*Official* BBCWatcher club

zoneguard

Reaction score
Hi BBCW,

Would like your input on retirement planning

Parents downgraded from Condo to HDB, so we have about 350k in cash, 600k OA. Dad has reached FRS, and mum hit BRS. Dad may work for 1-2 more years.

For BBCW and anybody else to advise, we need your parents' ages since CPF is a age-based scheme, all the FRS/ERS/BHS are tied to their age cohorts. And the rules on top-ups and transfers are all tied to age.

Last edited:

lowveld

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi BBCWatcher,

I was doing some research recently on insurance for foreign spouses and came upon post #32 where you mentioned that some of the choices for foreign spouses were those offered by NTUC Income (e.g. Enhanced IncomeShield Basic and Enhanced IncomeShield C). Could I check that today, these recommendations still stand? Further, I did some digging into the terms and conditions and came upon this line -

Enhanced IncomeShield is available as a Medisave-approved Integrated Shield Plan for insured who is a Singaporean or a Singapore Permanent Resident. This applies as long as the insured meets the eligibility conditions under MediShield. If the insured is a foreigner who has an eligible valid pass with a foreign identification number (FIN), Enhanced IncomeShield is not available as an Integrated Shield Plan.

What does this mean actually and would it affect your recommendation today?

Many thanks, and I do appreciate all the help you've rendered so far!

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would like your input on retirement planning

Parents downgraded from Condo to HDB, so we have about 350k in cash, 600k OA. Dad has reached FRS, and mum hit BRS. Dad may work for 1-2 more years.

I have read through and understood that while CPF is not a bequest vehicle, we can tap on its strengths as an annuity which guarantees monthly payouts for life. I am advising them to transfer dad’s OA to fund their RA to ERS.
That's a nice idea, but there's a limitation to be aware of. Specifically, if you're transferring CPF funds to your own Retirement Account, the funds are drawn first from your Special Account. Since your father is still working presumably he has some savings in his Special Account.

However, your father can transfer some of his CPF savings to your mother (his wife), and that transfer will draw directly from his Ordinary Account first. That transfer can be up to the current Enhanced Retirement Sum ($271,500 in 2020) if they wish, so your mother's Retirement Account can be much bigger if desired. Likewise, your mother can transfer Ordinary Account savings she may have to her husband (your father), up to the same limit (ERS).

The ERS for a Retirement Account is measured based only on principal, not on interest. Every time the ERS is raised it's possible to make another transfer (or add a cash top up) if desired. But the important part is that they should cross-transfer if they have SA dollars on hand, if possible, since that'll draw from OA first, not from higher interest earning SA. Yes, this is a little weird, but that's how the rules work.

It's still quite prudent for them to maintain a reasonable pool of liquid funds for emergencies, in CPF SA+OA and/or elsewhere, but yes, they should be able to shift some funds into their RAs, starting with your mother's (since hers is much lower), to boost retirement income.

I am worried that my dad may have loss of independence.

As such, do you think that a retirement plan from private insurers(Manuife RetireReady Plus II, NTUC Income Gro Retire Ease, Aviva MyRetirement Choice) that provides additional payouts upon loss of independence, on top of CPF Life would be useful as opposed to VC?
That wouldn't be my first choice. CareShield Life will presumably be available to your father (and mother) from mid-2021, and that's probably most directly responsive to this concern. They could also take a look at Tokio Marine's TM Protect 1 if they're looking for something focused on this particular class of risks that has a less demanding definition of disability, but "take a look at" doesn't necessarily mean "buy."

For BBCW and anybody else to advise, we need your parents' ages since CPF is a age-based scheme, all the FRS/ERS/BHS are tied to their age cohorts. And the rules on top-ups and transfers are all tied to age.
Well, yes, but in this case we probably have enough information so far since both of these parents evidently have Retirement Accounts (i.e. they're age 55+).

I was doing some research recently on insurance for foreign spouses and came upon post #32 where you mentioned that some of the choices for foreign spouses were those offered by NTUC Income (e.g. Enhanced IncomeShield Basic and Enhanced IncomeShield C). Could I check that today, these recommendations still stand?
No, unfortunately not. Enhanced IncomeShield C is no longer available to any new applicants. Moreover, it appears that none of the Integrated Shield plans designed to cover public hospital B1 ward are available to foreigners (non-Singaporean citizens/non-PRs) for new signups. (An ex-citizen or ex-PR who wants to keep an Integrated Shield plan can do so by paying a higher premium.)

