Recommendation for dual band repeater?

snorex

Reaction score
Hi experts - my current router is not good enough to reach my helper's room. Thus, I am intending to buy this: D-Link Dap-1320.

1) Is this model good?

2) The description says it is an extender. But should I be getting a repeater instead if I want to have the same router SSID and password?

Thank you.

hellgunner

Reaction score
From my own limited experience.

Do consider to just get the ISP router from carousell and use it as Access Point (AP), if you are able to used wired backhaul. You can set to use the same SSID & password.

The range and overall wifi speed for Repeater/Extender can be very small & slow.

snorex

Reaction score
From my own limited experience.

Do consider to just get the ISP router from carousell and use it as Access Point (AP), if you are able to used wired backhaul. You can set to use the same SSID & password.

The range and overall wifi speed for Repeater/Extender can be very small & slow.

Thanks. I have tried configuring the M1 ASUS router using the Pavadan firmware but failed miserably. Is there an ISP router that can easily be configured as an Access Point? Thanks.

hellgunner

Reaction score
Have you tried to use the default firmware? Before trying Pavadan firmware.

Rightfully, should be quite straightforward setting change only.

*I do not have a M1 ASUS router, just using my own experience.

loganrunning

Reaction score
Thanks. I have tried configuring the M1 ASUS router using the Pavadan firmware but failed miserably. Is there an ISP router that can easily be configured as an Access Point? Thanks.

which Asus model did you use?

for AC series onwards, generally, the AP mode was built in.

if it is the RT-AC1200G+, from memory, you can change the default router mode to Access Point mode.
Same for the RT-AC56U

i've not handled the RT-AC2600, but no reason to believe they removed the AP mode.
I believe the RT-AC56S should also have the AP mode, but not sure on that specific model.

most isp routers can be configured as AP.

if no AP mode, connect via lan port, disable dhcp on the router to be ap (will refer to it as the ap), then assign to the ap, an unused ip address in the same subnet as the main router but outside of its dhcp scope.

set the wireless channels. may need to check for congestion and overlap with the main router and neighbours.

your choice of setting same or different ssid and password (for the bands within the ap, and also with the main router). personally i prefer different as it is easier to troubleshoot.

save settings. you may need to reboot. after that, wire up the ap via the lan port back to the lan port of the main router (or switch, if one is used). after that, you are good to go.

edit: dug into my box of stuff. I used a D-Link DAP-1665 AP in my old house. sadly, it got damaged during the move. It's almost plug and play. just connect, log in, set static ip (easier for future configuration), set ssid and password, channels, and done.

quite cheap on carousell too.

Last edited:

snorex

Reaction score
which Asus model did you use?

for AC series onwards, generally, the AP mode was built in.

if it is the RT-AC1200G+, from memory, you can change the default router mode to Access Point mode.
Same for the RT-AC56U

i've not handled the RT-AC2600, but no reason to believe they removed the AP mode.
I believe the RT-AC56S should also have the AP mode, but not sure on that specific model.

most isp routers can be configured as AP.

if no AP mode, connect via lan port, disable dhcp on the router to be ap (will refer to it as the ap), then assign to the ap, an unused ip address in the same subnet as the main router but outside of its dhcp scope.

set the wireless channels. may need to check for congestion and overlap with the main router and neighbours.

your choice of setting same or different ssid and password (for the bands within the ap, and also with the main router). personally i prefer different as it is easier to troubleshoot.

save settings. you may need to reboot. after that, wire up the ap via the lan port back to the lan port of the main router (or switch, if one is used). after that, you are good to go.

edit: dug into my box of stuff. I used a D-Link DAP-1665 AP in my old house. sadly, it got damaged during the move. It's almost plug and play. just connect, log in, set static ip (easier for future configuration), set ssid and password, channels, and done.

quite cheap on carousell too.

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I was given RT-N56U by M1. I called Asus and they confirmed that it cannot do repeater mode, hence I had to use Pavadan and failed to set it up.

Are there any cheap deals going on for routers that can be configured as AP mode?

