for me, ainít there yet and probably wonít.
Currently I listen to some songs. Acoustic songs really nice.
But some of those pop, rock & dance songs, the treble can be quite high.
So integrated amp allows me to tune down the treble/bass whereas power amp cannot right?
hmsweethm is online now   Reply With Quote