However, some of the public hospital A ward Integrated Shield plans are available to foreigners. Prudential's is, for example.

Last edited:

toaddd

Reaction score
Hi bbcwatcher. Need some advice thanks.
I have around 50k that I am investing in sti etf. Have put it 10k to singlife and 20k to dasheasyearn. I have enough emergency funds and I have like 50k of savings that I want to put into somewhere which can grow.. I am 28 and don’t plan of getting married or have kids so I can retire earlier. My goal is to get a 2 room bto by 38 and semi retire by then. A agent introduced me to a premium policy ntuc vivoweath solitaire for 40k and the unique thing is said that I can take bank loan of 100k to leverage since the bank loan interest is Low right now. I will have a good return And payout if I surreender at 55. Is that a good idea. If not what do you advice for my reminding 50k savings? Thanks a lot sorry I don’t have much financial knowledge.

And what insurance do you recommend someone with no dependents? I only have great eastern hospital term plan that all. Thanks

Last edited:

Kaypohji

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious. If the plan is 40k why do u need to borrow 100k?

Maybe u can list down the cost and value here so bbcw or anyone can have a look for u. U can calculate IRR to see if it’s worth it

But do note that there is non guaranteed portion in the return.

Hi bbcwatcher. Need some advice thanks.
I have around 50k that I am investing in sti etf. Have put it 10k to singlife and 20k to dasheasyearn. I have enough emergency funds and I have like 50k of savings that I want to put into somewhere which can grow.. I am 28 and don’t plan of getting married or have kids so I can retire earlier. My goal is to get a 2 room bto by 38 and semi retire by then. A agent introduced me to a premium policy ntuc vivoweath solitaire for 40k and the unique thing is said that I can take bank loan of 100k to leverage since the bank loan interest is Low right now. I will have a good return And payout if I surreender at 55. Is that a good idea. If not what do you advice for my reminding 50k savings? Thanks a lot sorry I don’t have much financial knowledge.

And what insurance do you recommend someone with no dependents? I only have great eastern hospital term plan that all. Thanks

toaddd

Reaction score
Just curious. If the plan is 40k why do u need to borrow 100k?

Maybe u can list down the cost and value here so bbcw or anyone can have a look for u. U can calculate IRR to see if it’s worth it

But do note that there is non guaranteed portion in the return.

I would then put in 140k by taking 100k loan. Sorry I am not well versed so I am not sure what’s the irr . Yeah I know that the policy most likely won’t fulfill the 4.25% so I take in the 3.25% instead and there will be profits if I don’t surrender by 40 years old. I don’t really need the funds right now as they are for retirement.and just want it to grow.

zoneguard

Reaction score
I would then put in 140k by taking 100k loan. Sorry I am not well versed so I am not sure what’s the irr . Yeah I know that the policy most likely won’t fulfill the 4.25% so I take in the 3.25% instead and there will be profits if I don’t surrender by 40 years old. I don’t really need the funds right now as they are for retirement.and just want it to grow.

Stated objective:
Semi retirement at 38. Own a 2 room BTO.

Fact finding:
1. How's the CPF OA/SA/MA balances?
2. What's the monthly/annual expenses?
3. Is the Great Eastern Hosp. plan a HS/IntegratedShield plan? I thought the product name is 'Great Supremehealth'?
4. You intend to leverage by borrowing to purchase a WLP? My suggestion: Don't! Until you know how to calculate IRR and make sense of the numbers yourself and that you are not taking on too much risk by borrowing even though it is for a policy.
5. You already DIY with STI ETF. Why not continue to DIY but extend it with a world equity ETF like IWDA or VWRA and bring the cost down by doing it yourself. When you DIY, you are not paying for the agent's commission and gain the potential returns.

Let's wait for others to chip in too.

toaddd

Reaction score
Stated objective:

Fact finding:
3. Is the Great Eastern Hosp. plan a HS/IntegratedShield plan? I thought the product name is 'Great Supremehealth'?
4. You intend to leverage by borrowing to purchase a WLP? My suggestion: Don't! Until you know how to calculate IRR and make sense of the numbers yourself and that you are not taking on too much risk by borrowing even though it is for a policy.
5. You already DIY with STI ETF. Why not continue to DIY but extend it with a world equity ETF like IWDA or VWRA and bring the cost down by doing it yourself. When you DIY, you are not paying for the agent's commission and gain the potential returns.