Thanks

loganrunning

Reaction score
Thanks for the lengthy reply. I was given RT-N56U by M1. I called Asus and they confirmed that it cannot do repeater mode, hence I had to use Pavadan and failed to set it up.

Are there any cheap deals going on for routers that can be configured as AP mode?

Thanks

u r welcome.

almost any mid-range model and above will work. if it is just as an AP, the RT-AC1200G+ works fine. I picked up a few for friends and relatives on carousell, below $20 each. there are other brands and models for about the same or lower price, that will also do, but i mention Asus since you are already familiar with the menu system.

if you are familiar with Asus, the RT-AC56U and above have a setting in "Administration" to change the mode to "AP". Not sure about the RT-AC56S though, have not used it before.

assuming you have already set up the router:
at the main page, on the lower left, click on "Administration"
select "Access Point (AP)"
set the security settings which follow.

once saved, connect as follows:
Main router LAN <---> AP WAN port

this video shows it better than i can write: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG3uzfwL-MM

hope this helps

snorex

Reaction score
once saved, connect as follows:
Main router LAN <---> AP WAN port

Thanks! May I know if it is possible for the existing router (TP Link) to not be connected via lan to new router (RT-AC56U)? My intention is to have this.

1. M1 Modem to TP Link router (via LAN)
2. TP Link router to RT-AC56U (via Wireless)
3. RT-AC56U to Helper's room (via Wireless)

Thanks

Last edited:

leowweiqi

Reaction score
Thanks! May I know if it is possible for the existing router (TP Link) to not be connected via lan to new router (RT-AC56U)? My intention is to have this.

Thanks

Use wds lo on asus

snorex

Reaction score
Use wds lo on asus

Thanks.

The above posters had mentioned the following models.
1. RT-AC1200G+
2. RT-AC56U
3. RT-AC56S
4. 868l
5. ea7500
6. ac56s

Do any of these have this wds feature you are referring to? Otherwise, would you mind recommending me a decently priced model that I can easily configure?

Thanks.

loganrunning

Reaction score

Thanks

sorry for late reply, was out whole day.

yes, WDS as one bro recommended.
i am partial to wire though, avoids many problems.

loganrunning

Reaction score
Thanks.

The above posters had mentioned the following models.
1. RT-AC1200G+
2. RT-AC56U
3. RT-AC56S
4. 868l
5. ea7500
6. ac56s

Do any of these have this wds feature you are referring to? Otherwise, would you mind recommending me a decently priced model that I can easily configure?

Thanks.

can't swear it, but i recall seeing it on RT-AC1200G+ and RT-AC56U.
either didn't see it on the others (doesn't mean it's not there, means i may not have noticed as i was not looking for it lol), or have not used them.

not able to run cable? just asking :)

loganrunning

Reaction score
Asus wds very troublesome to setup, need to put in mac address, channel number in both primay and secondary routers. (for 1200g+)

Ac56u and ac56s has repeater mode, good and easy to set up, so does ea7500 or 8100. dlink 868l a bit tricky when setting up repeater mode

lol the mac entry method is the bridge method.

anyway, the 868l, if i remember, has a "auto zone" mode, which is not mesh, but tries to give a seamless wifi roaming. i haven't tried it though. i think it was also mentioned in the starhub thread.

edit: correction. found it here: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...4/secure-your-router-dir-868l-5499216-13.html

Last edited:

snorex

Reaction score
can't swear it, but i recall seeing it on RT-AC1200G+ and RT-AC56U.
either didn't see it on the others (doesn't mean it's not there, means i may not have noticed as i was not looking for it lol), or have not used them.

not able to run cable? just asking :)

Hey thanks for the reply. Nope unfortunately, can't run a cable to the helper's room. It's too far away.

