iCloud or Microsoft One Drive

Singrish

Reaction score
As i’m using office 365, i get 1TB of space on One Drive which is plenty. It also has a “vault” which requires a password (or face scan on iphone or finger print scan on MBP) to access sensitive docs.

No complaints so far but just wondering how many of you use it or do you prefer iCloud & why.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
iCloud for auto backup of iPhone.

But it doesn’t necessary have to be a choice between the 2. Both can complement each other

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score
Just use Onedrive since you've paid for Office 365. Why pay for another service if the 1TB on Onedrive is sufficient for your needs?

I have Office 365 and store all my stuff on Onedrive. I am using a 128GB MacBook Pro so to be able to access all my files in the cloud and only download the ones that I need is important. Last time always run out of hard drive space. I think Dropbox paid version has this feature too. Not sure about iCloud.

I use the iCloud free account for my iPhone backup.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
iCloud is also less interoperable. OneDrive is much more so - you are more likely to find apps that support OneDrive, particularly outside the ecosystem. This is important if you are working with people from other platforms (Windows/*nix/Android)

Terminating my iCloud account for OneDrive too, since it's far more useful imo.

robertgl

Reaction score
I use iCloud for just my backup. for everything else I use Onedrive. However notice sometimes my phone is unable to view the files in the Onedrive folder

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
At work, all my work related files are synced with OneDrive. It is really convenient in that aspect. Changing laptop, no issues. Sharing files, no issues. Initial backup is a pain if you have lots of files, but after that it is pretty smooth.

Still OneDrive is good for backing up files but it does not seems to be a good one for photos backup. iCloud and the free Google Photos are much better in this aspect. I do not want to pay for 2TB iCloud, so I use the free Google Photos for that purpose. Then I use the free iCloud for iPhone/iPads backup.

Singrish

Reaction score
Guess i’ll just continue using One Drive to backup the bulk of my stuff esp photos & videos but use iCloud for docs & of course iphone backups.

Zaalaa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One Drive - random files & documents
Google Photo - Photos
iCloud - iPhone minus photos & videos

AGEMO-08

Reaction score
normally i use icloud for phone backup only while onedrive is mainly for my personal storage place.

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I pay for e 50gb iCloud tier. prefer native experience.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I pay for e 50gb iCloud tier. prefer native experience.

That should be good enough if you do not take lots of photos/videos.

For my household we need the 2TB tier as the photos have exceeded 350GB already across the 3 iPhones under active use and it is growing (two 256GB iPhones and one 128GB iPhone, then two 32GB iPads). I do not mind paying S$1.28 for 50GB or even S$3.98 for 200GB. But S$12.98 is a bit steep. And then Google Photos app is really not bad.

Apple only offer 5GB free tier, 50GB/200GB/2TB paid tier.

Singapore (SGD)
50GB: S$ 1.28
200GB: S$ 3.98
2TB: S$ 12.98

Last edited:

undergrd

Reaction score
Im using both and i preferred one drive. One drive has better features. I used one drive to keep all my impt docs of myself and my fam. These impt docs are those that I permanently keep it. Icloud mainly for backup of my iphone + keeping those temp docs that i knw eventually i will delete.

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That should be good enough if you do not take lots of photos/videos.

For my household we need the 2TB tier as the photos have exceeded 350GB already across the 3 iPhones under active use and it is growing (two 256GB iPhones and one 128GB iPhone, then two 32GB iPads). I do not mind paying S$1.28 for 50GB or even S$3.98 for 200GB. But S$12.98 is a bit steep. And then Google Photos app is really not bad.

Apple only offer 5GB free tier, 50GB/200GB/2TB paid tier.

Singapore (SGD)
50GB: S$ 1.28
200GB: S$ 3.98
2TB: S$ 12.98

personal opinion, I stay away from google. I prefer not to have my data with a data mining coy esp personal photos.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
personal opinion, I stay away from google. I prefer not to have my data with a data mining coy esp personal photos.

Yes I see that people may get worried about Google (and Facebook and Microsoft).

On the other hand, we got too many things with Google, so in a sense no problem for them to know more.

But I agree Apple may have better track record in terms of privacy. But then we have Android devices as well and Apple services are not that easy to use under Android.

I like to be OS neutral whenever possible and Google apps are better in this aspect.

Last edited:

Singrish

Reaction score
Yes I see that people may get worried about Google (and Facebook and Microsoft).

On the other hand, we got too many things with Google, so in a sense no problem for them to know more.

But I agree Apple may have better track record in terms of privacy. But then we have Android devices as well and Apple services are not that easy to use under Android.

I like to be OS neutral whenever possible and Google apps are better in this aspect.
What i like about One Drive is its vault for super important docs. So u need to login with password & Authenticator app to access one drive. And then again log in to access vault.

Some might argue its futile since if u have the password u can login twice for One Drive and vault but I guess that’s where the Authenticator app comes im useful. But if somehow even the Authenticator gets compromised then GG lah.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What i like about One Drive is its vault for super important docs. So u need to login with password & Authenticator app to access one drive. And then again log in to access vault.

Some might argue its futile since if u have the password u can login twice for One Drive and vault but I guess that’s where the Authenticator app comes im useful. But if somehow even the Authenticator gets compromised then GG lah.

OneDrive works well for everything except photos. That is the main issue I have with OneDrive.

I use OneDrive and Authenticator apps for work and they work very well.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.