Let's wait for others to chip in too.

1. I have 50000 oa. 30000 sa. 20000 ma
2. Monthly expenses is Low should be around 300 plus. My monthly salary is 3500 before cpf.
3. Yes it’s that plan.
4. I will try to calculate I need a financial calculator?
5. Actually my dca of sti etf is not doing well maybe cause of COVID hope it recover soon so I am thinking of using other methods to save

zoneguard

Reaction score
2. Monthly expenses is Low should be around 300 plus. My monthly salary is 3500 before cpf.
3. Yes it’s that plan.
4. I will try to calculate I need a financial calculator?
5. Actually my dca of sti etf is not doing well maybe cause of COVID hope it recover soon so I am thinking of using other methods to save

1. Plug in your numbers into doody's CPF calculator:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/cpf-calculator-5589081.html and adjust for current FRS/BHS.
See if the numbers with your monthly contributions make sense for the price of 2 room BTO at age 38. You should work the sums to see if you can reach FRS for your age.
2. 300?? You are staying with your parents? We need the full picture of the expenses because when you semi retire, you need to fund most of the family 'subsidized' expenses yourself.
3. Excel or Google Sheets. Financial calculator also Ok.
4. DIY is always cheaper than agent/advisor based investment.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
toaddd said:
I have around 50k that I am investing in sti etf. Have put it 10k to singlife and 20k to dasheasyearn. I have enough emergency funds and I have like 50k of savings that I want to put into somewhere which can grow.. I am 28 and don’t plan of getting married or have kids so I can retire earlier. My goal is to get a 2 room bto by 38 and semi retire by then. A agent introduced me to a premium policy ntuc vivoweath solitaire for 40k and the unique thing is said that I can take bank loan of 100k to leverage since the bank loan interest is Low right now. I will have a good return And payout if I surreender at 55. Is that a good idea.
No, I don't think so. You would assume the risk of rising interest rates, and that's a pretty hefty amount of risk.

If not what do you advice for my reminding 50k savings?
I should point out that you presently don't have any global diversification in your investments, and I think it's prudent to have some such diversification. The popular choice is a low cost global stock index fund. Beyond the lump sum you have ready to deploy, what's your expected monthly savings flow rate?

And what insurance do you recommend someone with no dependents? I only have great eastern hospital term plan that all.
Disability Income Insurance (DII).

Stated objective:
Fact finding:
The major issue is that you're really pretty screwed if interest rates rise, especially early on. It's ugly to exit in that sort of scenario. In recent past examinations and discussions of these arrangements the general view is that it's not a good deal.

OK, so let's suppose your 2 room BTO costs $150,000 all-in (2020 dollars), with $130,000 for the unit and $20,000 for other expenses (let's suppose). If you're eligible for a HDB loan at that time then you'll need 10% down, or $13,000, which can come from your Ordinary Account. If you're going to take a (tiny) bank loan -- assuming that's possible -- then you can use 20% ($26,000) from your Ordinary Account and will need another $6,500 (5%) in cash. To repeat, these are 2020 dollars. There will likely be a little inflation between now and 2028 to 2030. (If the "Bank of Mom and Dad" is involved, you can adjust these figures.)

Anyway, I'm sketching out those figures to illustrate that you may or may not want to drag $50,000+ in your Ordinary Account. "It depends." I think you can get a minimum $100,000 bank mortgage (i.e. a BTO purchased for at least $133,334), but it's pretty rare. If you're quite sure you're going to be eligible for a HDB loan when the time comes, then I think you just concern yourself with having the 10% down payment (which can be all OA if you wish) when the time comes, plus enough cash for the various incidentals such as outfitting, and you're all set. It's at least a little more complicated if you don't think you'll be eligible for a HDB loan. You do have OA to SA transfers available, and upgrading from 2.5% to 4.0% interest isn't a bad thing, as long as you maintain adequate liquidity.

So you're saving ~$2,500/month currently (after income tax and CPF)?

But that's good, actually. You really want your stock buys to be as inexpensive as possible now. That part is not a bad thing as long as you're dollar cost averaging and have a long time horizon. At age 28 you probably do, even if you are trying to semi-retire at 38.