Asus wds very troublesome to setup, need to put in mac address, channel number in both primay and secondary routers. (for 1200g+)

Ac56u and ac56s has repeater mode, good and easy to set up, so does ea7500 or 8100. dlink 868l a bit tricky when setting up repeater mode

Thank you. Is there a spec listed on a router sales page that will allow me to know whether there is repeater mode or not? For example, if speed is indicated by AC1200, then what should I look out for to find whether repeater mode is available? Reason for asking is that I tried googling "AC56u repeater mode" to see how easy it is to set up and couldn't find any tutorials.

Also, may I know what is the difference between wds and repeater mode? I can't understand the explanation given online.

Thank you.

loganrunning

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply. Nope unfortunately, can't run a cable to the helper's room. It's too far away.

if you can run a cable to position an AP nearer the helper's room, then that would make configuration easier. 1 wall separation should still give useable speed. 2 walls maybe not so good for 5GHz, but may be ok for 2.4GHz (but also affected by number of neighbours competing for the same channel).

(I am assuming she is using a wireless connection to the network).

cheers

edit: if your helper is to be on the main network, the above will work, and your family members can also benefit from the increased coverage. If you intend to have her use a guest account or restrict access to your main network, then some additional work will be needed.

Last edited:

snorex

Reaction score
if you can run a cable to position an AP nearer the helper's room, then that would make configuration easier. 1 wall separation should still give useable speed. 2 walls maybe not so good for 5GHz, but may be ok for 2.4GHz (but also affected by number of neighbours competing for the same channel).

(I am assuming she is using a wireless connection to the network).

cheers

edit: if your helper is to be on the main network, the above will work, and your family members can also benefit from the increased coverage. If you intend to have her use a guest account or restrict access to your main network, then some additional work will be needed.

Thanks. She is connecting via wireless connection but uses the guest network. Unfortunately, we can't run a cable to a position nearer her room.

Can I just clarify on this part of the manual you shared (https://i.imgur.com/pCirbhN.png)
1. My helper wants to connect to the Asus router. Therefore, I should be setting up AP Only mode since WDS Only will disable this feature?
2. Is it possible to create a separate SSID (eg. network_guest) and PW using this new Asus router?

Thanks.

loganrunning

Reaction score
Thanks. She is connecting via wireless connection but uses the guest network. Unfortunately, we can't run a cable to a position nearer her room.

Can I just clarify on this part of the manual you shared (https://i.imgur.com/pCirbhN.png)
1. My helper wants to connect to the Asus router. Therefore, I should be setting up AP Only mode since WDS Only will disable this feature?
2. Is it possible to create a separate SSID (eg. network_guest) and PW using this new Asus router?

Thanks.

@AMAT has described the setup very well.

for the separate SSID and pw, yes, you have up to 3 guest networks per band.

snorex

Reaction score
Hi loganrunning and AMAT,

Many thanks! Btw, some in this thread have recommend purchasing it off Carousell (Not that I really have a choice since I can't find it elsewhere eg. Lazada / Shopee)

However, many of these products are out of warranty and the sellers clearly state "no refund". Do I just have to suck it up and bear the risk that it could turn out faulty?

Thanks.

loganrunning

Reaction score
Hi loganrunning and AMAT,

Many thanks! Btw, some in this thread have recommend purchasing it off Carousell (Not that I really have a choice since I can't find it elsewhere eg. Lazada / Shopee)

However, many of these products are out of warranty and the sellers clearly state "no refund". Do I just have to suck it up and bear the risk that it could turn out faulty?

Thanks.

i have bought a few routers to give away to those in need, or friends/relatives. I accept that they are used and out of warranty (some, gauging from the firmware date, date from 2014 or earlier), and may not work. So long as they power up without an error, i am willing to take a punt (this quick test does not show up degrading or imminent failure parts eg wireless power amplifier).

afterall, what is the downside? max $10 (router+power supply+cat5e/cat6 lan cable) plus transport. acceptable risk (to me). even if the router is bad, i still have a spare power supply+cable.

of course, if you know the insides, you can replace proactively stuff that has a finite lifespan eg electrolytic capacitors.

tl;dr small downside, give it a punt. at worst you are out approx $15 (product + transport)

cheers

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.