2. 300?? You are staying with your parents? We need the full picture of the expenses because when you semi retire, you need to fund most of the family 'subsidized' expenses yourself.
However, if subsidized living works for you, and if it's reasonable to expect it'll continue for the next ~10 years, that's certainly OK financially.

Last edited:

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score
What will happen to ibkr white labels that accept Singapore residents and citizens when ibkr itself moving them to ib-sg?

Yello10

Reaction score
Hi BBCWatcher

Appreciate your advice on insurance for myself

- F, employed, ANB 34 (singaporean). Married no kids

My insurance:
- Integrated Shield Plan, paying about $58/month via medisave. Fully covered for private hospital. Is it worth it to downgrade for co-pay? Issue is this plan will be very expensive when i hit 40 y.o.
- Late stage CI plan (150k, mutipay 3 times) $96/month.
- GE plan covered by CPF $48 p.a

I realised i am lacking death benefit, early CI coverage, as well as DII.

I am thinking of getting additional:
- Term plan with coverage of $300k
- Early CI plan $50k multipay
- DII plan $3.5k

Appreciate your kind advise, please :)

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What will happen to ibkr white labels that accept Singapore residents and citizens when ibkr itself moving them to ib-sg?
I don’t know. Maybe nothing.

Appreciate your advice on insurance for myself
- F, employed, ANB 34 (singaporean). Married no kids
My insurance:
- Integrated Shield Plan, paying about $58/month via medisave. Fully covered for private hospital. Is it worth it to downgrade for co-pay? Issue is this plan will be very expensive when i hit 40 y.o.
I think the least expensive rider is fine, sure. It’ll still cap out of pocket costs (cash and/or MediSave payable) for covered services at S$3,000 per policy year.

- Late stage CI plan (150k, mutipay 3 times) $96/month.
- GE plan covered by CPF $48 p.a
I realised i am lacking death benefit, early CI coverage, as well as DII.
By “GE plan,” do you mean the Dependants’ Protection Scheme? I assume so based on that premium figure. That is a death benefit — it’s term life insurance, with TPD insurance, to age 60.

I am thinking of getting additional:
- Term plan with coverage of $300k
- Early CI plan $50k multipay
- DII plan $3.5k
Appreciate your kind advise, please :)
Well, as far as life insurance, do you have a dependent who is presently underinsured? That’s someone who is genuinely dependent on your income, who would be seriously impaired in terms of supporting his/her not-overly-lavish lifestyle if you were to die tomorrow, after factoring in your existing life insurance payout (DPS), your share of Home Protection Scheme coverage (if applicable), and residual assets (including CPF savings that you have nominated).

DII is really important, but evidently you’ve read my thoughts about that. If S$3,500 is less than 75% of your current monthly income from work, would it be enough income to age 65? Bear in mind it’s S$3,500 in 2020 dollars through the year 2050 (about +30 years).

I don’t think Early CI is particularly important.

Yello10

Reaction score
I think the least expensive rider is fine, sure. It’ll still cap out of pocket costs (cash and/or MediSave payable) for covered services at S$3,000 per policy year.

By “GE plan,” do you mean the Dependants’ Protection Scheme? I assume so based on that premium figure. That is a death benefit — it’s term life insurance, with TPD insurance, to age 60.

Well, as far as life insurance, do you have a dependent who is presently underinsured? That’s someone who is genuinely dependent on your income, who would be seriously impaired in terms of supporting his/her not-overly-lavish lifestyle if you were to die tomorrow, after factoring in your existing life insurance payout (DPS), your share of Home Protection Scheme coverage (if applicable), and residual assets (including CPF savings that you have nominated).

DII is really important, but evidently you’ve read my thoughts about that. If S$3,500 is less than 75% of your current monthly income from work, would it be enough income to age 65? Bear in mind it’s S$3,500 in 2020 dollars through the year 2050 (about +30 years).

I don’t think Early CI is particularly important.

Noted on the ISP suggestion. Yes, you're right on the DPS under GE.

I'm trying to understand the reason of early CI not particularly important: is it mainly because treatment/day surgeries/ specified outpatient treatment are covered in ISP?

I do not have a dependent, but considering to have kids in future. My husband is a foreigner, employed, waiting for PR. His company provide insurance for him (i dont know what's the coverage). Definitely applying ISP when his PR approved. Right now, im considering term plan + CI and DII for him.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand the reason of early CI not particularly important: is it mainly because treatment/day surgeries/ specified outpatient treatment are covered in ISP?
Yes, and if the illness or ailment -- even an illness or ailment that ECI doesn't cover -- disrupts your ability to work and earn an income for longer than 60 to 180 days (depending on the waiting period you select -- I'd pick the longest), DII has you covered.

Remember, ECI coverage isn't free. (Far from it.) You've got to part with cold, hard cash to pay for it -- cash you could use for any calamity or catastrophe when cash would help.

I do not have a dependent, but considering to have kids in future. My husband is a foreigner, employed, waiting for PR. His company provide insurance for him (i dont know what's the coverage). Definitely applying ISP when his PR approved. Right now, im considering term plan + CI and DII for him.
Company-provided insurance is often inadequate, so he ought to dig into that a bit. If he's living in Singapore he can buy Integrated Shield coverage now if he wishes. Some of the public hospital A ward plans are available to foreigners, such as Prudential's PRUShield Plus for example. All of the private hospital Integrated Shield plans are as well, but usually the public hospital plan makes more sense, to fill gaps in employer-provided coverage (if there are some). DII is important for him, yes. I don't consider CI, ECI, or PA to be insurance necessities, generally.

Neither one of you need to buy more/any life insurance until the "genuine underinsured dependent" threshold is about to be crossed. A child on the way might very well cross that threshold, sure. Merely having a spouse may or may not, and you do have some life insurance coverage already.

Yello10

Reaction score
Yes, and if the illness or ailment -- even an illness or ailment that ECI doesn't cover -- disrupts your ability to work and earn an income for longer than 60 to 180 days (depending on the waiting period you select -- I'd pick the longest), DII has you covered.

Remember, ECI coverage isn't free. (Far from it.) You've got to part with cold, hard cash to pay for it -- cash you could use for any calamity or catastrophe when cash would help.

Company-provided insurance is often inadequate, so he ought to dig into that a bit. If he's living in Singapore he can buy Integrated Shield coverage now if he wishes. Some of the public hospital A ward plans are available to foreigners, such as Prudential's PRUShield Plus for example. All of the private hospital Integrated Shield plans are as well, but usually the public hospital plan makes more sense, to fill gaps in employer-provided coverage (if there are some). DII is important for him, yes. I don't consider CI, ECI, or PA to be insurance necessities, generally.

Neither one of you need to buy more/any life insurance until the "genuine underinsured dependent" threshold is about to be crossed. A child on the way might very well cross that threshold, sure. Merely having a spouse may or may not, and you do have some life insurance coverage already.

Thank you for your advise. I guess agent do what they have to do, which is to sell. :flash:

Boiboi321

Reaction score
BBCW, what are some of the best books (any genre) you’ve read that you would recommend for reading? Also, what are some websites / publications / newsletters that you read on a regular basis?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BBCW, what are some of the best books (any genre) you’ve read that you would recommend for reading?
I don't have any particular book recommendations. Probably any book you enjoy reading is fine. Among financial books I suspect practically anything Jack Bogle wrote is worth reading, as long as you don't take the U.S. context (such as a specific portfolio allocation recommendation) too literally if you're trying to apply it to a Singaporean context.

Also, what are some websites / publications / newsletters that you read on a regular basis?
I cast a wide net. Yahoo! Finance is surprisingly decent as a financial news aggregator and a place to look up quotes. (Not that I look up quotes very much.) The iShares U.K. Web site covers the bulk of the interesting Irish domiciled/London listed funds, so it's useful for a quick lookup pending a more comprehensive search. These are funds I don't personally touch, but a few are useful for non-U.S. persons.

Oddly enough I visit shopping sites fairly often, when there's something that needs to be purchased. Saving one dollar, prudently anyway (not impacting required quality), works equally as well as earning one dollar. In Singapore that means (in no particular order) Lazada, Qoo10, Shopee, Amazon (in more than one country), Carousell, Gumtree, Craigslist, eBay, Aliexpress....there are many.

Last edited:

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough I visit shopping sites fairly often, when there's something that needs to be purchased. Saving one dollar, prudently anyway (not impacting required quality), works equally as well as earning one dollar. In Singapore that means (in no particular order) Lazada, Qoo10, Shopee, Amazon (in more than one country), Carousel, Gumtree, Craigslist, eBay, Aliexpress....there are many.
:s13::s13: I don't think he was looking for online shopping recommendations.

Anyway I can recommend https://thefinance.sg/ for local financial blogs aggregation.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.